The Ambushers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ambushers Reviews

January 14, 2013
Dean was GREAT! All his MATT HELM movies were great!!
½ June 1, 2012
Well it's a bit of an overkill by now... but Dean went on to make a fourth Matt Helm which I think I voluntarily missed.
June 25, 2011
Tredje Matt Helm filmen och den är väl ungefär som de två tidigare fast aningen sämre. Det poppiga sextiotalsmodet är fortfarande det som sticker ut mest och som är mest underhållande.
½ November 18, 2010
The third Matt Helm movie. Still bad, still fun.
September 13, 2010
"You know what happens to people who get caught in an electromagnetic field? They DIE!" Love the 60s sci-fi-spy cheese. Love the awful awful double entendres. Love the hydromechanical servo valve beer lifting suits. Love the sweet purple boots. Love the sweet lime green boots. Love the sweet orange over-the-knee boots. Love the Get Smart-y villain. Love his house full of titty paintings. Love the Fez-wearing baddie (Silly spies, never trust a man in a fez on a plane.) Love his baby blue Mustang. Love when the woman says, "But Maaaatt," and it sounds like, "But Maaaaax." Way better than The Silencers. If only Dean Martin were, like, actually attractive. I gots to respect Matt's lilac pants and matching lilac shoes, though.
September 13, 2010
August 2, 2010
The first movie in the Matt Helm series, The Silencers, was a decent James Bond spoof, and good fun. This falls short of that mark, seeming to just go through the motions with no fresh ideas.

Avoid this, watch The Silencers instead.
June 24, 2010
The Ambushers is a fascinating product for its' time. Dean Martin stars as Matt Helm, an obvious James Bond knockoff but with a lascivious superhero, played by Dean Martin. Dean-o had his fans back in '67, had the whole rat pack mystique backing him up (which deserves some study) and so he could get away with this. The plot, being as it is, finds Helm on the hunt for a missing flying saucer kidnapped by a South American ruler. It's up to Helm, and oh yes, the female ex-pilot, to get the space ship back. Did I tell you half of this movie involves ogling 60's babes in out there fashions? Yeah, so while Martin leads us on the plot, he also leads us into Babedom. Hubba.
½ April 29, 2010
I like this one because of the "Moonraker" style with the space ...James Bond in later films had to get some ideas like Austin Powers form these movies
½ April 25, 2010
Dean Martin returns once again as Matt Helm, photographer and super-spy. Plenty more goofy gags and cute young girls surround Martin as he drinks his way through another adventure. This one has an extra crazy story with a flying saucer and a brewery. Great stuff.
March 22, 2010
like a low budget Bond but still campy fun
January 24, 2010
I adore these Dean Martin/Spy flicks!! So, soooo funny (& so much better then those 007 flicks lol.) See The WRECKING CREW & THE SILENCERS.
½ September 9, 2009
Spy spoof with Dean Martin mugging it up gamefully as photographer-cum-Secret Agent Matt Helm. Incredibly dated and sexist - but in that knowing 1960's style you cant help but enjoy anyway. Nonsesical, silly but harmless - and certainly something you wouldn't watch twice!
½ August 1, 2009
Campy Dean Martin vehicle. Lots of in-jokes for Martin lovers but other than that a pretty run of the mill movie. A pair too many brasseire jokes.
April 21, 2009
One if the best films I remember as a kid
April 7, 2009
This third outing for Martin as agent Matt Helm is a real turkey. The plot is awful, the jokes thiner than paper and there was nothing special about any of the effects. The constant pumping soundtrack behind everything gets annoying after a while as well. It's hard to believe they actually made another one after this.
½ March 10, 2009
So incredibly silly and goofy that you would have to be a terminal grouch not to smile at this nonsense.

Get this: the plot's actually about UFOs that can only be piloted by women (don't ask) who, naturally, are all hot chicks, and someone they go missing or something and Matt Helm is enlisted to save the day.

It's totally ridiculous, of course, but charming in an antiquated way. The theme song is about how women will "ambush" men into marriage, so fellas beware! -- I kid you not -- and the credit sequences shows girls in bikinis jumping out from behind trees in the hopes of catching a husband. See? How can you not smile at that! C'mon, it's the 60s and times are groovy ... from what I've read.

Only the extreme 60s spy flick fans should be watching this one. Everyone else: Nothing to see here.
½ April 29, 2006
Typical Matt Helm film. Halfway enjoyable if you're a Dino fan.