All the Pretty Horses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All the Pretty Horses Reviews

½ May 18, 2016
This one finally put me to sleep
May 3, 2016
The ending was not as emotional as I think it should or could have been. But the rest of the movie was pleasant.
December 18, 2015
Loses all the spark of the novel.
November 29, 2015
You can tell this movie would really benefit from a director's cut.
October 10, 2015
Slow, and with a slight story. Not terrible, just unsatisfying. Could have been much better.
May 6, 2015
While there are good things about this as a movie (Damon and the landscapes), the producers have tried to turn the novel into a Hollywood romance, which it isn't. It's a fantastic novel and not really translatable into a film. This movie motivates me in my decision to read more and watch movies less.
½ February 21, 2015
"All The Pretty Horses" contains plenty of beautiful cinematography, but slacks off in its narrative because it draws out its story way too far. And despite noble efforts from Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz, the script does not give them enough screen time together to have an actually functioning romance plot.
June 11, 2014
Different/Just OK/Not Bad/Kinda Liked, but Didn't like.
April 22, 2014
I did not read the book but I think this movie is great!
½ April 12, 2014
It is very true to the novel, but it seems rushed in order to get all the important scenes and dialogue into a 2 hour movie, so it comes across rather unrealistic and forced.
½ March 26, 2014
Wednesday, March 26, 2014

(2000) All The Pretty Horses
DRAMA

Co-written and directed by Billy Bob Thorton adapting the best selling novel by Cormac McCarthy who was also credited for providing the screenplay. Takes place right after WWII, with best friends, John Grady(Matt Damon) and Rawlins(Henry Thomas) craving for the old western life. But when mom agrees to sell the huge ranch property to the oil companies, so that she can retire to sunny side California, the two then decide to head across the border to Mexico so that they can continue their rustling life. And they end up taking in an underage 16 year old runaway, named Blevins(Lucas Black) unaware what is waiting for them. Although, the movie has an ending, the entire journey seems so artificial.

2 out of 4 stars
February 9, 2014
There are certainly worse ways to spend two hours, especially if you're interested in seeing an adaptation with at least glimpses of the great movie it could have been. Also Thorton uses some interesting camerawork here and there and sure knows how to frame character monologues. But ultimately, I'm not even sure I can blame the pesty scissor hands of Harvey Weinstein for the lifeless melodrama of "All the Pretty Horses".
February 8, 2014
Dull, dull, dull. After the first hour I just did not care. Flat, predictable performances, silly and pretentious romance plot. Cruz and the old bird who played her aunt irritated me to no end. No idea what the point to this story and film actually was.
½ December 19, 2013
There are some great moments that mainly occur in the third act; however, the romance aspect is not convincing, the story lags at times and the energy in front and behind the camera is sluggish. Not that the source material is McCarthy's best--it's beautiful, but, "Blood Meridian", "Suttree", "Cities of the Plain" and "The Road" . . . Anyway, if one is a Cormac fan the adaptation is worth a look but is unworthy of any praise.
½ August 13, 2013
All The Pretty Horses wasn't the most interesting novel to me so I wouldn't think that if it was a poor adaptation of the novel that half the changed would bother me.

The first thing that did bother me, however was the fact that a All The Pretty Horses cuts off a significant amount of the importance from the first scenes in the novel and paces it exasperatingly fast for a western film or particularly one based on such a slow novel. It gives no depth or explanation into why the characters are traveling, rather giving a rushed summary of some of the most important events in the story. It eventually deteriorates into being a dramatically uninvolving story which makes it a boring one with little entertainment value or understanding of what importance it's source novel had as it follows a completely different film style which includes changes such as translating the Spanish language from the original novel which takes away its bleak ambiguity which made it important or relevant whatsoever. Frankly, Billy Bob Thorton takes the opportunity to adapt a classic of western literature and dumbs it down to Kim Kardashian standards. His direction was effortless and terrible on All The Pretty Horses, and he deserves a Golden Raspberry Award nomination for his errors as director of Cormac McCarthy's western piece.
Eventually, All The Pretty Horses deteriorates into being an unintentional comedy because the general quality of it is so low and so poor that watching the blank expressions on Matt Damon's face became humourous to me. I mean, I didn't really enjoy the novel but the film is one of the most scandalous western wastes I've ever seen, and remember I've seen Heaven's Gate. All The Pretty Horses should have its entire title dubbed to something else so audiences don't think it's pretty or in anyway related to Cormac McCarthy's novel. Truly, Billy Bob Thorton gives some of his worst direction here, because he decides to strip the subplots off down to the bare story as then only bother to capture less than a third of it in an inaccurate and poor manner, dragging down the talents of the cast with him by wasting their skills on a mediocre script and having them use sub-par acting.
When I say sub par, I mean that Matt Damon underacts, and Penelope Cruz overacts so poorly that they have the chemistry of William Shatner and Kristen Stewart. And in case that reference isn't clear, that would be bad chemistry. And this IS bad chemistry. And eventually, I forgot the character Blevins ever existed because Henry Thomas seems to have just petered out along the way.
This film just sucked, as did its editing, shaky cinematography and rough visual quality.
The only thing keeping me from calling it one of the worst movies of all time was that I found myself generally impressed with Lucas Black's performance as Jimmy Blevins was great. He put understanding into the character and conveyed who he was: a confident and strong man in a chulds body, and I believed him. I actually learned more about Jimmy Blevins thanks to Lucas Black's performance, so things completely bad even though he gets stuck with a flimsy script.
Also, the music was ok.

But overall, there is nothing Pretty about All The Pretty Horses and I'm sure 57 better films could have been made on the $57 million budget that this film was produced on.
½ July 28, 2013
Ignore the mediocre ratings. This is a decent movie, worth watching.
½ July 27, 2013
A Cormac McCarthy novel. Excellent movie.
June 8, 2013
Ha-WOW! I love it! :)
January 6, 2013
I feel this movie was way under rated. It is one of my favorite movies. Also, I think Billy Bob Thornton did a fantastic job as well as all the other actors that played in it. Although, I tend to appreciate the true art of the directors, cinematography, and acting of the apparently lesser appreciated movies than the Hollywood blockbusters that most of the people enjoy.
January 5, 2013
this seems like a heart felt movie about love and being with the person you love no matter the cost. and plus i love horses