Allonsanfan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Allonsanfan Reviews

February 13, 2015
Thought-provoking, with an excellent protagonist and epic music. A real masterpiece.
½ October 31, 2011
It is my first encounter with Taviani brothers' work, my instant gut-feeling is that this surrealistic political-drama about a traitor's ill-fated fallout is perhaps blemished by the incompatibility of our generation, I reluctantly pigeonhole it to those films inevitably go astray from their glorious road along the unstoppable torrent of time!

Marcello Mastroianni this time around employs a substantially anti-hero persona opponent to his more audience-friendly role as the marquee Italian dream-lover. An abnormally bitter repugnance exudes from his character brims with all the screen time and I can sense a tint of misogyny levitating in the air with an inexplicably compelling thespian vibe. The lesser characters are all one-dimensional notwithstanding, a feral Lea Massari (from THE ADVENTURE) still could draw some attention for her very underdeveloped role.

All the sectors are somehow quirky enough to create certain discontinuity in the narrative, which could be a deliberate novelty at that time, but fails to leave sympathetic impression throughout, plus without the adequate stewing time, I might wonder it might be too hasty for audience to ruminate or even reflect the actual happening in the film, especially for a foreigner.

One could not deny the elaborate endeavor of the whole team behind, this film could be better if it had gotten rid of its excessive patronizing stances and do a more subtle character study. Also I didn't take the title, as Allonsanfan is just a stiff supporting character played by a wooden Stanko Molnar, is their any subtextual meaning here? Wish some ace could help me out here!
ElCochran90
September 28, 2011
Morricone is a true hero of music composition (ask Tarantino and his continuous tradition of ripping off world stuff) and his flawless creation exalts the status of this magnificent masterpiece by the underrated Taviani brothers. Accurate, passionate and incredible performances by an equally underrated Italian cast except for the already loved Mastroianni, all of them impersonating men of idealistic bravura and unavoidable melancholy of the past. Pitch-perfect cinematography and ironies throughout in a movie set in uproarious political times.

Dirindindiindiindiindiindiiiiiiiiiin

99/100
August 1, 2010
It ws dfifficult to retire for Marcello Mastroianni in thois movie.
October 5, 2009
On the video box of Allonsafan, I noticed that someone had written in small letters, "Boreing". So, was it? On the whole, I am not the biggest fan of Italian films, and Marcello Mastrianni I always feel is his and miss. But actually, Ansofan isn't as bad a film that many people perceive it to be, although it essentially goes all over the place, the film is somewhat entertaining. Mastrianni is certainly OUT there playing a member of a criminal gang. He wants to go straight, but members of his gang keep showing up every time he's trying to go straight. He also has a son to think about! And his love life! Nevertheless, the gang members seem to follow him like a bad rash, even when he tries to kill the annoying pests. What this all is supposed to mean is rather confusing, and the ending is pretty predictable if you've been paying attention to this love/hate relationship thing Mastrionni has got going. Not entirely boring, but then again, not entirely comprehensible either.
August 4, 2009
Il film č ambientato negli anni della Restaurazione. Narra di un aristocratico lombardo Fulvio Imbriani (ex giacobino ed ex ufficiale napoleonico) che viene rilasciato dopo una lunga detenzione nelle carceri austriache in quanto affiliato alla setta dei Fratelli Sublimi.

Riparato nella villa di famiglia viene poi raggiunto dalla sua donna, Charlotte che si adopra per convincerlo assieme agli ex compagni di lotta a preparare una spedizione rivoluzionaria nel Meridione. Lo scetticismo di Fulvio lascia libera la sorella, Esther, di denunciare i congiurati. Nel tentativo di arresto Charlotte trova la morte e i congiurati riescono a fuggire. I funerali di Charlotte sono l'occasione per definire gli ultimi preparativi prima di partire per il Mezzogiorno. Nel Sud, lo sparuto drappello verrā massacrato dai soldati e dai contadini.[wikipedia]
jimbotender
September 9, 2008
Incredible score to begin with.Annihilating performance by the unique Mastroianni. Pitch-perfect representation of the tumultuous Italian division of 19th century.Ignoring the political and social results would be fatal.Taviani are orchestrating through Morricone's music an opera of neoclassicism and reach breaking point in their time of film-making streak.