American Bully (Anytown) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Bully (Anytown) Reviews

May 6, 2014
Not a terrible film, but not nearly the thought-provoking examination of society it seems intended to be.
March 5, 2014
While it does at times appear to be nothing more than a catharsis for xenophobes, it presents an interesting premise regarding the corruption of young minds, but ultimately fails to build upon that exploration.
January 22, 2013
Not quite sure why viewers are so taken back by this film. As a mid-westerner I was a bit offended at how I saw these small town kids portrayed but, sadly it was pretty accurate. The film is chilling to its core. The filmmaking is great and the actors seemed fully committed to the material. American Bully is a study of how a teens political and social views can easily by influenced and how these views can motivate a cruel and hateful thought process which can perpetuate a hate crime. This film was brave and well done contrary to other reviews. It's not "Schindler's List" but, it's a well done independent and I'm surprised that Hollywood hasn't supported it. This should have been a festival hit. Oh well, maybe next time.
August 14, 2012
I concur with Michael Karelis. The story was predictable, the characters were flat with no arc. I knew what was coming next and it was extremely disappointing, this is poor, very poor film making. It was torturous to get through but I did and was left with a very bad taste in my mouth. This could have been provocative and challenging to the viewer instead it was a complete waste. How this won awards is beyond me.
½ July 24, 2012
It's not really as profound or hard-hitting as I would've expected. It's dark and chilling in the thought that some fruit-nut, middle America teenagers probably DO think like this. In fact I have little doubt that they do. But the acting is pretty poor. The final moments where the lady reports on the events is a little unbelievable too. "Severe gunshot wounds"? I've never heard anyone say someone died from "severe gunshot wounds". Fatal, yes, but severe? What other kind of gunshot wounds are there?
½ July 20, 2012
I liked this movie. The teenage acters were very good. A very sad movie. The characters are actually personifications of different types of people in society. People that wont go to war but want to kill those that are different and the people that want to join the military but aren't looking to go in to shoot and kill people. it also shows how a persons mind can just take over, misfiring, and the brain starts computing that is killing thing is a mad rush.
July 15, 2012
Not too good. Shows racism heightened by what happened during 9-11. Morbid ending.
November 22, 2011
Apparently, shock value and hot button topics are all you need to get into festivals and win awards. This film is a discrace to the art of acting and the art of storytelling. I am almost disgusted enough to write to the directors of the festivals in which it received "awards" and demand an explanation. This could have been a thought provoking examination of intolerance and hatred. Instead it was a one-hour and thirty-minute waste of time.
½ November 22, 2011
September 20, 2011
This is probably one of the more disturbing things I've seen... and I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I had read the back. It's about a boy who takes the war against terrorism (after 9/11) into his own hands by pulling a "prank" on a boy at his school. I'm still not entirely sure what this movie is trying to prove but it was pretty horrible to see. And when it wasn't horrible, it was boring, which was an odd juxtaposition.