An American Crime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American Crime Reviews

November 13, 2016
uma história tão sombria e cheia de meandros quanto essa merecia ter sido infinitamente melhor tratada. sobretudo por ser baseada em fatos reais.
November 9, 2016
Excellent and very disturbing film.
July 31, 2016
Saw two versions of this horrific true story and started the book.
½ February 2, 2016
There are scenes in this movie that are very unsettling to watch, but despite the level of intensity of these scenes, there aren't enough of them. This is a movie about Gertrude when it should really be about Sylvia and the torture she suffered. People don't want to see this movie because of a weird half-romance between Catherine Keener and James Franco, they want to see it because they want to see events how they happened. This movie makes no mention of the scalding baths they forced Sylvia into, or making her eat her own crap, and little is shown of the daily beatings Sylvia suffered at the hands of Gertrude, her children and the neighborhood kids. this movie could have been one of the most incredible and disturbing movies this century. there are some great performances by Ellen Page and Catherine Keener, but the focus is in the wrong place, and as such, suffers because of it.
October 29, 2015
I give the situation and acting get the credit here but the overall film is just a brushover.
September 20, 2015
malísima, no vale la pena bajo ningún aspecto, inverosímil, una verdadera porqueria
½ March 16, 2015
Not the best movie ever, still Ellen's performance is really good.
February 26, 2015
A story about incredible cruelty. Not for the faint of heart.
½ February 13, 2015
Lifetime presents: An American Crime: The Sylvia Likens Story. (Or at the very least that's how it's presented. I'm sure there's a better movie to be made about this horrifying real life story, but you won't find it here. Good performances by Page and Keener though.)
August 16, 2014
April 26th 2010
August 15th 2014
August 13, 2014
Awesome movie & very sad movie! Probably one of the movies that unfortunately was based on a true story; that shed a lot of light on child abuse.
June 21, 2014
Huh, todellakin järkyttävä, tositapahtumiin perustuva elokuva lapseen kohdistuvasta väkivallasta ja kiduttamisesta...
June 21, 2014
I liked the cast and the look of the film, but it flopped for me. Too much abuse, made me queasy even if it was fake. I don't need to know what abuse an insane woman did to a child. Sorry I wasted my time.
June 17, 2014
Disturbing and well acted. I just donâ??t know why it was made. There was not much here plot wise. They cut a lot of the true horror of the situation
May 18, 2014
This movie upset me very much due to the brutality of it and that it was a true story.
April 30, 2014
Disgusting movie. Individuals making money off of the horrific death of this girl should be ashamed.
April 5, 2014
If anyone is naive enough to be against abortion or sterilization, watch this movie. Then again, if one is that ignorant nothing may shake the delusion.
This is the most horrific, fucked up, twisted movie I've ever seen. In other films and stories there are villains, but here the villains are everyone. It's so disgusting I had to pause for a couple hours, and watch much of the bottle scene without sound. The acting and sound is perfect. Think Jesus Camp + Hostel + 2 girls 1 cup. I suppose a movie will be made in forty years about the ordeal one woman went through in West Virginia.
February 25, 2014
Watch The Girl Next Door. It does more justice to the actual case.
February 19, 2014
goede film, maar wat een vreselijk verhaal. hier wordt mijn wereldbeeld niet beter van
February 2, 2014
Not nearly as harrowing as the story really is...a crime thriller made for Lifetime, basically. For once, I think the amazing Ellen Page was miscast in a lifeless role.