Hong Kong Confidential (Amaya) Reviews

• Apr 10, 2016

The film's okay for a low-budget international film. I liked the picturesque scenery of Hong Kong; the bustling streets, the dilapidated shops and the grandiose mountains brought back memories of my own trip to China. The Asian actors did a nice job portraying a typical Chinese relationship between the husband and the wife. The massage parlor boss character (Tao) was also well acted. I liked Paul's reflections on his own life (he's a charming character indeed), but I think Martinsons could've pushed those reflections a bit further and connected them to the grander theme of the film. The nonlinear plot also confused me at times, but maybe after watching it again I will get a better feel for it. Not bad movie, overall, but not as good as Loss.

• Nov 17, 2011

kazkoks nesusipratimas, o ne filmas.

kazkoks nesusipratimas, o ne filmas.

• Nov 13, 2010

Lithuanian and Latvian cinema are not exsistent. For long time all that was coming was a trashy, badly produced art-house films or same bad hollywood copies. Happily "Amaya" brings hope by being well made. "Amaya" tells a story of a lone traveler Pol and his life changing visit in Hong Kong. The story isn't bad but it's partly about nothing. It talks about life and relations but it doesnt bring exeptional themes with. Although there are a lot of funny accidential situations. And for more casual viewer it would be great. While story isn't interesting enough to keep the attention a lot of effort is put in directing. This is where "Amaya" starts to fall short. Director Martinsons tries to kepp viewers attention by using cheap tricks like begining in the med-res or traditional independent films stary scene with melancholic pop song in the backround. All this remainds me of Invictus where Eastwood was increasing tension out of simple scenes. It is sad because simplier scenes was much more atractive. Overall "Amaya" is descent film. It even may seem great for a more casual viewer or fans of Kar Wai Wong, but for me movie lover it falls short without giving a more chalenging life questions.

• Nov 05, 2010

"AMAYA- is a story about a romantic guy Paul (actor Andrius Mamontovas), who wanders around the world after a dramatic divorce from his girlfriend Lori (actress Kristine Nevarauska). The USA, Chile, Japan, India, Thailand... After three years Paul finds himself in Hong Kong. Here he meets Amaya (actress Kaori Momoi) and her comic family. This strange Western guy Paul applies to take massage courses organized by Amaya's brother-in-law Tao (actor Lau Dan). In the saloon he meets Jasmine (actress Monie Tung). Prior feelings do not go away easily, and show up again in the least expected times and places. Three different women help Paul go through unexperienced feelings of "love", "longing", "joy", "divorce" and find new meaning in life. The movie explores different types of relationships. It shows the differences between Eastern and Western cultures, and sometimes comic and even absurd situations that can occur in everyday lives. Cast: Kaori Momoi, Kristine Nevarauska, Andrius Mamontovas, Laura Luize Dzenite, Lau Dan, Hui Shiu Hung, Monie Tung, Dexter Fletcher, camera man Gints Berzins, music Andrius Mamontovas Directed by Maris Martinsons Scriptwriter: Maris Martinsons Producer: Linda Krukle, Maris Martinsons (Latvia), Chen On Chu(Honkong) "

• Oct 03, 2010

Patiko labiau, negu "Nereikalingi žmonės". Geros mintys, gražus garso takelis. Bet kad suprasti iki galo, matyt, reiktų žiūrėti dusyk ;)

• Oct 03, 2010

Toks keistokas filmas... Kadangi jau buvau nusiteikusi neholivudiniam filmui, taip ir visai nieko... na labai nesužavėjo, bet vat vis tiek buvo kažkas įdomaus: Kinijos vaizdai, kiniečių gyvenimo būdas, Mamontovas, diskusijos (po filmo) :)