American Dreamer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Dreamer Reviews

June 29, 2016
I have watched this movie over and over again, it is one of my favourites. JoBeth Williams and Tom Conti worked beautifully together as did the rest of the cast. This light-hearted mystery comedy romance is definitely not meant to be taken seriously but to enjoy.
December 9, 2014
This is an 1984 movie and still receiving highly positive audience reviews. That in itself should say something. And the "professional Reviewers" gave it a rock bottom rarting. Check the ratings. If nothing else, it reflects the distance between the guys on the street (like me) and the movie pundits. Long live the guys on the street !
October 20, 2014
This is my all time favorite movie. Sweet and funny.
January 12, 2014
Resoundingly generic "Romancing the Stone" copycat.
December 7, 2012
I have watched this movie about 20 times. I love it. It's fantasy, but lots of fun!
September 25, 2012
This is one of my favorite "hidden gems" films that most people haven't seen.

I took my mother on a date to see this movie in the theaters. My mom simply laughed the entire movie. She was so taken with the film that when it eventually found its way on VHS (come on people, we're talking 1986 here) she held a "Rebecca Ryan" party at home and invited all her lady friends over to enjoy the movie with her!

The script is witty, the supporting cast is classic and there are some unexpected twists that will pleasantly surprise you!

This will be a difficult movie to find, but if you do -- ENJOY!!!
December 17, 2011
please let me see it
March 18, 2011
Great movie watch it over and over
February 7, 2011
Goofy, but I have to admit to liking this.
January 12, 2011
Saw this years ago and it was hysterically funny!
jjnxn
March 11, 2010
Charming caper film with JoBeth Williams obviously having fun and the wonderful Coral Browne in support.
December 26, 2009
This is a light-hearted, funny movie. I have enjoyed watching over and over. The cast works well together and it cannot be taken seriously.
½ April 14, 2009
There are a handful of scenes in this that will have you laughing out loud. And JoBeth Williams is so magnificent--shoot, I wonder why she's not in more movies? An excellent blend of mystery, suspense, and of course, comedy. :)
½ April 11, 2009
JoBeth Williams is a delight and very well cast. Entertaining film, nothing deep or significant but very enjoyable and fun to watch. The plot is clever.
½ March 29, 2009
Odd but interesting plot, though fails to hold interest at some points. The humor in is not as good as other films of its decade, but Williams does very well with the witty comedy. Overall a worthwhile watch.
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
November 30, 2008
I'm so happy this is finally out on dvd!
November 22, 2008
I admit to having a crush on Jobeth Williams...she's sexy and wacky here....
October 20, 2008
Thank God she didn't wake up thinking she was back in 1973, as a tough, hard-boiled detective in New York... ABC would be pissed!
September 2, 2008
story is a bit weak, and it is hard to believe. But you can stop asking questions and take the film for the nonsence it is and escape a crapy day, trust me her's is a lot worse