Amélie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amélie Reviews

September 6, 2016
it is magical , enjoyable , mesmerising . I love it
September 5, 2016
A funny story about a quirky, endearing woman.
August 30, 2016
A striking visual experience with a funny, charming story and crazy direction, Amelie is a fine classic in French cinema that should be seen by all.
August 25, 2016
There seems to be a pretty large backlash against this film, especially among critics and film fans. I don't share the sentiment, but I get it. This film tries very very very hard to be a happy, crowd-pleasing film, and I think it's seams show. The effort being exerted is palpable. I don't think general audiences see this, so they LOVED this film, and there's a natural tendency to react to that with skepticism when you can see what the film is doing. I often react that way. In this case, I didn't. The film is like a happiness machine, and it generally works for me. I don't LOVE it, but I like it ... quite a bit actually.
½ August 23, 2016
Most of the movie made NO sense! Complete nonsense. I did however, like the scenes at the bar and the old painter. The rest of the movie was way too out of out if it for me.
½ August 20, 2016
Otras de las fantásticas obras dentro del especial realismo mágico de Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Una película que va más allá de ser una simple experiencia "feel good" y que está repleta de capas y lecturas que se pueden ir descubriendo con cada visionado.

Pero no solo eso, sino que su envoltorio visual y musical es tan original, perfecto y acorde con la película, que realmente es complicado encontrarle alguna pega.

Una película fantástica y punto.
July 22, 2016
Amélie is a film full of charm, quick wit, offbeat humour and likably eccentric characters. The story of a girl confined by her insecurities and instead living mostly through her fruitful imagination was not at all what I was expecting, and in the best of ways. Its constant bubbliness was occasionally detrimental, as the dramatic payoff was undermined by the films perpetual avoidance of reality. The romance, which becomes its focal point during the third act, isn't very interesting or involving, and it often feels like the movie could do with wrapping up before it completely runs out of steam. But I was made to smile often and laugh frequently, especially at the randomness of the jokes and the deliberately caricaturish individuals. It's definitely worth seeing, probably more than once, as the colourful and lively scenes are richly layered and beautiful to look at, and Audrey Tautou is perfect in the lead role. Watch if you ever have the chance.
July 22, 2016
A French Wes Anderson movie?
July 19, 2016
As charming as all of your annoying film friends insist that it is.
½ July 7, 2016
Gorgeous, unique, and, most of all, quirky, "Amelie" is that rare film that makes us appreciate life all around us. It's simple premise and wonderful protagonist played by the talented Audrey Tautou keeps us invested and smiling thanks to a well-written script, a detailed direction by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and one of kind cinematography delivered by Bruno Delbonnel. It's romantic, funny, and relatable. Definitely a good film to watch with a love one.
June 9, 2016
From its storyline, to cinematography, to the cast, to the soundtrack, this film has a bizarre yet unique character. Amelie is very charming. It's not your typical romance story and I enjoyed every moment of it.
½ June 4, 2016
Amélie's unique visual style, great sound design, intelligent screenplay, and outstanding lead performance by Audrey Tautou make it an absolute delight. While so many twenty first century films tend to be more pessimistic, it is incredibly refreshing to see a film that believes in the inherent goodness of people, and the benefits of being kind to other people. It feels a tad bit repetitive and long, but it's difficult to complain when so much of the film is such a delight. Overall, this is one to add to the watchlist.
May 31, 2016
Extremely funny and well made movie that's hard to place in a category. However, it lost much of its momentum after the first thirty minutes.
May 24, 2016
One of my absolute favourite films of all-time. A beautifully-shot and delightful romantic comedy brought to life by the charming performance of Audrey Tautou.
½ May 21, 2016
I gave up after 30 minutes in. What is so interesting about this movie? Huge disappointment for me as I was looking forward to watch this after I finished watching 'Priceless'
May 2, 2016
Charming, beautiful, funny, sad, amazing. One of my all-time favorite films.
April 25, 2016
This is a great film!When it first came out it was like one of the biggest succes in France & around the world at that time!Once again Jeunet takes us on a journey in a dreamy Paris along a young girl living adventures and looking at life in a total different way! A magnificent film filled with positivity, optimism and an amazing outlook on life. A must see!
April 19, 2016
The beauty of uniqueness. Noticing things others do not and being interested in things others are not makes the lead character "weird" in the most desirable way. The writing and directing take the story deep into the viewers' souls. I wish Amelie was somehow recorded in English, Mandarin, Punjab, etc. but kept the same uniqueness that was shown off so well in French. I wanted to move to France and find a shy, witty, thoughtful barista. At least I have a copy of the DVD to watch whenever I wanted.
½ April 16, 2016
Beautifully shot and well acted, the quirky film might lose a viewer or two based on it's meandering, flimsy plot.