45% The Other Woman Apr 25

100% Veep: Season 3

Almost Heroes Reviews

Spencer S

July 12, 2013
A giant misstep on the part of director Christopher Guest, this film tries to make a fast buck off of spoofs of the eighteenth century and expeditions to the new world. Frontiersmen life is easily mined for some gratuitous laughs, but everything about this film feels rushed and unnecessary. Even with some of the same cast Guest has used in the past, this film feels nothing like his previous mockumentaries. Guest is best in his element when he is pursuing the world of the rich, vain, and out of touch, and to focus on the past in this strange way makes no sense. The film is a straight up buddy comedy movie, focusing on a rich fop (Perry) who wants to reach the Western coast of the United States before the Lewis and Clark expedition can. He hires a tracker (Farley) to lead a crew of men there, and along the way they get into several kinds of shenanigans. If you were to ask me what those shenanigans were, I would have a hard time telling you, because though there are some interactions with Native Americans, a love triangle, and a near death, this film is very boring and tedious. The comedy is childish, and the characters are brutish ignoramuses most of the time. Perry's performance is never reigned in, and the indignant behavior of a rich man could easily be mistaken for an excessive bi-polar patient. Farley in turn also gives an over-the-top performance, but of all the people in this film, he is simply expected to be that crass and loud. He's really the only acceptable performer in this film, though it does hurt that this had to be his last film, released post humorously. There's just nothing here except an idea for a setting, and otherwise everything else gets garbled, whether it be the petty humor or the moronic sense of pacing.
Phil H

February 7, 2013
This is one of those low key comedies that you saw on the top shelf at your local video shop purely by accident when you went in for something else...something good. You noticed it and it intrigued you because you'd never heard of the film. You took it down and looked at the back of the VHS box to see more, hmmm Chris Farley and 'Chandler' from 'Friends', could be good fun.

In brief this film is fun but very very very low brow and only works purely because of Farley's great screen presence. When I say fun I mean its good for the odd chuckle or visual moment but overall its complete and utter trash.

Dare I say fun trash, I can't deny I liked Farley and his wild, over the top insane physical comedy, childish yes but also amusing. All of this was of course down to his size but his facial expressions could be gold.

This is standard Farley fare with everything you would expect from the late comedian. The film is deliberately tacky and cheap looking with plenty of toilet humour, dumb visual gags, unrealistic sequences and Perry is in there purely to attract a bigger audience through his 'Friends' fame. Naturally he does just that by giving us more 'Chandler' wetness than you can shake a stick at, a period set 'Chandler'.

If you're a Farley fan then you can't go wrong. I liked it for what it is...just an extremely light hearted comedy no brains required, typical Farley fun fluff.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 13, 2012
Considering that this is Chris Farley's last film role before he died, The film is a slight disappointment, but still manages to be entertaining and a decent comedy due to Farley's crazy antics. The film is a decent comedy that I see as a mindless comedic romp, which is what Farley comedies really are. If you're looking for sophisticated, smart humor, then his films aren't for you. Almost Heroes is not the perfect swan song for Chris Farley, but it has enough laughs for you to be entertained. Farley fans will enjoy this one, and he was a good comedic actor who brought a whimsical act to his brand of humor which made him fun to watch. Chris Farley makes this somewhat ordinary film a watchable comedy. I enjoyed the film for what it was and I thought it had enough good funny elements to make it a decent comedy. The film is not perfect, but it manages to be mindless fun, which is really what this film is supposed to be. Expect your usual Chris Farley comedy, and that's what you'll get. The thing with Chris Farley is that he wasn't a comic genius, but he definitely made you laugh or smile. The film could have been much better, but it delivers good laughs that you'd expect from Chris Farley. Farley was underrated, and he was better at delivering laughs compared to Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider. If you want a decent comedy that will make you laugh, then this is the perfect film to watch. Although not one of Farley's best, this film still has everything you'd expect from Chris Farley who is underrated and doesn't deserve the flack he has received. Sadly this was his last film before he died, and his potential remains unknown, but what he did in the years he made us laugh was probably just a small taste of what was to come.
Lucas M

March 23, 2012
Chris Farley deserve a better last movie.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 8, 2010
"Almost History... Almost Legends... Mostly Ridiculous."

A road comedy about 2 guys whose mission is to beat Lewis and Clark.

REVIEW
Despite it's bad reputation, this comedy about fancy-pants Army officer Matthew Perry and rowdy mountain man Chris Farley's attempt to upstage Lewis and Clark by beating them to the Pacific Ocean is amiable and a whole lot of fun for fans of Farley and Perry's well worn comedic alter-egos. Not all of the jokes hit their mark but enough of them do and the story is a fairly interesting one.

It's sad to say that Farley's hard-living ways really shows through in his performance, especially during his blustery outbursts. Certainly this is the strangest film ever to come out of executive producer Ted Turner's fascination with American history, unless you count the Turner Home Video distributed Civil War horror tale, Ghost Brigade.
Alexis N

July 6, 2010
..almost good.
Coxxie M

July 19, 2009
i am completely unable to dislike a chris farley movie. even if it sucks. its just not in me. and i KNOW this one sucks.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Okay.
Ross C

January 14, 2007
Terribly unfunny comedy about two adventurers' travels to the American Pacific coast in 1804.
Bryan D

May 14, 2012
Christopher Guest directs one of Chris Farley's last films. As a comedy, there are some really good laugh out loud moments. You will have to seriously suspend some of your disbelief to get engrossed in this story, but most comedies are extreme exaggerations of reality anyway. Matthew Perry is hilarious, and holds his own along side Farley. Eugene Levy and Kevin Dunn are fantastic in their roles. But once in a while the comedy goes a little over into the ridiculous side, and it takes you out of it a bit. But overall, the film is good. But not exactly deserving as the great Chris Farley's last hoorah.
Sarah P

May 3, 2012
Yeah, it's a dumb movie, however you can't help but laugh. It's Chris Farley for cryin' out loud!!
Riddler528491
March 15, 2012
Certainly watchable and entertaining. Almost Heroes is a solid and decent road-trip comedy and the last, late role of Chris Farley. Overall, this film is definitely recommendable.
December 20, 2009
Chris Farley = Funny. This is a goofy, silly, stupid movie and I loved it. Matthew Perry was also good but Chris Farley is off the wall and steals the show. Farley shows off his brand of loud and physical humor that he was so great at and he really makes the movie.
emerlyrose
March 19, 2011
Ridiculous but very funny, I laughed through most of the movie. Chis Farley was of course the drunken tracker with lots of physical humor and Matthew Perry was great, I already like his acting with his goofy expressions and he did a great job working with Farley, he had some great reactions to Farley's character. I'd have to say it's probably one of those movies you either like it and laugh a lot or you feel like the stupid will rot your brain.
jamesgigler
September 23, 2010
This is my favorite Chris Farley movie and if you are a fan of his you need to see this movie and i know most people have but u can never see this one to many times so just wanted to remind everyone of it enjoy.
July 21, 2010
I think that this is a really goof, stupid, funny movie. A couple of the jokes bomb, but many more of them will have you laughing wholeheartadly. Also, not too crude. All ages can enjoy it. I'm surprised it isn't more well known, having both Farley and Perry.
May 31, 2010
I used to love Chis Farley on SNL, but his movie career was unspectacular. This was a failed attempt at pairing Farley with Matthew Perry, and don't be deceived by Christopher Guest directing, this movie was an abomination.
Ken D

December 19, 2009
This was a very poor movie. Of course there were a couple of laughs, but they didn't come from Farley or Perry or the pairing of the two. I got a little kick out of the secondary characters as there were some pretty funny lines from them. This was role that did not fit Farley and Perry was almost unwatchable.
January 5, 2009
This was the Farley movie I never saw, until now. It just looked so bad, I couldn't dirty his memory by seeing this. I was missing out. This movie may be incredibly stupid and historically inaccurate, but its funny. Not quite up to the Tommy Boy standard, but easily in Black Sheep's class, this one is good for any fan of the fat man.
psychoapeguy
August 11, 2008
it's a pretty good chris farley movie...as well as his last before his untimely death. its got some good laughs thrown about it...and, of course, some good ol' fashioned physical comedy from mr. farley.