American Animal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Animal Reviews

September 2, 2015
A pretty mess of a movie.
½ October 16, 2014
A fine example of pretentious, self-congratulatory indie filmmaking. What the writer-director believes is an avant garde look into the nature of madness and friendship is more like being forced to endure the worst slam poetry reading and ego-driven art exhibit imagable.
½ October 4, 2014
Wholly crap this movie is so torture. Matt D'Elia please never make another movie.
December 26, 2013
This film might annoy the hell out of people, but I just loved it! Jimmy is a truly original character that Matt D'Elia has created and he does a damn good job. It's one of the most twisted art house films I've seen in a long time with a very interesting message underneath all it's manic self-indulgence.
½ August 6, 2013
Should people who did not watch an entire movie be allowed to write a review? That is the question I was pondering about before writing this review, because I did not watch the entire movie. To be precise, at 44 minutes and 34 seconds I stopped watching. Why? because it simply wasn't entertaining enough, it did not touch me, it did nothing to me. Is the movie bad? Not super bad. But definately not fun enough. It's about these two dudes, losers, one of which seems to be very ill, but doesn't act ill, but more stupid, a bit like a lunatic. The other is the more responsible one. Then, two dumb girls enter the scene, they all hang out together doing stupid shit. The acting is very poor and the script doesn't help, mainly because half of the jokes are based on them literally not understanding eachother. "What?", "What did you say?", "Say that again?", the viewer grows tired of that, especially if that happens ALL THE TIME! So I lost interest in 15 minutes, stuck around for another half hour, then I had a snack and when I realized after 1 hour that I did not miss the paused movie at all, well, than I quit. Sorry guys, I tried, I failed, now it's your turn! :-)
July 29, 2013
This movie seems like a vehicle for the main actor to show off his versaitility as an actor and it is successful at that but it also has a lot of fun asking deep philosophical questions about man and humanity. This film is worth a look.
May 3, 2013
A disturbing, strange, sometimes funny yet un satisfying dramady.
SarahTheMovieLover
January 3, 2013
This was honestly one of the most bizarre movies I have ever seen. That being said, I found myself quite captivated by Matt D'Elia. There were moments of true depth and intelligence in this movie, as well as some things that made me laugh. Although, on the whole, it was just really, really weird. And I don't know if it was a good weird or a bad weird. It's unique, that's for sure.

What did this movie teach me? Sometimes it's good just to do the things that make you happy, even if everyone will think you are crazy for doing so.
December 19, 2012
A very creative film with tons of cool shots and lines. Well written and acted. D'Elia has a bright future ahead of him.
August 5, 2012
Given that this movie, at its core, about the line between insanity and genius, its fitting that American Animal is both incredibly insane, and yet somehow quite genius.
July 24, 2012
An infantile masterpiece! Matt D' Elia creates a truly unique and twisted character that rivals such others like Tyler Durden. The whole film has the texture of a play, but was never produced to begin with as a play. It's an ORIGINAL piece of work and that's something you don't see. It's pretentious to a fault, but has such a demanding to be heard feel that once it starts you have to finish it.

Some would call it annoying, irritating to see a man play head games with his friends, but there's something more deep and troubling with the character of Jimmy as the film progresses. There's one moment of sheer brilliance that takes place where Jimmy launches into a full scale war in the form of a monologue explaining why his best friend James shouldn't have gotten a job. The dialogue and execution was amazingly well done! For a film that wasn't based as a play, it sure as hell felt like it.

Overall, if you enjoy seeing a man slip into the depths of his delusions you'll enjoy this strange character piece.
July 24, 2012
Smart, brilliant, amazingly dark! We all need to move to the beat of our own drum and this movie shows the underbelly of the dark side of life and the light side of death. Evolution is found deevolution.
July 11, 2012
An Infantile Masterpiece!
½ June 28, 2012
Very "quirky"--I hate that word but it pretty much describes this. Dialogue driven without much action taking place outside a small apartment, the characters are lively and definitely watchable.
June 9, 2012
Irritating and annoying. Highly pretentious and vastly pointless. A self-indulgent exercise. Stupid and altogether boring.
June 4, 2012
well homeboy, cast & crew made a movie-a real movie & they did so in a single location, with many nice touches here & there...80% is for putting "BEST ART FILM EVER!" on your show bill. The source of that praise is pretty weak.
A cocksure film, budget too small to have "pussies out" tho'.
get's caught up in the action of action, knows where the audience wants to be lead, what the crowd wants to see.
Very good tricks up the sleeve, suspending disbelief, creating new scenarios of flesh being torn from limb.
Standing up with a non hard cock interrupted having sex, inconsistent.
Music FUCKING EXCELLENT, make your balls tingle

good art too, for real, some of it tight as fuck!
May 18, 2012
If the trailer is so irritating you turn it off before it is over,you know it's bad.
May 16, 2012
American Animal was definitely a memorable film. When I began watching I did not know what to expect. The script was erratic and offbeat. Some scenes consisted of interactions composed of 5-word sentences. Other scenes consisted of soliloquy-like monologues. Some scenes were dry and sarcastic while others were dramatic and full of passion. But this compilation of randomness definitely worked. And random is what this movie is! The movie only takes place during a 24-hour period, yet the main character sports at least 10 different costumes, sometimes verging on extravagant. He does a great job of keeping the audience entertained.
What really struck me about this movie is that the director managed to keep the entire film fresh and not boring. Although it entirely takes place in one location, the set is versatile and flexible to the needs of the actors. The set is composed of bright colors and interesting props. Sometimes the array of action going on may seem overwhelming. However, it all comes together to create a solid meaning. The end of the film left me satisfied with a concrete purpose to the madness that went out throughout. It is a unique work of art, definitely worth seeing.
May 15, 2012
American Animal was a frantic and bizarre experience. It was initially almost too bizarre, even off-putting, but at the same time it made me want to keep watching just to see what happened next. At first Matt D'elia seems like a one-trick pony, oddball for the sake of oddball, but as the film progresses so does the depth of D'elia's character as he provides the methods to his madness.
The film has a very distinct atmosphere, and with only four characters and the single location of Jimmy and Jake's apartment complex, D'elia masters the space and it never feels contrived or claustrophobic. The apartment is functional, organic, and bursting with life - often simply due to the D'elia's possessed energy - and it creates a very believable and very unique space that distances itself from the "real world" that Jimmy wants nothing to do with. D'elia has created a unique and ferocious world that reeks of originality and never seems forced or un-real, and he does so without mercy or compromise.
Drug-fueled fantasies concocted by the mind of D'elia are somewhat reminiscent of Fear and Loathing, and the only two other characters, two girls named Angela and Angela, add an interesting dimension to the film. One of the girls is attracted to Jimmy in a Manson-family kind of way, seemingly entranced by his wild ways. The film has its humps, but once you're snared in the wild-world D'elia has created it's hard to look away, and its force is undeniable.
May 15, 2012
Have you ever wondered what life is all about? American Animal shoves this question into your face in a bizarre yet understandable fashion. The film shows us the lives of two friends, Jimmy and James, who have everything they could ever want due to money from their wealthy parents. Jimmy wants to stay in own secluded reality basking in physical pleasures, not having any connection with the outside world. He sees no reason to have a job or contribute to society and become part of that programmed machine. James on the other hand becomes fed up with their complacency and finds himself a job. James also likes to read books regularly and acts as the contrast to Jimmy. Anyone that watches American Animal will be forced to think about his or her own lives and contemplate the reasons behind why they do what they do.