American Cannibal: The Road to Reality - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Cannibal: The Road to Reality Reviews

September 17, 2010
American Cannibal? Sign me up for seconds! That's good eatin'! Mmmmm Good. American Cannibal. It goes down smooth. American Cannibal. Tastes like pork. American Cannibal. It's Kosher. NOT! American Cannibal. No German's were harmed in the making of this film. American Cannibal.
May 1, 2009
Evidently the Blair Witch Project of documentaries, this deftly explores the craze of the reality show.
June 13, 2008
Interesting knowing that it was going to eventually fall apart. Who doesn't like to watch a train wreck happen?! It was alright.
April 30, 2008
Not what I expected.
½ April 17, 2008
My friends were on Dr. Phil to help promote this "Documentary" and I say that with quotes not like how people refer to Michael Moore's docs but becasue it's very clear how scripted this movie is. And as far as my friend could tell me from meeting the guy's on Dr. Phil... the main storyline is fictional to show how low reality TV could sink but the cast members are totally real people who thought they were gonna be on the next huge Reality Show (which is about putting 6 people on an island with no food for a week and a half to see if they'd start to eat each other)
April 14, 2008
Was this all fake? Was it partly real? The problem, or maybe the genius of this film is that it could have been either one. It wasn't entirely satisfying either way, though.
April 6, 2008
Not well made, which is too bad, because it could have been really good
March 30, 2008
Quite a pointless documentary, oh wow a blonde bimbo got ill on a reality show, which was her own fault anway. I thought I'll get to see some actual cannibalism, not two nerds trying to make something shocking and then whining about it in the end when they could have stopped with the production at any time. Well it was mildy entertaining for a while but dragged on for ages with a pointless ending.
February 25, 2008
I don't know that it was great, but definitely intriguing. And I still can't tell, after numerous internet searches, how much of it was real.
February 20, 2008
surprisingly good doc. like everyone else...i have no clue which parts are real and which were staged. i'm totally kind of freaked out about that girl though. nothing is ever really said...i mean, is she even alive?

but anyway, yeah it was a great look into pitching idea after idea and how draining it is...just to have someone use an idea of yours, thats not even what you want. then have it spiral down to nothing.

it was almost like they were being forced to sell out into reality tv and the whole time they hated themselves for it.
February 16, 2008
This is absolutely brilliant. Is it real, is it not? Well, the answer that question in the first minute: it's both. Makes a powerful statement of disposable celebrity, reality TV, and how far things are willing to go. As someone in the business myself, it hits home on a lot of levels.
½ February 10, 2008
i think its true one day we will see public executions on tv
February 6, 2008
Somewhat interesting story of two writers trying to get a reality television show off the ground, but it somehow falters the further into the film you get. I'm not sure what we're supposed to glean from the ending of the film, as the shows' production is plagued from the start, but it was an interesting way to wast an hour and a half.

Give it a look on cable, like I did.
½ January 30, 2008
Decent doc, shows some of the true horrors of the entertainment biz.
December 13, 2007
Not what I thought it was going to be. Very boring.
December 13, 2007
This was a weird documentary. It was weird because, at one point, I suddenly started to have doubts about if the thing was real or a faux documentary. It follows two men pitching their ideas to producers hoping something would get picked up, and the one that gets a green light is a reality show with cannibalism that the guys mention as a joke. Some scenes just appeared too staged and I had a hard time believing such a reality show could ever come to exist, even in today's society. And why have we not heard anything about this? Anyway, it tries to comment on the popularity of reality television and the direction they are going, that is, more and more hardcore. Some of the things are interesting but I just could not get over the fact that I do not know if this was a real documentary or entertainment. I still have no idea. Pretty sick world if that show really filmed for a while.
December 12, 2007
Not a bad doco, but it's more a tale of what "selling out" to the big dollar can do to you and your relationships than a commentary on the ever more sick search for TV ratings. I enjoyed it, though.
½ November 16, 2007
I'm not the big documentary guy, but hearing the premise for this movie was too much to ignore. Perhaps I'm the guy they were talking about.

This movie is pretty interesting. We, in fact, are the reality viewers watching the soap opera that are these writers' lives. But at least this time there is a lesson to be learned. I really respect these two guys (despite them being way too nerdy for me to handle sometimes.) We start the movie at the height of their desperation as it is. I have to give it to the directors for making us really relate to these two down-and-out writers.

The part that tricked me was the film description. It seemed like these writers desperately wanted to make a cannibalism gameshow. Not true. The concept was to see if anyone was up to the concept of cannibalism without ever being encountered with that situation.

The eeriest thing about this movie is the Paris Hilton sex tape producer. Man, I can't believe this guy exists. Not only did he scream "douche" personality-wise, but he just seemed morally clueless.