Amarcord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amarcord Reviews

December 30, 2016
Overrated. Full of disconnected scenes with puzzling purpose. Why does the young boy confront a cow on the road in the thick fog? The motorcyclist is just showing off and annoying. Some scenes go on too long.

The father calling his son "pezzo di merda" had me laughing hard.
December 18, 2016
"Amarcord" un nostalgico flusso di ricordi che nel suo magico idillio rivela la quintessenza dell'onirismo felliniano.
October 22, 2016
this is true masterpiece
July 23, 2016
Amarcord means "amaro" and "ricordo", translates to "love and "memory". This is a nostalgia film, based on Fellini's youth in a seaside village. It presents Fellini's deep character development and draws you in to the daily life of the protagonist youth and the citizens in town.
April 15, 2016
Amarcord will make you howl with laughter and then choke back a tear.
½ February 2, 2016
Fellini reaches the highest point of his personal musings as an artist, using his unmistakable style to recreate his boyhood into a stupendous seriocomic collection of delicious anecdotes and semi-autobiographical reminiscences drenched in a sweet amount of nostalgia.
½ January 31, 2016
The Italian counterpart to the British carry-on film. The film lacks a clear story, not uncommon with Italian films, it seems to be a series of sketches about the residents of a small town. Not very funny, or interesting. Well overrated.
December 27, 2015
Might get lynched for this, but I really did not get what the big deal is with this movie. It was entertaining, yes, but also really episodic, which I'm not a fan of. It basically feels like a bunch of (exaggerated) memories strung together. I did like the concept of an entire year passing, though.
½ November 22, 2015
Where am I? I don't seem to be anywhere. If death is like this, I don't think much of it. Everything's gone; people, trees, birds, wine. Well, up yours!
½ October 6, 2015
This movie is big and bombastic and perhaps surprisingly, quite cynical. It's one long metaphor constructed out of loosely connected individual scenes. There's a lot going on and viewers have plenty to think about and look at. Although it succeeds as a bigger picture, it doesn't really find the right balance between being a bigger picture and a more accessible one about a family in a community.
September 21, 2015
Aimless but well made and with passion. Not a film for everybody
½ July 30, 2015
When the amazing Federico Fellini is dealing with individuals he's incredibly dour. When dealing with ensembles he's almost an entirely different filmmaker. The autobiographical Amarcord ('I remember') is the finest, most exquisite and important films of Fellnii's later era, propelled by Nino Rota's infectious score and the gorgeous cinematography from Guiseppe Rotunno that makes every color pop, from the crisp blue Italian sky to a fading diva's crimson red coat. Amarcord centers on a small village during Italy's fascist period, in which everyday life is turned into indulgent, circus-like rituals laced with male adolescent desires, political intrigue and tragedy. It's Fellini's most personal effort, and maybe his most moving and affecting. Brilliant.
½ July 30, 2015
Fellini's "Amarcord" is a insightful, beautiful, funny, touching, charming and very human study of a town, nation and world long gone. It takes on magical elements as Fellini fuses his "memory" into a film that refuses to let you go.
½ June 13, 2015
My third Fellini I believe, and this one is also not making me go totally wild about him. This is maybe his "easiest" film that I have seen so far. It's funnier, and the surrealism is easier to spot.

Not the weirest of films, but I catch it as a blend of "Malena" and "Santa Sagre". There are many great scenes here. They are smart, funny, original or pretty - many of them certainly leave an impression. It's at a rather fast pace and loads of things appear all the time.
I feel it's biographical and dealing with his own childhood. The man has commented on that and said that it's not, but it really got that nostalgia or memory feel.

Girls and smokes. Drinks and farts. Weirdness and seriousity. You can relate, you can admire it.

7.5 out og 10 snowy peacocks.
June 6, 2015
I finally got around to seeing this Fellini's classic, and really enjoyed it. Fellini's use of colour is great, and it's a very human tale, also semi-autobiographical for Fellini. There's some fantastic cinematography, and plenty of humour. Any fan of classic cinema needs to check this film out!
½ June 6, 2015
Fellini's warmly nostalgic, carnivalesque memory piece is an extravagantly funny and dreamlike evocation of childhood memories in the form of a ribald and sweet series of colourful vignettes full of memorable, larger than life characters and visual splendor.
January 24, 2015
There were good funny scenes in it .
½ November 5, 2014
Every movie by Fellini that I see just gets weirder than the one before it. I've read that this is the last great film he made, that his later work got so bizarre that even his most loyal fans thought it was too much. But still, this is a great movie that I know I'll watch again in the near future.
October 30, 2014
Sweet, Charming, and everything great about Felini.