The Alligator People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Alligator People Reviews

October 19, 2015
This was a pretty good thriller with an interesting plot and as usual, the ending was as horrible as could be predicted. The plot was really weird, but the main character was actually pretty good at acting. I felt that she got really stupid at the end...
November 3, 2014
Part of what composes a good sci fi movie of the 50's is it's filming location. And in this movie, the filming location is great; An humid and evil swamp filled with alligators. I can't understand why most viewers have dismissed the movie, i think that it's a terrific and dramatic movie.
June 16, 2014
The Alligator People (1959)

Rating: 1/5

"Alligator People" is kind of like "The Fly" meets The Lizard from the Spider-Man comics, but boring. It's about a woman named Joyce (Beverly Garland), who has just gotten married to her husband Paul (Richard Crane). On their wedding night, he receives a telegram and disappears without a word. After months of fruitless searching, Joyce discovers a lead that may at last be promising, an old address of his in Louisiana: a plantation known as Cypresses. When Joyce arrives, she is met with hostility from the matriarch of the house (Frieda Inescort as Mrs. Hawthorne), but is allowed to stay. On her first night she spots a mysterious man playing the piano. Covered in scales and dripping with swamp water, it flees immediately. Could it be related to the disappearance of her husband and could this creature be one of the titular Alligator people?!

Those short couple of sentences actually make the movie way more interesting than it is. I know what you're hoping for when you hear this movie. You want something like "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", but with alligator people going around abducting women, terrorizing the plantation and maybe even eating people for good measure. If that's what you want to see, you're out of luck because you won't anything along those lines here. The movie plays out more like a drama thriller with Joyce trying to discover what exactly is going on with this place. That means we don't get much alligator people at all. We only get to see a bunch of people with scaly skin and towards the end of the film, a single guy running around with an alligator head scaring everyone. In the meantime, you're just bored.

The plot is nutty, but not very eventful and told in flashback so there's no suspense whatsoever because you know our heroine is going to make it out alive. The non-science (that's nonsensical science if you've never heard the term) is through the roof, but the guy delivering the material is a benevolent scientist instead of the mad doctor you were hoping to see. It comes off more as frustrating than funny or exciting. The acting is mixed. Garland as Joyce was pretty good, but the rest are either lousy actors or so frustrated with the clunky dialogue that's given to them that they don't even really try. The special effects are pretty lousy too. The makeup on the alligator people is decent but not very creative, Lon Chaney plays a drunken alligator hater with a phoney hook for a hand and there's at least one really bad fake gator in the film. That last one really threw me off because there are plenty of real, live gators in the movie and they are frequently handled by people. Why they took that rejected museum animatronic and put it in here, I have no idea.

I stumbled upon this film because it was included in a three-pack of swamp/crocodile themed Dvds. This was easily the worst of the three (the other two were "Lake Placid" and "Swamp Thing") and while I didn't hate the movie, I found myself disappointed and extremely bored throughout. It just reminds you too much of other, better movies and isn't even fun to riff. I can't recommend you check this one out, even if the title makes you giddy with excitement. (On Dvd, June 16, 2014)
½ March 21, 2014
Science and medicine go haywire in the swamps of Louisiana--A nifty 50's horror creature feature romp!!
February 20, 2014
lame horror pic and a rip-off of 'swamp thing"
½ December 22, 2013
Takes ages to get going and when it does it is disappointing.
July 29, 2013
A wife who loses her husband, treks back to his hometown to find out what the hell happened to him and then suddenly finds him, and guess what? Zany 50's sci fi movie with mad scientists and gators galore. Not bad make up effects but story moves at a gator's pace. Can see what inspired the Swamp Thing comic and movies. oh yea and Lon Chaney basically playing himself as a drunk gato hater with a hook for a hand.
June 20, 2013
Classic 50's sci-fi horror. If you have any interest in these types of movies then this will not disappoint you. This is not the best out there and it's definitely not for big fans of modern horror/sci-fi disaster films (not films about disaster, rather films that are pure garbage, i.e., The Day After Tomorrow).
½ November 12, 2012
Not much went on in this film. It was bad but i liked the idea.
½ October 21, 2012
Enjoyable enough hokum about doctor experimenting on injured people with the pituary glands of alligators with predictably laughable results. Lon Chaney Jr, George Macready and Beverly Garland.
½ November 12, 2011
a strange way to finish the movie. a strange movie, in general
½ October 11, 2011
Kampy and fun to make fun of.
½ September 22, 2011
Ungodly slow at the beginning, it picks up steam later on. Basically a retelling of the Isle of Dr. Moreau. Why is it mad scientists are always in sme delapidated old mansion in the "woods/swamp" and have like a bazillion dollars in super scientifc equipment? Were they able to buy said equipment from the money they saved on gardners and home maintainence?
February 17, 2011
The Alligator People is drug out and takes way too long to become entertaining.
December 14, 2010
For a fifties film, it has great replay value. It is short, suspenseful, and has excellent effects up until Paul becomes an alligator, but for 50's effects, its not too bad. It has a decent plot, and the setting in the Louisiana swamp is very interesting. A doctor finds that by mixing alligator hormones with people, it can heal them from otherwise fatal accidents and injuries. Unfortunately, the side effects slowly turn them into reptiles, and Paul Webster becomes a victim to these side effects. His wife has been searching for him ever since he disappeared on their wedding night aboard a train, and she finds him in a lab in the Louisiana swamps after some investigating. It's much better than I thought it would be, and it was great fun to watch this old sci-fi horror flick.
½ December 7, 2010
And on that note,
I'm off to bed.
½ November 21, 2010
This is a very strange movie, part mystery, part horror, and part horrible movie. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's an interesting B-movie anyway.
October 11, 2010
The Alligator People is just bad. It's bad in a good way, in a corny cheesy way. IT's a fun movie to watch with friends, but I don't suggest watching it by yourself.
October 4, 2010
"I'll kill you, alligator man! Just like I'd kill any four-legged gator!"
½ September 18, 2010
Good, cheesy 50's fun. I enjoyed watching this movie. It had an interesting plot (at least for it's time), and the acting was suprisingly decent. Recommended.