The American - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The American Reviews

April 9, 2017
MK 3/5: Cliched, but stylish.
½ February 5, 2017
George Clooney stars in the film The American. Clooney stars as Jack a lone assassin who is a bit nerved after nearly being assassinated by some Swedes. He decides to hide out in a small Italian town of Castel del Monte to hide out. His boss gives him an assignment as he waits for the smoke to clear and tells him not to make any friends.

He meets the client, a beautiful young Italian woman Ingrid (Irina Bjorklund), who has very specific measurements for the gun to be manufactured. The film is more of a character study of an assassin and depicts the live of what an assassin might truly be like. The constant looking behind your shoulder, the loneliness, and the inability to trust anyone to the point of almost paranoia. Aside from a few shootings and a chase, there is not much action in the film. The craftsman ship of building a customized weapon was interesting. Much of the films interaction is with a local priest who can tell that there is more than what meets the eye with Jack who is posing as a photographer. The rest of the interactions are with the films only romantic entanglement, a young prostitute named Clara (Violante Placido), who is quite breathtaking.

The American is a sexy, slow and suspenseful and it is not your conventional action film. The film is more of a suspenseful thriller that shows what the life of a real assassin might be. This is not the Bond like film that is filled with high stakes, glamour and girls. Instead we have small Italian town, prostitutes for company, and constantly hoping not to be killed. Clooney is great as calm and collected spy who keeps to himself and is careful to cover his tracks. The film is gorgeously shot and features excellent shots of the small town of Italy, and its surrounding landscapes. The small and evolving chemistry between Clara and Jack gave the film a more human element to the film, to indicate that Jack is not simply a heartless, cold blooded killer. The title of the film and the way the film is marketed will sadly mislead most audiences and many will find this to be too slow and boring. I found this film to be one of my favorite spy thrillers.

-2.5.2017
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 14, 2017
Trailer gave me some interest.
January 5, 2017
An instant classic spy thriller with George Clooney better than ever!
November 24, 2016
Meh. The usual brooding assassin who develops a conscience and has sex with beautiful women. This is like a darker, moodier version of James Bond. Feels too pretentious and commercial.
½ November 3, 2016
Very touching and moody movie but I really enjoyed it.
October 23, 2016
Presenting itself as a thriller, The American is actually much more of a think-piece. Unfortunately, the barest requirement for a think-piece is that it gives you something to think about, and this movie does not. Sitting through this film was like sinking in quicksand. With the insufferably slow pace, the intense but simultaneously meaningless expressions, the long shots of landscapes for no reason other than that they look pretty, I quickly began to suspect that I had put on a Terrence Malick movie by mistake. Even as it reached its conclusion, which contains the second, and final action scene, I honestly felt like nothing of any importance had happened. I love George Clooney, but his talents are totally wasted here. He's not charming, he's not funny, he isn't even cool, something he can usually pull off in his sleep. Throughout the film he looks so bored and depressed that I swear he wished he was anywhere else. The twist is predictable, the dialogue frustratingly inane and the incongruously plinky-plonky piano music feels like it was lifted from a completely different film, and probably a much better one. It might work as an Italian travelogue, but as cinematic entertainment, it's a dismal failure.
October 10, 2016
Here is a good example to not to believe the rating on Flixster. I've seen way more lousy films rated much higher than this.

More of a thriller-drama, The American slows it down just right, which i suspect will be too slow for many modern ADD viewers. It was quite well-shot and has some pretty suspenseful moments.

I felt the performances are a bit too muted though, and its definitely not Clooney's best work. And i do not understand the need to kill his partner just cause they were followed.
½ August 25, 2016
If you think silence is as meaningful as words, like to watch the patterns and movements of a deliberate but tortured mind, and of course have an interest in the hidden world of assassins, with a ill-fated love story thrown in... this the movie for you.
August 13, 2016
I didn't "get it." Why was the first girl killed? Why was the 2nd girl killed by her boss? Some stunning photos only partially make up for plot issues.
August 8, 2016
I liked this. Underrated in my opinion.
August 7, 2016
Painfully slow and thoroughly disengaging, The American lacks any must see moments to make up for the pace.
½ August 6, 2016
If you don't like the style or pace of an Italian film, then you won't like anything about 'The American'. Mr. Clooney does a marvelous job portraying an assassin working to construct a weapon for a mysterious contact. The pace of the film allows the suspense to grow as the story progresses. Beautiful scenery and the gorgeous Violante Placido contribute to an impressive film.
June 12, 2016
One of the better adaptations of 'Le Samourai'
½ June 6, 2016
If you like Italy this is a nice snapshop of it, even though the movie is not that exciting as it should
½ May 30, 2016
The American is a refreshing film to see in a time when most movies are sequels, spin-offs, or big-budget blockbusters. It is a character study of an assassin, played by George Clooney, taking place in the beautiful hills of Italy. The cinematography is amazing, and the screenplay allows for many overhead shots of villages and mountains to be seen. The film's premise and storyline are reminiscent of an Italian film from the 1960s, and it captures most of the magic of that era.
May 14, 2016
I wasn't into it. I guess Cloney wasn't working for me this time around.
½ May 9, 2016
I watched this a while ago, but I remember liking it. I'd say a bit on the boring side though- I can see why the audience rating is much worse.
April 24, 2016
Taut, but completely forgettable.