Forever Lulu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forever Lulu Reviews

March 27, 2015
sweetly appealing and heartfelt.anything but ordinary-it was nicely enjoyable to watch.
½ August 20, 2013
What was this drivel? Nothing big ever finished and thus the story suffered. Missed it's mark. I didn't miss the point....they did.
June 22, 2013
I really liked this movie-the story was sweet, even if bittersweet in many ways. As someone who grew up with a parent who had bouts of mental illness, I can really relate to this story, and thought it was well-scripted and well acted by a really good cast. The movie had a sympathetic treatment of the mentally ill as people, who still have thoughts and feelings, hopes and dreams, just like anybody else with other kinds of illnesses, or even people without serious health problems, and I liked that about this film.
½ April 25, 2013
This was so good I don't know why people say it isn't good.
½ August 27, 2012
A movie from 2000 that is very good.
½ August 19, 2012
People don't want to feel. They want to be entertained.

A happily married television series writer is inauspiciously contacted by his schizophrenic ex-girlfriend from college. She tells him a tale of their son, that he never met, and giving their son up for adoption. The ex-girlfriend and writer head out on a mission to find their son. The writer's wife, skeptical of the ex-girlfriend's motives, follows them and gets into her own trouble.

"Are you giving somebody a blowjob? You're not! Well, thank goodness."

John Kaye delivers Forever Lulu in his only directorial picture. The storyline for this movie was better than I anticipated and I found the characters fascinating. The acting wasn't perfect or particularly great but the character development was still very good. The cast delivers mediocre performances and includes Patrick Swayze, Melanie Griffith, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lee Garlington, and Penelope Ann Miller.

"For awhile we were so close that we only had one heart."

I have been DVRing Joseph Gordon-Levitt pictures lately and decided to give this picture a shot. I actually really liked this film for the most part. The performances do not make the film, but the storyline is very good and it is definitely fun to watch the film unfold. I recommend giving this film a shot.

"Give me the razor."

Grade: C+/B- (6.5)
November 13, 2011
Nice little film. Really enjoyed the performances from the main actors. entertaining & nicely directed, this is a lovely flick.
September 3, 2011
The magic of love may be more about timing than emotions. For Lulu (Melanie Griffith) and Ben (Patrick Swayze), the timing of their college romance could not have been better - or worse. Still, the couple, separated for more than a decade by hundreds of miles and through personal tragedies, established a rare lifelong bond.

The story follows Lulu, a schizophrenic romantic who leaves her institution to track down her college soulmate. Ben is a television writer in the midst of a boring marriage to psychiatrist, Claire (Penelope Ann Miller).

Reunited, Lulu lures Ben on a bizarre, yet poignant cross-country trek to their past... and to a secret.

also stars Richard Schiff, Annie Corley, Michael J. Pollard, Lee Garlington, Steven Bauer and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

directed by John Kaye
½ August 17, 2011
A touching portrayal of a woman with schizophrenia and the subplot dealing with the effects of adoption. I never thought I'd be saying this, but Melanie Griffith was excellent.
½ July 20, 2011
(A.K.A. "Along For The Ride"), Brilliant Drama About A Successful Writer & A Nut Job, Who Embark On A Cross Country Journey To Find & Meet Thier Son For The First Time. Melanie Griffith Is Excellent As Nut-Job Lulu, While Patrick Swayze Uses His Talents To Successfully Pull Off The Writter Who Has Been Taken Along For The Ride. Excellent Movie
½ April 9, 2011
I'm not even sure how this movie got made.
½ February 11, 2011
Very ambitious but sometimes annoying.
February 8, 2011
Forever Lulu is a gem that contained some capable cast members. It's a great and likable story of Lulu, played by Melanie Griffith. She and Swayze have fine chemistry together. The first half of the movie is all about Lulu and her ex-boyfriend (Swayze) and his jealous wife (Penelope Ann Miller). Joseph Gordon-Levitt, an actor I don't usually like, later shows up and was actually very amazing in his performance as Lulu's son she gave up years ago. I thought he would ruin the movie but he kept it just as smooth as it was before and added some effective and touching elements to it. To me, this felt like two different movies.
April 21, 2010
Not a bad flick...I would have thought that Melanie would have learned to act by now. Obviously I was wrong..."
½ April 7, 2010
Melanie Griffith plays Lulu, a crazy lady who waits 16 years to tell Ben (Patrick Swayze) that they have a son. Ben has moved on, and has his own problems. But he cannot ignore Lulu's request if there is a possibility he has a son. Ben and Lulu make a road trip from San Francisco to Wisconsin. Somehow Claire (Ben's wife) is involved as well, and together, all three damaged people learn something. I could not watch without some tears.
December 8, 2009
When two objects hurtle toward each other at full speed, a collision becomes inevitable. And so it is with two grown brothers whose animosities have been churning within them since childhood. Their ho...( read more )stilities, their annoyances, petty grievances and frustration all have one source: their father. And it is their deceased father whom they now come to bury. Terry and Vance Cowens, two estranged brothers whose mother died when they were children, meet on a desolate highway in Mexico. Together they drive to a small town where they expect to bid farewell to their recently deceased father, Jake. Jake was an absentee father, a ball player on the road, chasing glory with one minor league team after another. After never making it to the "show", Jake finally winds up in Mexico, retired, watching baseball on television with Maria, until his death. Terry and Vance are stunned to find Jake's body being preserved in the walk-in freezer of a small cantina. They have no choice but to put Jake in the back seat of their car and drive to the nearest town some three hours away. Death, in the form of their father, rides along under the starry night and forces the two brothers to confront themselves and each other. Terry, a former major league pitcher, and Vance, a letter carrier, rehash their childhood and their respective feelings for Jake. The two brothers argue their differences as the desert rolls past them, rehashing old arguments, reopening old wounds. After they finally realize that their lives are being weighted down by the ghosts of their pasts. They make peace with each other and arrive at the perfect solution to not only their emotional burdens, but with their father's corpse as well. When it comes to problem-solving, the world may offer group therapy, gestalt, past-life regression hypnotherapy, transcendental meditation and electroshock therapy. But sometimes, a long ride through the Mexican desert with your dead father in the back seat can be more therapeutic than everything else combined
December 22, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested.
½ July 25, 2008
I wasn't sure where it was going at first, but it held my interest. Griffith does a great job of playing a schizophrenic and who can resist Swayze? Joseph Gordon-Levitt also has a small role.
July 18, 2008
Melanie Griffith's voice is like a knife across a chalk board across my cock.