All the Real Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All the Real Girls Reviews

½ April 9, 2017
It's a movie of deft impressions and telling human moments. Whether or not those impressions and moments add up to anything is almost beside the point.
March 21, 2017
Crossing another David Gordon Green film off the list, this one is solid, with a small town love story about a guy dating his friend's sister while trying to shake a reputation that he may break her heart. The film was slightly puzzling to me, in that the actors seemed to be playing these character's much younger than I would have expected, with reactions you'd see in people of a much younger age, but after I got used to that it wasn't so distracting.

Well worth a look and I'm happy to say that this director has yet to let me down with any of the films he's made.
½ February 1, 2017
Noel: You're the first person that I've wanted to tell that to, 'cause your the first person that I've wanted to talk to for more than five minutes... ever.

Paul vive con su madre y trabaja como mecánico en un pequeño pueblo, donde tiene la reputación de ser un rompecorazones. Cuando conoce a Noel, la hermana de su mejor amigo, su vida cambia radicalmente y esta vez siente el miedo que conlleva enamorarse y entregarse completamente a otra persona.

All the Real Girls me tomó por sorpresa, porque no esperaba que la historia capturara de manera tan realista lo confuso, doloroso y maravilloso que puede ser enamorarse. La historia no compromete en ningún momento el realismo que hace esta película tan especial, y de esta manera rompe todos los estereotipos que seguiría una historia de amor. Esta película no se preocupa de que sus protagonistas tengan un final feliz, sino de contar su historia de amor de la manera más natural posible, con todas sus fallas. La compararía a Blue Valentine, pero ambientada en la America rural.

David Gordon Green logra una fluidez en su dirección en la cual sientes que estás viendo una relación real y no la idealiza. A la final estas personas, como todas, tienen sus fallas y problemas, que sólo pueden ser resueltos por ellos mismos, y tienen que aprender que sus circunstancias no excusan sus comportamientos. Logramos ver con Paul, su situación claramente, y como la relación con su mamá y con sus amigos, llega a influenciar su relación con Noel. De Noel no tenemos tanta información, pero lo que sabemos parece ser suficiente para lograr entender sus motivos detrás de sus decisiones.

All the Real Girls es de las mejores películas que he visto acerca de relaciones, y no puedo entender como no es tan conocida.
July 11, 2016
So honest and a lot of believable chemistry between Paul and Zooey!!! One of my fav movies!
October 5, 2015
beautiful, honest, strong movie
½ July 15, 2015
Zooey is great as always, and the story is raw and real.
January 7, 2015
All the Real Girls is a well acted film staring Paul Schneider and Zooey Deschanel. This film is about finally reaching a level of maturity where others are before yourself. There is excellent character development and the characters are so likeable. Zooey Deschanel does a great job at portraying the innocent and loveable character. The short scene and jumps in time work well to hold focus on the development of the characters. The ending is left open and could have been done a bit better but the point of the film was growth and maturing, not finding true love.
June 14, 2014
real,heartbreaking,frustrating, and well written.
January 29, 2014
Sorry, didn't see much point to this film. Some of the cinematography was beautiful, but otherwise, what started as a nice love story turned into a story about a hypocrite who had made plenty of mistakes himself not being able to forgive a confused younger girl for one she made.
January 10, 2014
splendid. David Gordon Green is getting it right
½ March 18, 2013
All the Real Girls is a film of tender romance, one that is rarely seen in the movies. It has little plot, being approached much more like a documentary than your normal drama. Much of it appears to be improvised, and I would almost believe that the relationship between the two leads was real instead of scripted, based on their chemistry and the way that each scene plays out. You stop becoming aware that you're watching a movie. You forget that the camera is showing you these events and that you're not just standing there, watching these people go about their lives.

The cause of all the drama is a man named Paul (Paul Schneider), a former womanizer who wants to start turning his life around. He meets Noel (Zooey Deschanel) before our film even begins, and in the very first scene we see them together, he refuses to kiss her on the lips. Why? Because he's afraid. Afraid that he'd have to explain himself, and possibly because he doesn't want his past tendencies to take over. She, in her first real relationship, has no clue what she's doing.

However, because she trusts him intimately -- each one is clearly in love with the other; we can see that clearly -- she lets him make the decisions regarding how fast the relationship moves. There's not a whole lot of tension here, save for Noel's brother, Tip (Shea Whigham), starting to wonder if Paul is the right guy for her, and another twist in the story that I'm not going to reveal, as you need to witness it for yourself. It'll be more powerful that way.

Much of the film involves talking. That's pretty much it. You learn a lot about each of the main characters this way, and the seemingly heavily improvised dialogue always gives you something interesting to hear. I'm sure the characters were given to the actors and they were given a basic direction regarding how each scene should play out. Afterward, they were free to make up their own words and the camera would just focus on them for as long as they wanted to go on.

This makes the characters for real, as they basically are. Maybe many of the emotions aren't actually being felt by these actors, but they're so convincing that it doesn't matter. They're fully in character, and they're saying whatever it is that they think their character would be thinking about at the time. And Director David Gordon Green, in his second feature, just allows them to go about it. He places his trust in these actors, and the payoff is superb. These characters become real, not like most movie people, and we care for them all the more because of this.

There are a couple of additional subplots, like Paul's relationship with his mother (Patricia Clarkson), with whom he still lives despite being in his mid twenties, or the one between Paul and all of his friends, but the focus is most definitely on the one with Noel. Every scene that the two characters share are worthwhile. They're given all the time in the world to talk, to work on things, and to show us who they are. It's only natural that we care about them with this technique.

Some of what little story there is feels forced. I didn't understand one decision by a character late in the picture, and I felt like I should have. You can, I'm sure, justify it, given where the character is in life and the influences pushing against him/her, but the rationale for the character to do it wasn't there. Perhaps that's the point, in that irrational decisions are a part of life, but even that's not talked about. It was just an "I did it, okay?" thing, and that was that. And if you're thinking I just gave away what happens, think again.

It all leads up to an ambiguous and slightly unsatisfying ending. It makes sense in context, but when the emotions are this high, you want to see, for better or worse, how it's all going to work out. You don't get that here. You have to interpret it and figure it all out for yourself. I don't mind doing the work, but when you can see it either way, the ending feels like a letdown -- like Green wasn't sure how to finish, so he let us complete it for him.

It ultimately doesn't matter. The performances are so strong that they carry All the Real Girls regardless of its flaws. They make you feel something in every scene, which is very rare. It's only when we lose focus on the romance between Paul and Noel that the film starts to drag. It's an unfocused film in general, but at least for most of the time, it knows which characters deserve to be the center of attention. A film like this one leans on its actors and the emotions they generate; this is one that's successful in doing so.

All the Real Girls, David Gordon Green's second feature film, is a large success. He seems to give minimal direction in regards to his actors, allowing them to go about each scene as if they were involved in it in real life. This allows for a film that feels natural and very real. When the emotions run high, we feel like we're there every step of the way. When it loses focus of the leading romance, it does start to drag a bit, but because of how much we care about the main characters, it is absolutely worth a watch.
February 6, 2013
An honest and raw romance that doesn't play out in the traditional way. We're given snippets of time between these characters which works well rather than being given all the details in a chronological form. The two leads have an amazing chemistry and the relationship feels innocent and believable. I enjoyed it.
½ January 29, 2013
The final act goes a little off course, but it manages to find itself in the end. The lack of any real plot I feel actually helps what the film ultimately becomes in my mind.
January 5, 2013
this seems like it will be a great movie to watch
December 19, 2012
Cheap substitute for real writing. Everyone wants to do their quirky geekery romcom but somebody should have put a stop to this one. You would think with the big names that they would win a better support from both actors and writers. It has everything its supposed to for its genre but its missing any of the ever important honesty of the characters and of the script. Really a disappointment.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 26, 2012
While I would easily rate this among the best films of all time, it seems to me that as clearly as it spoke to me personally, it meant not quite as much to other viewers. Still, I believe that in time this film will gain in reputation and importance, even though the director has reduced himself to directing marginal comedies
November 26, 2012
Hurts a little in my gut.
½ November 24, 2012
Refreshing as far as love stories go...a serious one this..not the usual romcom and very realistic. Good performances