American Dreamer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Dreamer Reviews

September 2, 2008
story is a bit weak, and it is hard to believe. But you can stop asking questions and take the film for the nonsence it is and escape a crapy day, trust me her's is a lot worse
August 15, 2008
Yes it's very hokey but there's also something very magical about this film. It's a bit of fluff but oh so much fun.
July 25, 2008
I love this movie and quote it often. Chances are- if you know me- you have heard some great lines from it and never knew.
July 21, 2008
A strange little romantic comedy from the '80s where JoBeth Williams wins a writing contest to Paris, gets hit by a car and wakes up thinking she is the main character in the romance thriller novels she is a fan of.

Expecting a schlocky and silly misadventure on the streets of Paris, it actually turned out to be a fun little movie that takes the romance novel concept to a realistic level by exploring the concept of marriage and human nature.
½ July 15, 2008
This one was a family favorite... To this day, we still say "To.....Mom" (put a lot of thought into that one, huh...?) when we toast at get-togethers! We're nerds, I know. Because of this movie, growing up I wanted to speak 5 languages and be a spy! :)
June 24, 2008
This is one of my favorite "hidden gems" films that most people haven't seen.

I took my mother on a date to see this movie in the theaters. My mom simply laughed the entire movie. She was so taken with the film that when it eventually found its way on VHS (come on people, we're talking 1986 here) she held a "Rebecca Ryan" party at home and invited all her lady friends over to enjoy the movie with her!

The script is witty, the supporting cast is classic and there are some unexpected twists that will pleasantly surprise you!

This will be a difficult movie to find, but if you do -- ENJOY!!!
June 1, 2008
This is my favorite movie. Nobody's seen it unless I've sat them down to watch it. It's got everything! Romance, drama, suspense, mystery, comedy... LOVE IT. Call me if you wanna watch it with me. :)
May 13, 2008
This is a sweet romantic comedy.
April 7, 2008
Laugh until you can't breath movie
March 30, 2008
This remains one of my household's alltime favourite movies, one that we watch when we need cheering up, when we need to be in the company of an "old friend".

Mostly, American Dreamer, slipped by the public at large in 1984 but it discovered a life on cable and vhs and, thank heaven, recently on dvd.

It's a wonderfully adventurous romantic comedy with delightful performances (and characters!), witty writing (it's VERY FUNNY, the plots and twists and coincidences) and, hands down, bar none, the absolutely best fake out ending of all time. I was shocked and taken completely by surprise!

Worth Watching
½ March 24, 2008
Very cute adventure love story. I think the acting is good and I enjoyed the twists that the plot takes.
February 6, 2008
I love this movie! "I didn't want too, but the money was too good!!!" hahahaha
February 6, 2008
This is one of my favorite older romances. I love JoBeth Williams in it.
January 23, 2008
might possibly be good.
January 15, 2008
An awesomely radical movie, and who doesn't love JoBeth Williams?
December 10, 2007
I love this movie! I think it is so funny! The actors do such a good job with their characters, anyone who likes comedy would like this.
November 25, 2007
JoBeth Williams is nastay.
½ November 19, 2007
Very funny. My mom's favorite!
November 15, 2007
This is one that, like Princess Bride, I can watch over and over again. I can't understand why this has not become a cult classic because everyone I've shared this movie with has fallen in love with it.
November 14, 2007
Love it! My sister and I used to watch this just about every weekend. It's not "Cinema," but it's a great "Flick."