Altered - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Altered Reviews

½ February 2, 2013
After being abducted 15 years earlier, four men set out to catch one of their alien captors. When they finally manage to trap one in the woods and return it to their workshop, they open up a whole new nightmare as more of the razor-clawed creatures begin assaulting them from all sides! Brutal, bloody, and violent, ALTERED comes as a big surprise from BLAIR WITCH PROJECT co-writer Eduardo Sanchez! ALTERED borrows the same basic premise from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, then cranks up the gore and paranoia as we saw in John Carpenter's THE THING. These are not your friendly neighborhood aliens like in E.T., these suckers hunt in packs and rip everything they see to shreds! If that weren't bad enough, they also have the ability to invade your mind, making it impossible to tell just who your friends are... The fast past and gripping suspense will keep you guessing until the very end! Light on story but heavy on mood, Sanchez' alien terror is sure to leave you ALTERED.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
½ January 30, 2013
Stopped after 15 minutes.
January 27, 2013
The aliens were cool! I liked the way they looked.
½ January 14, 2013
If Seinfeld is the show about nothing, Altered is the movie about nothing. These four friends were abducted by aliens fifteen years earlier, so these geniuses decide to get revenge by kidnapping one of the aliens. They accomplish their goal, but once they do, they don't know what to do with it and lock it in the garage. After that it becomes a slasher film where nothing significant really happens. Honestly, they kidnapped this thing and then don't know what to do with it, so then what's the point? To make things worse, we never see the abduction or find out what exactly happened to them up there. It's just an extremely dark and confusing hunting scene, which believe it or not features a harpoon, and then there is nothing else. As for the acting it is just as inconsistent as the story! One minute their going crazy, trying to kill each other and the next they're crying about old times, it's ridiculous! James Gammon is the only name in this thing, playing the sheriff in one of his last roles. The guys are so intimidated by the sheriff and when we finally see him, we find out he's this little eighty year old guy, are you kidding me? This movie is a complete disaster and an utter waste of time. Being that it's from the writer/director of The Blair Witch Project, I was expecting something as groundbreaking as that was, unfortunately, Altered isn't it and there is a good reason why you've probably never heard of it.
½ January 10, 2013
Lixao do outro mundo
½ January 7, 2013
Pretty decent low budget horror/alien flick, much better than Blair Witch, where the stupid kids didn't even know how to read a map or use a compass. The pace was fast and I liked the beginning switch with the abductees hunting the alien. However, the ending was a bit of a let down--how did they alter Wyatt and why were they afraid of him? Six years and no Altered 2.
½ January 6, 2013
A movie about several rednecks who capture an alien and then... Whisper quietly to one another? While it has it's moments and some gory scenes, this movie largely squanders the potential that it had for some genuine intrigue/scary moments.
January 5, 2013
Despite a couple of mediocre special effects, the film is extremely enjoyable. You get tossed into this crazy story from the beginning, and as you begin to see the pieces of the puzzle be put together it gets better and better. An underrated horror flick with a bunch of awesome things about it!
½ December 30, 2012
A movie about space aliens and a group of people stuck with one of them at a cottage.
The movie got better nearer to the end, and I would have given it a better rating without the foul language and a somewhat tedious argument the characters had halfway to the movie, it seemed to set up a standstill.
The movie seemed to have been influenced by Signs (the aliens seemed similar, people were stuck at a house surrounded by aliens, one alien was confined inside a house), Blairwitch project, Sam Raimi's horror movies, and more. This seemed to me like a "Blood and guts" version of "Signs". The film has thrilling moments without getting overboard with special effects.
The acting was actually pretty cool and the movie script worked. The movie starts and especially ends with intense thrilling action. The special effects are rather well done.
If awful language and gore and guts won't bother you, and you like spooky scifi movies then you might like this one.
½ December 27, 2012
A fun, tense, gruesome ride.
½ December 27, 2012
The aliens in this sci-fi horror flick do it all: control your mind and make you attack your friends, deliver flesh-eating viruses, plant bony, Cronenberg-esque tracking devices in your intestines, and just flat-out, violently attack you. From a distance, they look like men in green rubber suits, but up close they are intricate, disgusting, scary, and best of all, not CG. The only thing that prevented this movie from being great is that I never found much reason to care about any of the characters.
½ November 30, 2012

"There's no glowing fingers on these bastards."-Derek (Peter Jackson) BAD TASTE

Here's a title for you: FIRE IN THE SKY 2:REDNECK REVENGE.
October 14, 2012
Pretty good low budget sci-fi alien movie.

Some nice gore bits and the alien is cool.
October 5, 2012
theres a world record amount of F-bombs here that may ruin the movie for many viewers. but theres also some cool gore for the gore hounds
Ryan M
½ October 4, 2012
*** out of ****

The location is Florida; the middle of some woods that rests apparently not very far from or on a farm. Three men find themselves there at night, clearly hunting something. They bring with them high-tech weaponry and have traps already set all around them. If the dark shadows that linger nearby and sometimes make a peculiar noise before vanishing yet again are any indicator, what they are hunting is at least not of their own species. When one of these things falls into one of their traps (the famous rectangular-hole in the ground), we get confirmation that it isn't human. And these guys have got some serious beef with its race. The names of the men are Cody (Paul McCarthy-Boyington), Duke (Brad Henke), and Otis (Michael C. Williams). They bring the creature, alive, to their friend Wyatt's (Adam Kaufman) house.

So that officially makes four of them. Four men who we learn in due time were all at once abducted by the strange beings that dwell in the farmland forest about fifteen years ago. The beings (let's just go ahead and refer to them as aliens; that's what they are) took the life of a mutual friend, and now they are hungry for not only vengeance but answers. Once they're at and inside Wyatt's house, upsetting his girlfriend Hope, most of the action occurs there. They tie the alien down and cover its eyes with duct-tape so that it cannot influence the brains of the mortals present with its mind-controlling powers. They make an incision in its torso and emerge with an organ of some sort that will signal an entire army of extraterrestrials to its current location. It's only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan.

But what's a movie about people waiting for something to happen without an up-close-and-personal study of the people themselves? This is where Eduardo Sanchez's "Altered" is one of the best alien horror-thrillers since M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs"; the characters and the overall situation both feel incredibly real for a film that, at a glance, might seem to have bigger B-movie aspirations than it actually does. It's fun, sometimes quite gruesome and thoroughly creepy; but also surprisingly human. The film scores big in representing the grueling psychological effects that the abduction must have had on the boys; Wyatt appears to suffer the most.

I've heard word of the film being initially conceived as a horror-comedy. For the first half or so, it's a completely serious horror film that deals in ambiguity and claustrophobic tension. Within the second half, or whenever the aliens finally show themselves, it more or less becomes some embodiment of the film that Sanchez originally wanted it to be. In this second half, it gets over-the-top with rubber monsters and even a bizarre scene where a guy's life is in the hands of an alien with his bloody intestines in its own, until it all kind of simmers down in a somewhat disappointing and ultimately forgettable climax. Nevertheless, I enjoyed "Altered" throughout and found Sanchez's balancing of these different tones most impressive.

The film proves that there is life after "The Blair Witch Project" for Mr. Sanchez. He is clearly a talented filmmaker who knows how to turn rags into riches when it comes to his material (as exemplified brilliantly in that spooky first film of his). "Altered" is low-budget and low-key for the most part, but that never completely goes to its head. It does so much with what it's got, which doesn't seem like very much on the surface, and I admire it quite a bit. This isn't extraterrestrial, claustrophobic terror at the level of John Carpenter's "The Thing", but it's a whole lot smarter than you probably think it's going to be. I recommend it as long as you're one of those movie-goers who won't mind waiting for that thing to happen along with the characters so long as that thing is good payoff and the build-up is solid. In my honest opinion, the build-up here is more satisfactory than the payoff; but they can't all end well. It's the bulk of it that really counts.
½ September 19, 2012
A refreshingly old-school sci-fi horror film with really well executed practical effects and makeup. A fun watch.
½ September 17, 2012
not a total waste of time, but i expected better.
½ August 10, 2012
alright movie. not particularly scary but I like it. c:
August 6, 2012
Not bad, quite a cool story and the alien looked rather cool I thought, very well done for a low budget picture.
½ July 24, 2012
VERY good alien sci-Fi/horror flick! It has a very well developed story and really good special effects. The acting wasn't bad, either! I highly recommend this movie!