Almost Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Almost Dead Reviews

½ April 4, 2012
A surprisingly enjoyable supernatural thriller, with pretty good performances from its leads, that is let down by a weak conclusion.
½ July 1, 2010
the best movie with shannen doherty!
iLeo
½ March 21, 2008
Great mystery/suspense!! Costas Mandylor is great.
March 18, 2008
terror scary the best thiller...
October 31, 2004
Oh sweet Moses. Is this one of the worst movies you've ever seen too? Is it any wonder that the leads don't get much work these days? Am I asking too many rhetorical questions? Costas Mandylor is one of those "actors" who make, say, Jean Claude van Damme look genius by comparison. And Shannon Doherty. Shannon freaking Doherty. This woman was once a household name in America. Why? For the love of God, why? If she could act as well as she can mimic a bitchy teenage girl, she'd have a shelf of Oscars by now.

The screenplay is based on a novel by William Valto called Resurrection, which I now must read to ascertain who's responsible for this hackneyed concept. Of course, the blame for the laughable direction can only be laid at the feet of Ruben Preuss. In searching the web for info about this guy, I can find a few other movies he's made, all of which star 3rd tier actors like Cliff DeYoung and Harry Hamlin. But this was his fourth attempt at a feature. You'd think he'd have learned something by now, at least like what NOT to do. The movie is rife with cheap camera tricks (a vertical 360, for instance), and all attempts to set a scary mood fail miserably -- it's just funny in its badness.

Lest ye think for a moment that I rented this piece of garbage, let me assure you -- it showed up on my local Fox affiliate on Halloween day while I was trying to take a nap. It was so stinking bad, I couldn't look away -- definitely the car wreck phenomenon.

Seriously, I don't think I've sat through a worse movie in my life.