American Gothic (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

An emergency plane landing strands three vacationing couples on an isolated island in the Pacific Northwest inhabited by a dangerous eccentric family. This horror film depicts the struggle of the marooned visitors to survive as members of their company begin to turn up dead.

Cast

Sarah Torgov
as Cynthia
Terry Kelly
as Psychiatrist
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for American Gothic

All Critics (4)

Even as exploitation schlock this is pretty bad.

January 21, 2004
Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)

Steiger, Pollard AND De Carlo? Yeah, okay, let's rent something else.

July 26, 2002
eFilmCritic.com

Audience Reviews for American Gothic

½

Slow burn type slasher movies better have a good story behind it and a good payoff.This movie is 0 for 2.

bill secor
bill secor

Interesting, but flawed psycho horror/ slasher film that is somewhat tongue in cheek. American Gothic is a different style of slasher film, and though it's not the best, it adds a certain twist to the genre. American Gothic is one of those films that you can't really take seriously. Director John Hough directs this unique Slasher and does a pretty good job. The acting is pretty good considering, however it's clear that the film could have been much better. I'm just saying that the film had the potential in being a terrific horror film, but it ends up being an average film that leaves you wanting a bit more. American Gothic is entertaining, and is pretty good, but in the end it leaves a lot to be desired. The problem with the film is that at times it goes overboard on its silliness and it becomes laughable. Still, I enjoyed the film, but I expected something really original with this Slasher film, and somehow I got that, but I just wish that the filmmakers could have delivered slightly better kills and toned down on the tongue in cheek material, only a little bit. Overall American Gothic is a good, different style of Slasher and it works. Though not perfect, the film is entertaining enough to appeal to horror fans. John Hough has made a good film that like I said, not perfect, but good. This is one of those films that is underrated and is worth checking out.

Alex roy
Alex roy

Canadians have done it again!!! With limited budget and actors, they produced an entertaining piece of work.

Sylvester Kuo
Sylvester Kuo

American Gothic Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss American Gothic on our Movie forum!

News & Features