American Graffiti - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Graffiti Reviews

March 14, 2015
An American Classic! And one of my all time favorite movies!
March 13, 2015
The soundtrack was the best part and the performances were fine, but I just couldn't relate to the nostalgic elements. Still, a breakthrough film for George Lucas, Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, and Harrison Ford.
March 1, 2015
"You just can't stay seventeen forever."

While American Graffiti may be too old for me to relate to, this look back at the 60's is funny, flashy, and all together heartfelt.
½ February 1, 2015
classic movie coming of ages
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:High 7/10

American Graffiti is a 70's film set in the 60's that is actually quite
a funny and also fun adventure. With some greats of cinema so young
acting in this and a script and direction done by a known name, this
turns out to be well not in my opinion as good as people sometimes say
it is, but nevertheless is good. I thought going into it that maybe it
would be dull and just another teen comedy than runs out of jokes on
the first corner but this is different and maybe being set in the 60's
helped it out a bit. I thought it was a solidly good movie, and here
below is why.

The story is one that takes a little time to get into it, at first I
felt it was never going to start properly and just like the cars, was
going to stall fast. It does however get into a nicer flow of things
and the comedy also in the middle and end of the movie really flows as
well, it genuinely is funny stuff and should make people laugh if only
just a little. I liked the ending too, I won't ruin it but you actually
are interested in the characters involved and kind of want to see the
thing they want, to happen.

Richard Dreyfuss is the real star actor in this and his character Curt
is funny, clumsy yet weirdly rational among all the crazy youths
hanging around. Ron Howard is in it, back in the day when he acted and
he does OK too, he doesn't seem to have that much screen time which is
good as it isn't just focusing on one person in the story. The entire
cast are pretty solid and watch out for a pre Star Wars and Indiana
Jones Harrison Ford who even in a pretty minor role, still acts really
well in it.

George Lucas is the mastermind behind it all, directing and co writing
it he does a good job with it all, the script is probably one of if not
the best thing about the film with some great word choices and dialogue
that kind of draws you in. I enjoyed the set production of the movie,
for anyone who lived in these times it could be a massive nostalgic
trip back in time, especially if you enjoyed cruising down main street
and whistling at every girl you saw.

When it comes to criticism, one point for me stands out for me, and
that is the music of the film. Now I am not hating on 60's music but
the songs are played way too loud and they all sound exactly the same
and so for the first half of the movie, I was just annoyed at the music
choices. Sometimes I felt it also dragged off just a little bit so that
is wasn't that great but it doesn't swerve off the cinema road badly at

Who to recommend this to?, well I think if I watched it back then I
would target youths but even now, the teenagers of today and college
students could still watch this and enjoy it all just as the kids of
the 70's did. If you enjoy them type of high school Comedy/Drama's then
this could really also be for your tastes, however it does feel
slightly different to usual ones seeing as it is set in the 60's, and
isn't actually all about taking drugs and meeting girls on the street
or at parties.

Overall I give this movie a high 7/10, it is Solidly a Good movie, some will
disagree and say it is great as I have seen many who do, but don't be
afraid to dislike parts of it or even not like the film as a whole. I
also will say that if you decide to watch this, try to be a bit chilled
out whilst doing so as the movie is fast yet slow at times and being
comfortable whilst watching it well, you may like the movie much more
if you do it that way.
½ January 25, 2015
"American Graffiti" is so deftly produced and written, I find it hard to believe George Lucas had anything to do with it.
½ January 14, 2015
Me gustó, se quedo un poco en el tiempo a mi gusto pero no deja de ser una buena película (aunque nada excepcional)
January 7, 2015
A final night on the town for a group of friends in small town America before heading off to college. Plenty of familiar faces here and I didn't even recognize Richard Dreyfuss until the ending credits. Works due to some pretty good character development.
January 6, 2015
This is a charming little film. Not quite an eternal masterpiece, but it has a special something. I particularly like the feeling of the era being portrayed here. The style of the 50s was quite something, and it feels authentic and perfectly immortalized by this movie. I don't think there was much about the overall story that I found super compelling. Nonetheless, this is a classic and worth watching once for me. I'm glad that I took the time.
December 13, 2014
When Coppola pushed Lucas, the result is an entreating film about pop culture. Many characters in the film but still settled. The art of editing and story telling is clear in this film. Character progression and changes, Dilemma for the characters, and question mark on which path is he choosing will take you till the end of the story,
November 20, 2014
American Graffiti is a bittersweet romp through the early 60s, but relies too heavily on nostalgia for its emotional impact.
November 16, 2014
Quite possibly the best teen movie ever made.
November 13, 2014
Is it wrong that this mostly just makes me want to watch 'Grease'?
½ October 28, 2014
I could never get into American Graffiti, and this last viewing was no different. It really feels dated and insignificant to me, even when taking the time period and nostalgia into consideration. It has some moments, but mostly it's full of sentimentality for a bygone era and strictly for the fans of the period.
October 24, 2014
George Lucas' nostalgic look at the early 1960s likely would have hit closer to home for me if I had grown up in that era. As it stands, a critical and commercial success with very good soundtrack that rings true largely to its credit. Cruising culture brings me back to late 1980s Port Huron Michigan, which I never fully understood or embraced.
½ October 24, 2014
American Graffiti is funny, very well representative of the 60s and it has strong characters, but the narration is pretty problematic - the constant shifting from one character to the other resembles more a TV show than a movie and it is much more tedious because of that. But it is otherwise a good film thanks to its incredible attention to detail that draws you beautifully into its period, wonderful ending and some very respectable issues are raised here regarding this period in life which is the toughest almost for everyone.
October 21, 2014
This movie really sucks. It would have been long-forgotten had it not be directed by Mr.-Star-Wars. The cinematography is over-dark, the acting is terrible, and the progression of events goes nowhere interesting. Don't bother. The Academy usually votes for crap, anyway.
September 28, 2014
Antes de "Star Wars", George Lucas realizó este clásico del cine, en el que las naves espaciales son reemplazadas por autos y radios de AM y los caballeros Jedi, por adolescentes que dan vueltas a la manzana en busca de la "fuerza" para conquistar a su princesa. Los adolescentes pueden cambiar en apariencia, pero en esencia siguen siendo lo mismo, personas desequilibradas en busca de su identidad.
September 26, 2014
The early 60s were boring.
September 25, 2014
I was expecting so much more.