American Dreamz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Dreamz Reviews

November 3, 2015
Slightly amusing with some funny skits but certainly not worth watching twice or adding to your collection.
½ September 14, 2015
Cleaver,funny and intelligent......oh who am I kidding it's horrible.
September 6, 2015
Good enough , not hilarious
½ August 23, 2015
the only time I laughed was the final scene with the president on the show. Hugh Grant is solid but the film is such a dud, really needed someone with biting satire skills behind the lense. a genuine miss from everyone involved
July 15, 2015
I last watched this years ago. I could remember being disappointed in it, but not why.
Had a chance to re watch it recently. I do like Mandy Moore and the whole "American idol" take off angle seemed like it could be fun.
30 minutes in, and I remember what I didn't like.
All the political stuff and the terrorist bit... Just two story lines that don't go together, and it's just not funny enough.
I did keep watching. I guess there's something to it, but I could have been so much better than it was if they played up more on how the TV stations use the contestants and less on the other crappy stuff. There is enough serious movies about politics and terrorism without throwing it into this type of movie.
July 3, 2015
The screenplay goes everywhere but funny.
½ April 18, 2015
Great po;itcal satire and spoof on American Idol
½ December 1, 2014
There's good films, there's bad films, then 50 feet of crap. Then there's American Dreamz.
June 17, 2014
A dark look at an idol like show not a comedy or a drama it sort of implodes at the end
½ June 11, 2014
Just one word . " idiotic"
½ April 18, 2014
Despite its good premise "American Dreamz" isn't able to convince me as a satire on showbiz. While it could've been a biting comment on the falseness and unnecessarity of talent shows and other kinds of TV crap it comes across a bit lukewarm. Finally I don't regret seeing it, but I surely won't do again.
March 28, 2014
A caveat for the very beginning: If you want, in a movie, what passes for typical comedy these days, this movie is not for you. However, if you, like me, want a comedy movie that, much like the president Bush analog prominently featured in it, actually tries to think about what it's doing, this is a must watch. It satirically confronts more issues of the Bush administration era than I had previously thought it possible for a movie to do and still be legitimately funny. I've professed before (not to you people, this is my first ever review) that when I seek entertainment, it is because I want to escape my thoughts on the reality of life. This movie does not accomplish that, but it fills another, exceptionally important niche: It presents that reality in a fashion that makes it bearable, much more so than any grim action movie or drama of the era of 2014 could. Sometimes, we NEED a reminder that it is all right to laugh even as something makes us cry. We NEED more movies like American Dreamz.
February 12, 2014
President Staton (Dennis Quaid): Did you know there are two kinds of Iraqistanis?
[the First Lady holds up three fingers]
President Staton(Dennis Quaid): I mean, actually, three?
Chief of Staff (Willem Dafoe): You mean Sunnis and Shi'ites and Kurds?
President Staton(Dennis Quaid): You knew about this?

This was kind of stupid. I guess if I had watched when it was a bit more significant, I would easily find the irony funny-- like the president being closely patterened after George W. Bush, Willem Dafore's character's physical similarities to VP Dick Chaney, how the singing competition was obviously a spoof of American Idol with Hugh Grant's character loosely based on Simon Cowell. Hahaha....it is all pretty tongue and cheek and cutesy... had I seen it when it first came out in 2002.
January 26, 2014
A good movie to watch before you kill yourself.
½ December 30, 2013
Another comedy from director Paul Weitz who seems to have fun telling the story of this bad ass Tv broadcaster & the wannabe talents coming to his show. funny thing is the most wicked people aren't always the one you expected to be. Interesting.
½ November 27, 2013
This dud is all over the place, and very quickly failed to hold my attention. The "Z" in the title should have been a clue, as well as the presence of Moore. Hugh Grant is so much better than this tripe. Unfunny throughout.
July 29, 2013
this movie looks really funny and so realistic since it seems that way nowadays. i think i would enjoy this a lot.
July 9, 2013
One of those attempts by Hollywood to be 'smart' and funny at the same time, but it is just horrid. There is barely anything funny, and at the end of the day, one just wonders why did people spend millions of dollars on such junk like this? This is not smart, this is not funny, this is not satire - it is just a piece of crap. Surprised it had some decent actors in it...Only reason it gets a star, really.
June 10, 2013
isn't this something to do with that pop idol rubbish. The tv show is funny but gets very annoying. So this isn't gonna be good.
May 31, 2013
What a crock. You will never get this time back in your life - spend it doing something more valuable than watching this film.