American Adobo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Adobo Reviews

½ June 9, 2012
predictable filipino movie cheese, but there were some good silly moments only filipinos themselves would get.
June 18, 2011
forgettable. funny, touching... but too cliche.
June 11, 2011
American Adobo takes an old, but effective premise, A movie with a food theme! and flavors it with a Philipino point of view. 5 immigrant friends get together quite frequently for Adobo, a type of Philipino meat dish and talk about what's been happening in their lives. The characters themselves, unfortunately are so stock. There's the philandering one, the political one, the ugky duckling one, the heartbroken one, and yes, the gay dude, complete with a boyfriend in the hospotal. Nothing unpredictable really happens, but I did like the premise, and made me hungry for Adobo, whatever that is.
½ June 11, 2011
I watched about 1/2 an hour of this rubbishy waste of time.
Phillipino rubbish made in America - give it a big miss...
March 4, 2011
i need to watch it first!!! i cant find your movie!!!
½ August 26, 2009
For a Filipino movie, I rather liked it. I admit, there were many moments when it fell into stale cliches, and the guy playing Raul is a pretty bad actor, but overall I enjoyed it and think it can give outsiders a small taste of Fil-Am culture. Now I need to go eat some adobo.
June 30, 2009
very very erotic!
lolx
ausam man!!
just cheked it out!!
June 10, 2009
i want a movie clip for this movie!!!!
April 27, 2009
hope its as god as the others
February 23, 2009
Diba sila nagsasawa sa adobo?!
½ January 29, 2009
December 22, 2008
i seen evry american pie movie exept this one so i really want to see it so bad
½ December 5, 2008
The movie, American Adobo, started off very nicely and the engaging character buildups were encouraging. The actors seem very relaxed and they all seemed to handle their craft very well. However, as the plot starts to turn into the conflict phase, the movie instantly dives into some tearful, very-"Filipino"-like, melodramatic excursion. Ironically, during the movie, Christopher De Leon's daughter, while being reprimanded, reminded him not to turn their conversation into some "Filipino"-movie variety. The director should have also taken heed. While the professional presentation (probably due to its international release) was noteworthy, the same components of most Filipino dramas was alive and unfortunately rooted in too much emphasis on the tearjerker approach, and add to that some untimely political and socio-religious moralities. This kind of annoying manipulation sends wrong messages and somehow promotes agendas that were totally not needed in the movie. Chistopher De Leon gave a somewhat commendable performance but the rest of the cast seem too rigid and too mechanical. Paolo Montalban was thrown in the cast to warrant the movie's parental guidance viewing and his character seemed superficially unexplored beyond his dealings with the afterthoughts of possibly contacting AIDS. Cherry Pie Picache typifies the overtly emotional and over-acting 'masochist'. Her character (and Ricky's) were the central figures but she leaves us with an unsatisfied feeling, probably due to her uneven and 'pitiful' performance. Dina Bonnevie's relationship almost seemed a distraction since her dealings with infidelities bordered on the common day-to-day and her acting needs work and polishing. Ricky Davao's tale was intriguing but the movie seemed to revolve too much around the homosexuality and AIDs issue that we are tied too much to his personal demons without knowing his real character. Gloria Romero's emotional outbursts, while heartfelt, was a bit strained and too 'sentimentally-syrupy'. The best part of the movie was when Christoper De Leon and Ricky Davao were driving and talking. Unfortunately, there were not more of this - there were too many trite conversations, unneeded banterings, and unrealistic discussions. Why can't they just talk like normal people instead of trying so hard to impress us with their over-the-top chit-chat. A couple of haunting shots were the two scenes with the Twin Towers in the background - one scene with Cherry Pie and Dina talking, and the other scene right at the end of the movie, which shows the new restaurant and the towers. I expected a lot from this movie and I felt it was dissapointing and 'bland' to say the least.
½ July 18, 2008
As the film loses its grip on its multiple stories, the title begins to suggest an overheated stew bubbling out of its pot. By the end of the film, the intersecting dramas and histrionic performances have spilled all over the floor, so to speak.
½ March 20, 2008
It's pretty alright for a filipino movie. I have been on the search for a decent/good one. It has some laughs and it has some drama. I can see each character in my own family... to an extent. I enjoyed.. and if you have a family like that.. you'll identify with them...
½ September 15, 2007
Sex is the appetizer. Love is the main course. Friendship is the dessert.
April 3, 2006
I thought this film was entertaining and interesting. Good character development, fine story. Sometimes very funny. It is an uncomfortable mix of comedy and melodrama though. The actring is quite good.