An American Haunting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American Haunting Reviews

October 12, 2016
This movie is not scary whatsoever and is even laughable at certain parts. Don't waste your time watching this film.
October 12, 2016
An American Haunting falls short of greatness in more than one respect: ponderous story-telling, clichéd supernatural activity, and more, but by far the most glaring defect is the preposterously clichéd ending. In a nutshell, we sit through a couple of hours of early 19th century witchifying, only to be told in the end that the key to solving the whole problem is that all these back-woods frontier families really just need to find themselves a few a good therapists.
I mean, the director spends a couple hours trying to make us feel like the events are playing out in the year 1810, and then at the end we find out that the entire "haunting" was caused by, you guessed it, Pa having some serious "boundary issues" with his pretty young daughter. Could I be the only one who found this all more than slightly incongruous.
The film is supposedly based on the historical reports of the Bell Witch incident. If you read about the actual event there were no reports or even sugestions that whatever happened had anything to do with any kind of abuse. This is just a 21st century projection onto a 19th century tale, and it is a prime example of how Hollywood is almost entirely incapable of producing any kind of halfway convincing period piece. The writers, directors, and actors who inhabit the place appear to be uniformly convinced that at every period of history (from the American frontier to Medieval Europe to the court of Kublai Khan) that everyone at every point in history seemed to think and act exactly like contemporary people in Hollywood.
Watching the ending of this movie is one step removed from viewing an entire production of Richard III, only to be told in the final scene that Shakespeare's evil King was the way he was because his father had never spent any quality time with him as a child, or to be told in the middle of Great Expectations that the reason Estella treated Pip so badly was because her parents messy divorce caused her to have self-esteem issues culminating in general meanness and a severe case of bulimia, or perhaps that the real reason Huck Finn left home to float down the Mississippi was that his step-father was a verbally abusive meth-head who refused to let him listen to his music.
½ March 2, 2016
Absolutely awful. This film must have been made on a low budget. If it was made in the 80's I wouldn't be giving it such a slashing. It just wasn't believable at all and the cast looked as though they were wearing the costumes on a "wear something old day". I really wasn't convinced that it was set in The early 1800s.
½ February 27, 2016
strangely weird to me for some reason lol
October 8, 2015
If there is an interesting story to be told here, it is lost amid the incessant noise.
August 23, 2015
Better movie than the critics think but there's more atmosphere than scares in this ghost story.
½ June 3, 2015
The Bell Witch haunting is one of the most famous haunted house cases in the world, and it just HAD to be adapted into An American Haunting, one of the dumbest horror flicks in the world with one of the dumbest "twist" endings imaginable. This disappoints me and I wish that in the near future another director will make a better movie of the tale.
May 17, 2015
Doesn't even come close to becoming scary or creepy, but is rather annoying and a chiche-filled "ghost" story.
½ April 10, 2015
What's not to like? By far better than most of the heaping pile we're served under the genre heading of horror these days. The clues as to what is causing these hauntings are cleverly presented. The trick is catching them or just enjoy how everything weaves together.
March 31, 2015
An American Haunting is a disappointing film. It is about the true events of the only case in US History where a spirit caused the death of a man. Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Courtney Solomon did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
March 12, 2015
The story is very interesting and had great potential but unfortunately was poorly directed. The supernatural elements were unattached to the rape story which caused the ending to seem baffling. Although the performances were good, the failure of the film was inevitable.
March 12, 2015
It is absolutely ludacris that this movie is inspired by true events. It's incoherent sequences and mediocre performances mark as evidence that's it's nothing more than a terrible ghost story. In fact, there was never a ghost either so it's just plain bad.
½ March 9, 2015
took way to long to deliver. loved the actress but other than that the movie was a bust. when the "big suprise" dropped you already knew what it was going to be. terrible.
February 8, 2015
The modern era bits were superfluous and added nothing. The movie was also very sluggish.
½ January 17, 2015
Great cast, awful film.
½ November 18, 2014
An incredibly boring and stupid film that still makes no sense by the end, I almost fell asleep a couple times. Take a pass on it.
October 14, 2014
The subject sucks. The graphics are ok.
September 21, 2014
American Haunting is a PG-13 mixture of Stir of Echos and The Excorcism of Emily Rose based in the 1800s. Not all that frightening but the story-line is somewhat original and entertaining.
½ September 6, 2014
Potentially captivating horror film but it failed to impress me, mainly because of its many plot holes.
August 30, 2014
Bad movie. This film is neither scary nor creepy. The visual effects are quite bad, the film's style quite flawed, and the pacing incredibly slow. While the performances are pretty good, the movie is just too boring and uninvolving to be good.