American Hot Wax - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Hot Wax Reviews

July 29, 2016
Damn this ended up being a pretty good film. Laraine proved she could do drama and not just live comedy. Jay Leno was surprisingly good and everybody else just played it good.
April 20, 2012
One of, if not the best rock and roll movie. The end concert is not to be missed.
April 5, 2012
This excellent, well acted nostalgic look at the birth of rock 'n' roll is driven more by its amazing soundtrack and less by plot.
½ May 3, 2009
I saw this back in the day and there's really not much plot, but man oh man -what a lineup of who's who at the live concert at the end. WOW!
November 8, 2008
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! This is without a doubt the best movie I have seen in years...and I just watched it for the first time last night before going to bed at 2am. It is a little piece of movie heaven that make syou wish you were there...in the 50's during the birth of Rock-n-Roll. I can't believe I had never seen this before. It feels like a film that should be a mainstream cult hit! But it's not. AND THAT MAKES IT EVEN COOLER! Tim McIntire is great as Alan Freed and the rest of the cast, especially The Cadillacs and the kid that plays Artie are fabulous. This could be one of the most perfect films made...at least in its genre. The period and look and feel were captured perfectly. I honestly don't think anyone could make a movie like this today. It wouldn't hit the marks that this one did. It would have way too much glass to it and have to hit certain plot points and character shortcomings to have an effect on a modern day audience. When it comes down to it, it would be too formulaic with too much "hit-you-over-the-head drama". And of course, the music was just amazing! Some of the best scenes were when all these different groups wanted to sing for Freed because they weren't known yet. When the groups start singing, you recognize these songs as really big hits and you feel special like you were able to witness the creation of this historic songs and groups. There are some historical blips in the story, but it really doesn't matter. American Hot Wax is by far one of the most entertaining films I have ever seen and should not be missed.
March 6, 2008
great movie fran is so young
½ February 13, 2008
If you want to know what early rock and roll sounded like this is a good place to start.
October 20, 2007
Classic - When Is this coming out on dvd.
October 8, 2007
I dont' understand why this movie isn't famous. it should be a classic. It's characters are hilarious and it's plot is unique.
½ July 9, 2007
Great recreation of rock's 1st golden era. Jay Leno's highpoint as an actor.
June 14, 2007
Very good...shows life in the 50's...wish I coulda been there!
March 17, 2007
½ March 5, 2007
Very Interesting Sound Track & story
August 9, 2006
A fascinating look back at the hey day of 50s rock and roll and the man most responsible Alan Freed. This film features performances by many of the original artists who were at Freeds legendary Rock and Roll Show which was the woodstock or lollapaloosa of the 50s. Any fan of music should enjoy this toe-tapping treat(damn that sounds lame).WATCH FOR: a young Jay Leno and an even younger Cameron Crowe.