All Through the Night (1941)
Average Rating: 7.2/10
Reviews Counted: 5
Fresh: 5 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Dec 2, 1941 Wide
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 511
Humphrey Bogart plays Gloves Donahue, a rough-hewn but essentially decent New York gambler. The Runyonesque plot gets moving when Gloves tries to find out what's holding up his favorite restaurant's daily shipment of cheesecake. Paying a call on the bakery, Gloves stumbles into a Nazi spy ring, masterminded by Conrad Veidt. Mixed up in all this is nightclub singer Kaaren Verne, whose loyalties are in question in her early scenes but who turns out to be as true-blue as the patriotic Gloves.
Dec 2, 1941 Wide
Oct 3, 2006
Edward S. Brophy
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Bogart is great in this comedy thriller, which was made during WWII and was much ahead of its time in narrative and tone.
Boisterous Warner Bros. action comedy about Nazis in Manhattan
Enjoyable WWII propaganda made by great cast and slick direction
Audience Reviews for All Through the Night
- Gloves Donahue: [Breaking into building] Personally, I'd feel more comfortable if I had a rod.
- Sunshine: Here lies Sunshine under the sod. That's not odd. He had no rod.
- Gloves Donahue: You know, there are times when I wonder about you.
- Gloves Donahue: Any message?
- Barney: Should I leave out the curse words?
- Gloves Donahue: Yeah.
- Barney: No message.
- Sunshine: Nice cheerful little neighborhood. My friend got his skull crushed down here last week.
- Barney: For what?
- Sunshine: For nuthin'!
- Gloves Donahue: Do you remember anything else from your youth?
- Sunshine: Yeah, but they gave me three years to forget.
- Leda Hamilton: [to reporters] Well, I also feel it's about time someone knocked the Axis back on its heels.
- Gloves Donahue: Excuse me, Baby. What she means it's about time someone knocked those heels back on their axis.
- Gloves Donahue: [Sunshine knocks out a Nazi with an ax handle] Very good. Joe DiMaggio couldn't have done better.
- Sunshine: I used to bat .320 at reform school.
Discuss All Through the Night on our Movie forum!