American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince Reviews

July 21, 2015
Scorsese is a favorite of mine but this is a snoozer. Steven Prince tells stories that are semi-entertaining but you almost wish it was via a phone call or in person instead of on film.
February 3, 2015
Prince is interesting in the stories he tells from his travels, but film is relentlessly talk (basically an extended interview over drinks with friends).
½ July 25, 2014
A Completely Wired To-The-Nines Man Is Laughed At (But Not With, Mind You) By His "Friends" As He Recounts His Stupid Life Failures, Many Drug Related. A Train Wreck, It's Sad That Scorsese Utilises This Individuals Disastrous Dilemmas As Entertainment Fodder. An Early Take (40 Years Prior) On Endemol's TV-Shiw : Big Brother. Also Full Of Sad, Soulless, Game Show Drunks.
February 28, 2014
I am an ex recent long term GIRL FRIEND of Steven W Prince. He is not, was not gay. Him and I both have grown children. He did have a drug problem. That is why he left the film business and started a new life. He is alive and well. He left me for another WOMEN. I repeat, let the record state, Steven Prince avoided the draft by FAKING gay tendencies. I'm sorry he is NOT GAY.
½ February 23, 2014
I think with all his accomplishments in feature filmmaking, people sometimes forget or miss that Martin Scorsese is also a great documentarian. This one, made in 1978, is about Scorsese's friend Steven Prince, who is a great storyteller. I've always been a fan of a good storyteller, and this guy is quite good at weaving his tales of his childhood and his days as a drug addict and working for Neil Diamond, or his tale of giving a woman an adrenaline shot, a tale which inspired Tarantino and "Pulp Fiction". Quite interesting and funny.
November 22, 2013
Fascinating. Some people not only realise how great life is, but also have a fantastic way of relating it.
½ April 8, 2012
Steven Prince has wild, funny tales to tell, and his friend Martin Scorsese records them with a searching eye for poignant truth.
March 16, 2012
This man REALLY knows how to tell a story. And oh look, something else Tarantino has pinched and used as his own. Regardless, this is a very well made and interesting documentary on just an ordinary guy.
½ December 31, 2011
An entertaining and exciting documentary of the dangerous pass of Steven Prince, friend of Scorsese, ex-manager of Neil Diamond and ex-addict. American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince, is a rare piece of art, a cult work, that bring a little know character, but that inspire a lot of others filmmakers with him storys of his shocking life. Fresh.
February 15, 2010
A nice, loose portrait from Scorsese of one of his friends (also featured briefly in "Taxi Driver"). There isn't the depth of affection and sweetness that makes "Italianamerica" one of Scorsese's best films, but this is very similar stylistically--just Prince talking and telling stories about himself for an hour. He's an interesting character, an engaging personality, and some of his stories are amazing. The result isn't exactly profound, but it's a very good film, and a must for Scorsese completists.
½ November 30, 2009
Peripherally, American Boy is about Martin Scorsese and his crew populating sporadic bit role player and sometime music groupie Steven Prince's living room while he recounts various stories from his life. Centrally, I don't know what it's about. I think it's about Steven Prince, and how the stories he tells may or may not inform the person he apparently is when Scorsese and his crew show up at his place to film him. The reason I watched all 55 minutes is not because I wasn't able to justify turning off a film directed by one of American cinema's greatest living assets, but because these anecdotes are very engrossing. That, and that alone, is the appeal of this piece. You want to hear a guy tell a story? Look here.

The way I felt when I was watching American Boy was anticipatory, expectant of some sort of culmination. Well, the anecdotes are increasingly personal, more and more poignant and evidently felt by the titular teller. End of movie. What I think Scorsese's intention was, aside from being determined to stay busy, involved embracing the slightest, most minute and everyday thing. The charm of the film is that we always expect much more out of a film, even the subtle and slight ones. But think about how many themes and meanings are buried within some of the most fleeting shots of a given Scorsese feature. Think about how much he can say in such a short breath, both with his films and in person.

He wants nothing more from us than to look and listen here. That's all. This guy, not a celebrity or a scholar or a notorious figure, just a dude. What's the situation? He's having his friend Marty over and Marty brought some of his own friends, and they have a camera and sound stuff. Martin Scorsese understands very clearly, much clearer than a lot of modern filmmakers, that a movie is exactly what it shows you, nothing more and nothing less.
½ June 28, 2009
Its essentially a guy talking but its great talk from an interesting point of view and the director knows to stay out of it. More atmosphere than a documentary but is wonderful.
½ May 18, 2009
Film niezly. Dokument. Stad wzial sie pomysl na scene w Pulp Fiction (wbicie adrenaliny w serce pani Thurman po lekkim przedawkowaniu). Nie wiedzialam, kto to jest Steven Prince. Matko, jaki on ciekawy. A jak dobrze historie opowiada. I jakie on ma cienie wokol oczu...
A w historii Italian American poznajemy... rodzicow Martina Scorsese. Wow. I poznajemy historie, jak to ta rodzina trafila do wspanialej Ameryki. Mama niesamowita. Nie potrafi nie ruszac sie, chociazby przez 3 sekundy. Albo glowa, albo dlonie, oczy, nogi.. Cos musi byc w ruchu. To troche jak ja.
February 28, 2009
Maybe Scorsese's least-known picture, an hour-long interview with Steven Prince, friend of Scorsese's, ex-road manager to Neil Diamond, ex-heroin addict. Most famously he appeared as the gun salesman in Taxi Driver. The movie provides a curious companion piece with Italianamerican; together they tell us a lot about Scorsese's world and influences. Scorsese gets moments of sadness and introspection from him, but mostly the stories he tells are enough. One of his stories is about a girl he had to restart after she ODed by stabbing a needle of adrenaline into her heart; the story was lifted in its entirety by Tarantino in Pulp Fiction (Prince also appears in Waking Life, telling another story he tells here). He's a fascinating figure, and I'm glad that another documentary about him, all these years later, is forthcoming. This is up on youtube (it's almost impossible to get - for a reasonable price - anywhere else). Every Scorsese fan should check it out.
½ January 30, 2009
A peculiar documentary featuring Steven Prince telling Martin Scorsese his often hilarious experiences, a series of stumbles with drugs and law.
Recollections that include a Marihuana-Gorilla bit, Jack the Cop, a drug bust; the revival of a woman after an overdose, which was later taken by Quentin Tarantino for 'Pulp Fiction'; and another bit that was taken by Richard Linklater for 'Waking Life'
Guaranteed entertainment.
August 23, 2008
Same as Italianamerican - very good, rare. This is a bit more intriguing though, and probably his strongest work with a short film.
August 7, 2008
For an interview film quite interesting. But still questionable as entertaining.
½ March 24, 2008
Could have been a lot better.
January 20, 2008
I wish I knew how to get a copy of this!