America the Beautiful Reviews

• Dec 20, 2013

good doc check out part 2

good doc check out part 2

• May 28, 2013

thoughtful and well informed look at the beauty industry and ideals in America and beyond

• Mar 31, 2013

Interesting and sometimes shocking documentary, but on the whole there is nothing new or surprising here. The film covers a multitude of different topics without delving too deeply into any one of them or delivering any original insights. Still recommended as food for thought.

• Aug 18, 2012

I saw this rare treat on Netflix. With an election coming up, the banality level is going through the roof. I'm one of those persons who urges voters to 1) become informed and 2) be discriminate in what passes as knowledge. This movie does not take sides, but in the scream loud nonsense and flat out lie until people believe you, the far right (even the close right) is winning hands down. However, the movie is none-too-gentile on the liberal psychobabble on child rearingâ"so don't expect your side to be handled "fairly" while the other side is righteously blasted to fire and brimstone. Some viewers will be offended by the violence as two characters--a middle age man and teeny-bopper --blast away the many ills and evil they find in contemporary society. (Where were these guys when I needed them when a person disrupted a movie with their cell phones?) However, the violence is more like a pointer in a presentation--"Look at this" --than the kind of violence in the blood baths found in horror films that have no message other than to scare dates into a clutching snuggle. Some who see this film will come away with "OMG, they shot a reality show star!" and others will think, "Not a bad idea..." The whole point is to look at what has happened to our culture, as smallness and meanness have replaced any kind of nobility and decency. (Even 'nobility' has come to mean 'entitled.') Just you wait, though. Some half-wit will claim films like this 'caused' the massacre at the Batman movie. They'll have missed the point entirely and perhaps belong on that list of contemporary shallowness in thought and deed.

• Jun 20, 2012

All women should watch this. Wow. They really mess with our heads!

All women should watch this. Wow. They really mess with our heads!

• Oct 29, 2011

Interesting but still didn't manage to change my mind...

Interesting but still didn't manage to change my mind...

• Aug 14, 2011

This is something everyone should watch. Especially if you have daughters or plan to have daughters. It informed me, it made me angry, but it also made me hopeful that I could be a different type of woman for girls to look up to.

• Mar 12, 2011

There's some good footage in the clusterf*ck of material that went into this documentary, which couldn't decide if it wanted to be about a) the beauty standards of America, b) a twelve year-old making and breaking it in the fashion industry in a short time span, c) the struggle of people with dark skin to be accepted into the standard of how beauty is judged, d) the epidemic eating disorders e) false media representation defining the self-worth of girls in America or f) of the filmmaker representing himself as the humanitarian crusade of equality and acceptance in the aesthetic world. Some could say: hey it was about all of that, all of those ideas are interrelated. I still call it a clusterf*ck.

• Mar 10, 2011

Very well done documentary. Goes into Americas obsession with the perfect looking woman. Seeing the 12 Year old model was shocking. All women are beautiful. Not just the models.

• Feb 08, 2011

"America the Beautiful" does a good job giving a message about an epidemic that is taking place in the U.S. and in other parts of the world. It centers on a young girl aspiring to be a model, and who eventually does make it, focusing on the sacrifices and hardships she has to overcome as well as those around her. In the meantime, there are also interviews done with magazine writers and editors who advertise beauty products, fashion designers, psychologists, plastic surgeons, and other people that have something to do with the "beauty world." I like how they did this because it broadens the view on the topic and gives more insight and information; however, some of the opinions are too exaggerated or hard to agree with. Technically, the documentary is not that great. I caught the boom mic on the camera once, some angles were just bad, and it seemed like sometimes some scenes were way brighter or darker than others. I understand it is a documentary and there are different environments involved, but this is essential and important as well to have a bigger and stronger impact. The point is that more and more girls (and boys as well) feel pressured to look "perfect," often times endangering their health, relationships, sacrificing their youth, etc. It will be a battle to fight the media influencing them on doing this, but then again each person is responsible for their actions, so in my opinion, the media shouldn't be blamed. Each person has an option to be beautiful however they want; in the end, they know the risks and consequences. If you or anyone you know is suffering from anorexia, bulimia, or depression, seek help. You are beautiful.