All This, and Heaven Too - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All This, and Heaven Too Reviews

July 4, 2016
A strong performance by Bette Davis. Boyer is wonderful and the children delightful (the oldest daughter played by a young June Lockhart). A film about the danger and toxicity of jealousy but moreover a story of the strength of true love and resilience. A bit long but worth your time.
½ June 28, 2016
Good old fashioned romantic drama.
September 21, 2014
Never fails to illicit some tears. Fabulous performances by the entire cast.
½ August 8, 2014
I feel like when someone from my generation imagines old movies they would picture this kind of film, A heavy drama about rich foreigners that's gets slightly over the top at times. Bettie Davis stars as Henriette Deluzy-Desportes, a excellent nanny for a wealthy French family. She hasn't even unpacked when the wife of the couple is jealous and spiteful of her. This film works so well because of Henritte's great job and nanny and diplomatic way she deals with the irrational drama queen wife. I was really stuck by Davis's ability to play a likeable extremely sympathetic victim after some of her previous roles I had seen her in ("all about eve" and "Whatever happened to baby Jane?") where she was unlikeable and villainous. Her performance is so well done I had to look it up more than once to see if that really was her! Granted she is younger in this then both those films. Even though Henritte is tempting a married man to have sex with her (a mutual feeling) they still feel like victims next to his unbearable spouse. This is a classic straight up drama tragedy that really keeps you engaged even with its considerable length. The villain is hateable, the victim is likeable, and the man caught between it all is understandable. It's also based on a true story so it gives you a historical glimpse in to French aristocracy at the time. Enjoy the youngest male actor who clearly has trouble saying mademoiselle, his American accent and his youth makes him butcher the French word turning it into "mamm-zell".
April 18, 2014
All This and Heaven Too is an incredible film. It is about the upstairs-downstairs affair between a duke and his governess for his children. Charles Boyer and Bette Davis give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Anatole Litvak did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. All This and Heaven Too is a must see.
January 18, 2014
Bette Davis is excellent in the adaptation of a book based on a true to life scandal. Barbara O'Neil plays crazy really well and the film is beautifully done. Runs long but not at all boring. Definitely a must see for Bette Davis fans.
March 15, 2013
Really good story and a wonderful performance by Davis.
½ January 2, 2013
Henriette Deluzy-Desportes (Bette Davis) returns to a classroom only to be berated by young students and forced to describe her history, which includes a scandal. It begins with being a nanny for family back in Great Britain. Unfortunately, the husband (Charles Boyer) begins to fall in love and then starts to have an impact on the wife (Barbara O'Neill), who begins to threaten Desportes. Tragically, the actions eventually lead to murder and Desportes becomes the scapegoat in all this. Good acting, mainly O'Neill, and set pieces in this film are diminished by the length and pacing. A good story from a novel with too much of it used. This movie would likely have aged better if it were cut by 20-30 minutes.
½ August 16, 2012
If this movie (as well as many like it) has taught me anything, it's that I can't hire a governess when I still have a wife. In fact, if I'd need to do that, then my wife isn't really doing her job, now is she? :P
May 23, 2012
davis shines in this costume melodrama
July 27, 2011
This film looks really good, to bad it has fallen through the cracks of unpopularity.
June 22, 2011
Though it isn't hard to appreciate the love cinemagoers may have had for All This, And Heaven Too in the early 1940s, today the film's horrifically outdated stylings have not aged well. The performances, which would surely have been the film's biggest draw back in the day, find no middle ground, with players either being over-the-top and campy (O'Neil) or too reserved and bordering on monotone (Boyer and surprisingly Davis). This said the story does still hold some intrigue, especially considering its basis in fact, and any fans of the period will no doubt enjoy seeing Davis playing a rare and uncharacteristically soft character.
January 20, 2011
Loved this movie and the book!
January 19, 2011
An unusually expensive production for Warner's, famed for bringing in low cost products. This film however, was meant to be as lavish as "Gone With the Wind" and no expense was spared: over 60 sets were constructed, Davis' wears more than 20 expensive authentic period costumes, and then there's still the rest of the cast's costumes & varying star treatments.

Despite all that, "All this..." doesn't come anywhere near the lasting fame of "Gone with the Wind", but that doesn't make it a bad film. The story of a governess, who goes to work for a Duke & Duchess in post-Napoleon France and inadvertently causes the 1948 Revolution sounds preposterous, but it did actually happen (Revolutions never happen for just one thing of course, but to simplify let us say that the governess was the proverbial last straw) and the film does a good job at capturing atmosphere and climate.

Davis plays against type, not the shrew, slut, bitch or antagonist of any kind this time, nor the wounded bird characters she also did on a regular basis. Her portrayal of the almost saint-like, modest, intelligent, yet independent of spirit Henriette is wide-eyed & restrained and one of those rare films in which she manages to rein in her own volatile self almost completely. The almost perfect governess could very easily have become an unbelievable caricature in the hands of a less able actress, but Davis gets away with it and more than just that.

Charles Boyer & Barbara O'Neill are each cast to pitch excellence in their parts as estranged spouses who cannot let each other go, nor give each other peace.
August 19, 2010
Loved the book and this movie!
May 18, 2010
2: Films don't get much more melodramatic than this. It's a bit ridiculous; definitely not the best Bette Davis vehicle out there. I'm sure there are many viewers out there that enjoy it, but I found the picture to be a bit much. There are few that make them like this any more. The few examples I can think of, and that have only passing knowledge of, include the more ridiculous South Korean television shows and a few Mexican soap operas. I imagine there are others out there, but not in what I consider the mainstream, and for good reason I'd say. The strings are so overpowering, the voice calculated to pull at your heartstrings, and those big eyes are sadder than ever. Nice title, but again very over the top.
May 15, 2010
This was such an amazing story. I love Bette Davis and Charles Boyer - their performances were so full of warmth and subtlies.
neffielee
December 28, 2009
Bette Davis is one of the greatest actors who ever lived. She's great at being bad or good, although her good can sometimes be a little too sweet at times. This is one of them. She plays an innocent governess who works for the wrong couple at the wrong time. This was a well done tale based on the real life murder of Duchesse de Praslin. Boyer was excellent as the brooding Duc, but the show stealer was Barbara O'Neil playing the venomous Duchesse. Davis gets props for rocking a fantastic French accent. There is also something to be said for Bette's eyes, as they tell a story all on their own; and they are working overtime in this film. The childrens' performance was superb (even with the sons strong southern accent), as you really felt the love they had for their governess. A period piece that runs a little over 2 hours, which apparently was supposed to be about 3 hours. I can't imagine it running longer as some parts seemed to drag a bit as it was.
November 7, 2009
Enjoyable and unpredictable, but overlong. After watching it in quick succession with several other Bette Davis films I realised what range she had. Her turn as a young governess unfairly mixed up in scandal is unlike any of her other roles that I've currently seen and I wouldn't necessarily have thought it'd suit her, yet she's entirely believable. As with some of her other films from this period the same can't be said for some of her fellow cast members. Charles Boyer is okay but a little bland as the Duc de Praslin, and (even though she was nominated for an Oscar in the role) I found Barbara O'Neil to be a bit too hammy as his jealous seemingly manic-depressive wife.