All Things Fair (Lust och fägring stor) (Love Lessons) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All Things Fair (Lust och fägring stor) (Love Lessons) Reviews

November 14, 2015
Different from Ingmar Bergman's alienation and grimness, this film by Bo Widerberg is more colourful, passionate and lustful. However, the controversial subject is only a focal point of studying the dimensions of love. All Things Fair is more about coming of age and maturity as it will drag your mind back to the high school days of innocence and tenderness. Featuring Handel's sorrowful Lascia ch'io pianga and brave performances from Widerberg's son and second wife, All Things Fair is an absorbing bittersweet melodrama about adolescents on the verge of adulthood.
½ January 20, 2015
The movie puts strong characters and thematic setting behind and focuses on the story and emotions. Not particularly as unique issue, but how relationships develops and protagonist get mature is beautiful.
September 18, 2013
A coming-of-age story from Sweden. I guess I would like it more if I had watched it decades back.
½ February 16, 2012
great character and feel. bit long but heh
½ June 1, 2011
Meaningless.
I like the church scene.
½ February 18, 2011
Highly passionate obsessing movie...true instincts and the use of it is masterpiece,,
December 17, 2010
This is a wonderful film with intriguing script, good acting, and playful yet serious story with consequences for all. Johan Widerberg as the young man Stig is outstanding. You can watch his maturity, adult wisdom, and general sensitivity blossom as the movie progresses. This movie is rather long, and at times rather slow, but I was really taken in by the whole drama. Nice piece of work...
November 1, 2010
A Coming of Age Tale for the Characters and the World
June 7, 2010
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
April 12, 2010
Great film....but Stig's affair with his teacher is somewhat disturbing..but over all this film is an interesting come-of-age story
January 30, 2010
very slow moving at times but then at other times spectacular acting
½ January 27, 2010
HahaOjoj. Sex i skolan.
½ January 17, 2010
An interesting coming-of-age story set in Sweden during World War II, Widerberg's film defies the usual conventions that such films fall prey to. The most interesting switch from the usual involves the growing relationship between the student lover and the cuckolded husband, which is much more interesting than the love affair itself. Best scene shows them alone in the kitchen, listening to Brahms' Deutsch Requiem, and finding it incomprehensible that the language thay're listening to is also the language of the Nazis. Final freeze frame shot is reminiscent of the finale of the 400 Blows.
½ December 5, 2009
15 and 37

how come, too dramatic

how would he be attracted by her?
how she would feel okay to be with a boy who can be her son?

it is not convinc

that it was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 68th Academy Awards
½ November 22, 2009
the burst of war, loss of his brother, and classical music education from Viola's husbud made Stig, a 15 year old boy, became a man facing with the real life to be strong and independent. The love affair is just a thread and agarnish.
November 3, 2009
"All is fair in Love and War," and that is the essential learning experience for the adolescent Stig in this Swedish coming of age film. Set in 1943, Stig and his family have just moved from Stockholm to a smaller town called Malmo, and at the school he just enrolled in there is a new teacher for English, Viola. Stig is surrounded by the blossoming puberty of his peers, and he spends most of his time talking about sex during class. Overtime, Stig develops a crush on Viola, and when he makes a sexual advance, she gives in and they begin to have an affair. As this is happening, a lot happens in Stig's life, and everything is at the least a learning experience, for better or worse.

While the plot has some exciting moments, everyone surrounding Stig is a bit more interesting than himself, but we get a sense of how he grows into a more mature young man and that the passionate affair may not be all that life is about. Considering the consequences, he finds out that love can be just as harsh as the rest of the world. Viola begins to lose it a bit after Stig tries to break off the affair after hooking up with a girl his own age, but she retaliates, and you can bet the Stig regrets what he has done. Coming from a poor family and having an older brother volunteer to fight in the war, it all amounts to a desire to learn from his mistakes and expand his knowledge as well as develop more sincere relationships, and not end up like everyone else.

My favorite aspect of the film was probably the character of Kjell, a failing salesman, alcoholic and classical music aficionado who would rather be called Frank, because everyone likes Frank Sinatra. He also happens to be Viola's husband, and Stig manages to learn a bit from him about women's stockings, Mahler and inventing gin dispensing bird clocks, while getting it on with his wife in the meantime. I wish I could have found myself in a more valuable learning environment like that.

In the end, Stig takes all he has learned from his schooling, even literally.
October 7, 2009
This movie has everything -- great acting, writing, cinematography, music, etc. Can't recommend it highly enough.
July 11, 2009
Stig, es un joven de 16 años que comienza a sentir una atracción por Viola, su profesora del colegio quien está casada con un vendedor. Cuando deciden dar el primer paso para iniciar su relación, ambos no saben dónde acabarán llevándolos la pasión y el deseo. Mientras Viola se aferra a Stig, éste se transforma en el amigo y confidente de Kjell, el marido de ella, quien además al descubrir la peculiar relación de su mujer con Stig, hace vista ciega con tal que él pueda seguir viviendo de sus sueños y su amor a la música.
Excelente película y guión, y notable actuación de Tomas Von Brömssem (el mismo que interpreta al tío de Ingemar en "Mi vida como un perro", mi película favorita)
Altamente recomendada!
March 26, 2009
Veldig bra og sterkt skildret av både Marika L og Johan W!!!!
March 4, 2009
I share the thirst for knowlidge with Stig, the main character. I saw this movie first as a teenager and it thaught me that all love is not good for you. Some love can burn you for life. There are many interesting layers in both the story and character development. Widerberg ties them all together to make the point both complex and simple. The films end is very satisfying, at least for me.