Amarcord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amarcord Reviews

June 22, 2017
Amarcord is such an enjoyable, fun, and sweet-hearted movie to watch. I couldn't help but notice how cartoony and interesting all of the characters were. It was almost like watching a Disney animation movie or a 90's cartoon, it was so nostalgic.

It was also so nice to see how Fellini's childhood home and life were like. I'll be watching this one again.
June 3, 2017
I'm not sure what to make of this movie. It surely is a grand picture with light humor showcasing the period of the 30s in fascist Italy, and the style is very familiar. But I can't come to a definite conclusion of what was the aim of Fellini beside of making a nostalgic movie about his childhood.
I smile at some critics who can't see the sarcasm of this movie towards the fascist regime, because they allegedly don't see that they are bad. In their view the showcase of it ought to be violent, bloody and disgusting only. Poor liberal people.
April 12, 2017
With more bawdy humor than one may expect from Fellini, this eccentric and breathless work of sheer genius has you in its talons from the word go.

With few exceptions, Fellini tends to prefer the truth of a moment rather than simply calling attention to the craft with flashy camera work. As such, "Amarcord" is not a flashy film, but it is bright, fun, well-intentioned, and gentle of spirit.

I've noticed that Federico Fellini's work tended to be more about finding detail and intimacy in the midst of a grand design. Every moment feels like a lavish set piece of costuming, subtext, writing, directing, and performance.

It's about fascism, young love, education, family, and the daily goings-on in a very specific Italian town. But you never feel the weight of those ideas unless he wants you to, because he's a master craftsman, and this is as confident a work as one is likely to see from him.
½ March 9, 2017
The first part is really funny with its satirical look but the second, more serious one feels a bit too long. A good but also overrated film I guess.
February 22, 2017
Amarcord is a playful, pleasant, poignant, and epic trip through a coastal town and its lively inhabitants.
½ February 6, 2017
Italian Monty Python!
½ January 28, 2017
Picture this- a woman with colossal breasts, a chicken being hypnotised by a farm boy, a blind accordion player...yep it's another visually sumptuous travelling circus from that master of Italian cinema: Frederico Fellini.
I don't entirely 'get' his films, I have to say but they never fail to leave an impression on me. His movies do have a wonderful look about them and he has a very distinct, eccentric Mediterranean style
December 30, 2016
Overrated. Full of disconnected scenes with puzzling purpose. Why does the young boy confront a cow on the road in the thick fog? The motorcyclist is just showing off and annoying. Some scenes go on too long.

The father calling his son "pezzo di merda" had me laughing hard.
December 18, 2016
"Amarcord" un nostalgico flusso di ricordi che nel suo magico idillio rivela la quintessenza dell'onirismo felliniano.
October 22, 2016
this is true masterpiece
July 23, 2016
Amarcord means "amaro" and "ricordo", translates to "love and "memory". This is a nostalgia film, based on Fellini's youth in a seaside village. It presents Fellini's deep character development and draws you in to the daily life of the protagonist youth and the citizens in town.
April 15, 2016
Amarcord will make you howl with laughter and then choke back a tear.
½ February 2, 2016
Fellini reaches the highest point of his personal musings as an artist, using his unmistakable style to recreate his boyhood into a stupendous seriocomic collection of delicious anecdotes and semi-autobiographical reminiscences drenched in a sweet amount of nostalgia.
½ January 31, 2016
The Italian counterpart to the British carry-on film. The film lacks a clear story, not uncommon with Italian films, it seems to be a series of sketches about the residents of a small town. Not very funny, or interesting. Well overrated.
December 27, 2015
Might get lynched for this, but I really did not get what the big deal is with this movie. It was entertaining, yes, but also really episodic, which I'm not a fan of. It basically feels like a bunch of (exaggerated) memories strung together. I did like the concept of an entire year passing, though.
½ November 22, 2015
Where am I? I don't seem to be anywhere. If death is like this, I don't think much of it. Everything's gone; people, trees, birds, wine. Well, up yours!
½ October 6, 2015
This movie is big and bombastic and perhaps surprisingly, quite cynical. It's one long metaphor constructed out of loosely connected individual scenes. There's a lot going on and viewers have plenty to think about and look at. Although it succeeds as a bigger picture, it doesn't really find the right balance between being a bigger picture and a more accessible one about a family in a community.
September 21, 2015
Aimless but well made and with passion. Not a film for everybody
½ July 30, 2015
When the amazing Federico Fellini is dealing with individuals he's incredibly dour. When dealing with ensembles he's almost an entirely different filmmaker. The autobiographical Amarcord ('I remember') is the finest, most exquisite and important films of Fellnii's later era, propelled by Nino Rota's infectious score and the gorgeous cinematography from Guiseppe Rotunno that makes every color pop, from the crisp blue Italian sky to a fading diva's crimson red coat. Amarcord centers on a small village during Italy's fascist period, in which everyday life is turned into indulgent, circus-like rituals laced with male adolescent desires, political intrigue and tragedy. It's Fellini's most personal effort, and maybe his most moving and affecting. Brilliant.