Always Reviews

• Apr 05, 2014

• Apr 29, 2011

A couple on the verge of divorce spend a 4th of July weekend entertaining their friends and examining why their own relationship went in the shitter. To be honest, this has some interesting moments, but overall just seems to be sending the message that any relationship is a tenuous house of cards waiting to fall apart at any moment. The director and his ex-wife star as the leads, perhaps giving you an insight into why they divorced, if his nagging, passive-aggressive bullshit in the film is any indication of their real life. Worth a look for the indie film fan, but I wouldn't believe the 'better than Woody Allen' hype on the DVD box.

• Nov 05, 2010

What's strange about this movie was that the characters slept around like they were at a key party but it was made in 1985! I did like the acting. Henry and Patrice were great and Patrice I assume just played herself. She came across as very self-centered. Alan was great as well. But it was very touching at times. I think the idea of a divorcing couple making love at the end was brutal. ouch!! worth watching. Unique movie

• Jul 25, 2010

ALWAYS: What a weekend. David (Henry Jaglom) and Judy (Patrice Townsend), real-life ex husband and wife, play out their relationship?s end (or re-beginning) in the house where they actually lived. An intensely personal film. Had I actually been there for the 4th of July weekend, where Judy and David are joined by best friends Lucy (Joanna Frank) and Eddie (Alan Rachins), I probably would have gone crazy, especially after they?re joined by Judy?s sister Peggy and her boyfriend. But being a fly on the wall and observing these couples deal with their issues and each other was fascinating. Lots of funny moments and poignant ones, as well. The question remains ? when is a relationship really over, especially if you still love each other? Jaglom?s in-your-face, improvisational style makes for a sharp level of reality. Are the lines blurred between acting and real life? I really enjoyed this film. See it and decide for yourself.

• Jan 02, 2009

Always was one of the most unique movies I've ever seen. With its half-staged / half-spontaneous cinema verite style, I found myself drawn to the quirkiness of its characters while other times I was bored and waiting for something to "happen." I'm not sure if I'd recommend it as it's just really bizarre (sometimes uncomfortably so), but there were a few very memorable, poignant moments. It's certainly a movie for the hopeless romantic - the daydreamer who gets lost in the reverie of "why?" - and yet also for the stoic realist. I was drawn to its premise being a "what if" thinker about many of my failed relationships, but don't expect to find too many romantic parallels to your own life here (as I did). These lovebirds are completely cuckoo! 1-2-2009

• Jul 27, 2008

A film at odds with itself -- the realism of the improvisational dialog butts heads with the rather artificial nature of the plot.

• Jul 25, 2008

Imagine you're invited to a 4th of July weekend at a stranger's house. You've never met him, but you've heard good things. Now imagine that when you get there, the house is full of the most pretentious, annoying, neurotic, and selfish people you've ever met. That's what watching "Always" is like. Now that I've discovered that this was actually Jaglom and his real ex-wife playing the roles, I'm even more annoyed. It was bad enough when I thought this was fictional. Realizing that this was kinda real makes these people all the more unappealing. I give myself credit for sticking around for the whole thing.