Amalufi: Megami no hsh (Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amalufi: Megami no hsh (Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess) Reviews

October 12, 2012
A nice try on making a Hollywood style suspense movie, unfortunately the script just isn't at that level.
April 28, 2012
Meh ... But I get to see Napoli and Rome
March 3, 2012
A great political thriller, however this movie concerned itself more in showing beautiful shots of Italy and highlighting the dangers of pickpocketing in Rome rather than focusing on the plot at times! The first half was pretty good with the kidnapping scenario but then it switched gear in the 2nd half to be about a bunch of terrorists who want to tell the world the truth about an incident in a small republic which killed their families. The things that happen during the 2nd half are pretty far fetched and shows the Italian police and intelligence agencies as idiots. That said I did find it a bit exciting. Yuda Oji is OK as the Japanese security expert Kondura but I was disappointed in Erika Toda(TM)s role. She wasn(TM)t as involved as I wanted her to be considering she(TM)s one of my favorite Japanese TV idols. There(TM)s even an appearance by Sarah Brightman who sings Time To Say Goodbye. As this was a movie by Fuji TV to celebrate their 50th anniversary, no expense has been spared in the production values " looks like they spent a lot of money getting everybody to Italy and employing Sarah Brightman too. On the whole it(TM)s a relatively entertaining investigative thriller running around Rome much like what Angels and Demons did.
½ June 26, 2011
A movie wasted money in Italy.
April 30, 2011
The storyline is quite predictable and a bit lengthy. But good to see YUJI ODA for such a long time after all his famous Japanese TV series, which reminds me the old days when watching Tokyo Love Story.
½ April 4, 2011
Starts off as a decent "My little girl's been kidnapped" thriller and then shoots itself in the foot complicatedly morphing into a melodramatic "Assassinate a Foreign Minister" thriller.
April 4, 2011
-"帥~ ""實~夠帥...
skactopus
November 12, 2010
Director Hiroshi Nishitani brings the Japanese to Italy in Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess.For an investigative drama, the story intrigues enough from start to finish. The film is a bit lengthy, as it does reach 2 hours, and it does get dramatic from time to time with very little in the way of destructive or violent action; however, watching the clues to the mystery unfold is enough to avoid total boredom.The visuals and landscapes of Italy are fantastic for a story lead by Japanese characters, even though at times it seems like the scenery is a distraction from the story itself. Sarah Brightman's "Time to Say Goodbye" is also a nice touch to the soundtrack of this picture.The acting is solid, despite being hugely dramatic and seriously toned. Yuji Oda is a reasonable foreign diplomat to lead the film, while Yuki Amami tags along as the mother of the kidnapped girl. Erika Toda is the liveliest of characters that raises a little fun out of the drama.As a whole Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess is a watchable investigative Japanese film. Don't forget to check your pockets.
October 10, 2010
A great political thriller, however this movie concerned itself more in showing beautiful shots of Italy and highlighting the dangers of pickpocketing in Rome rather than focusing on the plot at times! The first half was pretty good with the kidnapping scenario but then it switched gear in the 2nd half to be about a bunch of terrorists who want to tell the world the truth about an incident in a small republic which killed their families. The things that happen during the 2nd half are pretty far fetched and shows the Italian police and intelligence agencies as idiots. That said I did find it a bit exciting. Yuda Oji is OK as the Japanese security expert Kondura but I was disappointed in Erika Toda??s role. She wasn??t as involved as I wanted her to be considering she??s one of my favorite Japanese TV idols. There??s even an appearance by Sarah Brightman who sings Time To Say Goodbye. As this was a movie by Fuji TV to celebrate their 50th anniversary, no expense has been spared in the production values ?? looks like they spent a lot of money getting everybody to Italy and employing Sarah Brightman too. On the whole it??s a relatively entertaining investigative thriller running around Rome much like what Angels and Demons did.
July 9, 2010
Intriguing thriller, but kind of a popcorn movie.
½ June 12, 2010
the performance of Sarah Brightman really enlightened the movie
May 10, 2010
A rare Japanese movie with a topic not only about government sensitive issues, but also about other country's politics with Japanese conflicts. The entire movie was filmed in Europe and it's a very good filming and editing Japanese movie. Good casting, nice storyline, great scenes.
April 29, 2010
09年???????????影!!!
½ April 24, 2010
It's quite lite as a thriller movie, but it's worth watching.
½ April 24, 2010
clichéd plot, not interesting.
April 8, 2010
The most interesting thing about "Amalfi" is that it is a Japanese production in Italy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can just recall other three such coproductions. Then I'm tented to write "that's it". Trying to mock a Hollywood-like weakly developed hard to believe spystory and setting it in Italy is a mistake from the start. The best aspect of the movie is what is almost obvious to expect: Italy has fantastic touristic landscapes to show on film. That's the best of Italy... but just the worst of italians is shown: pickpockets, beggars, harassing courting...and so on. I didn't expect it. If this movie was intended in some way to burst japanese tourism in Italy, it will surely backfire. The saddest thing is that, as for the best, most of the worst is true. If italians could improve their manners we could see welcoming people on foreground over a beautiful background. But I expect much more from cinema... or was it intended for japanese television?!
March 1, 2010
Quite a good suspense movie but the pace is not running fast as usual as in Japanese movies. Beautiful Italian scenery. Fans of Yuki Amami as always.
February 2, 2010
Great music, and Italy is beautiful (no doubt). The story could be better, but actors and actresses all did great job!
January 17, 2010
one of the best japanese movie I've ever seen..
the storyline is brilliant and the cast is truly electrifying..
January 12, 2010
An elegantly-made whodunit thriller. The breathtaking Italian scenery combined with the suspenseful storyline would set your pulse racing and your mind whirling as you try to figure out what is going to happen next.