Altered - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Altered Reviews

December 13, 2015
Plot needs some work but entertaining
½ January 9, 2015
Altered starts with a trio of rednecks hunting in the dark in the bush for something, they are armed and ready. They catch what they are after and head to an old friends place with their trophy, still alive. The catch though, is an alien and what transpires is that these 4 men all reveal that they share something together, an alien abduction that left one of their brothers dead, their lives in ruins. It's payback, but, they have to survive the night first.
Some very good practical effects and make-up and some good gore keep this interesting. The cast and film crew try hard to make this an entertaining film but it has quite a boring middle section after a pretty decent opening sequence. If you are a fan of the genre you shall enjoy it, definitely has some decent moments but it just doesn't drag me along for entire ride.
January 5, 2015
Strong flavor and atmosphere from the redneck setting somehow keep Altered above the standard its genre-schlock premise sets for it. Part of that also comes from an effective commitment to keeping the character relationships meaningful, with a simple but felt history revealed artfully as the plot unfolds. I was astonished to learn that it was made in 2006; I don't know how much they intended it, but it successfully pulled off the 80's horror-action-thriller look.
November 30, 2014
I've spent so mucj time and energy talking about how many things were wrong with this film that it almost makes it worth having sat through
½ August 18, 2014
I'll just say, there's probably a reason why you can buy it in Poundland.
July 26, 2014
Nothing spectacular, but gives off a great eerie atmosphere.
April 13, 2014
As far as mindless entertainment goes this isn't half bad......B monster movie schlock and I do like me some schlock.
½ February 9, 2014
'Twas a rumbling wet fart of a sci-if film--I felt uncomfortable liking it. Reminded me of Cabin Fever but with much less spunkyness. A perfect movie to have running on t.v. while you surf the net.
November 12, 2013
"Altered" is no big budget film, but the special effects are fine & the aliens look good...... the performances are convincing, the directing is far better than is to be expected.....a fine example of an "extra-terrestrial thriller" done right....
August 4, 2013
Solid movie, this is what I call a "hidden gem"
½ June 11, 2013
I thought that this movie was a hoot! Maybe I was just in the mood for a gruesome, silly, sci-fi alien flick.
May 27, 2013
If you're into suspense, this film is definitely worth the watch -- it heaps it on, even in the scenes where the monster is on screen. Thankfully, these bits don't disappoint either, as the effects are pretty stellar for a straight-to-DVD feature. Don't expect a great story here, but there are definitely loads of shocks and plenty of good old-fashioned scary monster shots, all of which feel complete and nothing comes off as tacky, keeping that tense atmosphere horror fans love.

One word of warning: this film is not for the squeamish -- there's loads of gore, be it alien or human. If you're not opposed to a little chunkiness, though, you'll find most of the messy parts here are pretty creative, especially one interesting bit about halfway through where our monster holds "Otis" hostage in ... an interesting way, to avoid spoilers.

Overall, nothing to call home about, but definitely worth the watch, and a recommendation to friends.
May 17, 2013
Top notch B-movie with top notch gore--Reverse alien abduction story. Surprisingly effective!!
½ May 17, 2013
great horror movie! highly recommend
½ May 16, 2013
had a good stroyline but could have been better
May 16, 2013
Imagine Stephen King's "It" from the producers of Duck Dynasty with all petty, unwelcome sentimentality intact.
March 29, 2013
ALTERED has the seed of a neat spin on the extraterrestrial horror subgenre, but it misses the mark; the potential is there, but the execution is a bit lacking, mostly due to the writing of the protagonists. In that respect, the movie comes across as tonally uneven - it's hard to buy into an atmosphere of unease when most of our characters are semi-goofy yokels, which is the case here. The movie does eventually go into body horror territory and introduces some cool makeup effects, but it's too little, too late. It is well made, though (despite its visible low budget), and those looking for some goopy and slimy creature work will surely find things to like about it, but ultimately, it didn't work for me.
½ March 17, 2013
A low budget film who's lack of resources is far to evident. The acting and the premises are a joke; however, the makeup and the sound editing are done with precision and skill. The storyline is interesting I guess, but it turns stale quickly. Bottom line, if it wasn't for the incredible makeup and sound direction, I'm not sure this film would get a single star, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Genre fans should give it a watch, but outside of that, I'd stay clear.
February 16, 2013
Exemplary B scifi/horror. The mostly functional dialogue and acting are never much of an issue thanks to the pacing. Questions are raised as quickly as others are answered, yet all while everything keeps chugging forward effortlessly. Few movies are this good at building a backstory while keeping a breathless pace. The effects are fantastic. The alien's design is both endearingly cheesy and brutal. If all cheap-ish (though at $8,000,000, this has a bigger budget than most straight-to-DVD horror flicks) horror movies were this good, I'd die a happy man. Fuck the haters. If you enjoy horror movies, you should love the hell outta Altered.