An American Haunting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American Haunting Reviews

½ July 19, 2014
What else can I say other than it was just an idiotic, boring, awful movie.
July 17, 2014
Beautifully shot, acted, and plotted... but horribly dull. This did not delivered any scares whatsoever. As a horror movie, this failed.
June 20, 2014
Clichéd horror film that had the potential of a truly great experience, An American Haunting is one of those films that looks very promising, but fails to deliver on a truly great idea. What we have here is a bunch of bland, mindless predictable jump scares mixed with poor performances. This is one movie that really should have been a wonderful horror film, but it fails due to the fact that its ideas presented on-screen are things that we've seen many times before in other, better genre films. Here we have a good cast wasted on a poor script, and it's a shame because An American Haunting is a very good looking movie, but there is simply no substance to back up the nice atmosphere and tone. What we have here in terms of a horror film is a big disappointment and it just doesn't have enough going for it to make a good movie, the film lacks in genuine chills and thrills and like I said just recycled ideas that we've seen with no care on creating a truly tense, riveting horror film that is engaging from start to finish. The tone of the film is quite ridiculous and if you want a great horror film, you won't find it here. This awful to mediocre horror and it is a movie that fails to really grab your attention the way a film in this genre should. Don't go into this one expecting great things from it, it's a film that just doesn't have anything going for it, and despite the casting of Donald Sutherland, it simply doesn't have any memorable moments of sheer horror, and the film ends up being a lazy affair that is a missed opportunity to make something really stand out.
June 17, 2014
Entreating supposed true story has fine performances especially by even h. wood who should be a star
½ June 10, 2014
This film fails in delivering any real scares or rationality that by the time it starts becoming interesting it comes to an abrupt end, leaving the viewer confused and unsatisfied.
½ April 12, 2014
This film had a good concept but was so poorly made. There wasn't a moment I was slightly scared or anything. Its the kind of film I would watch to fall asleep. Quite disappointing. PS, when you make a period film that takes place in 1818, there will not be photos of those people.
March 27, 2014
Not ever reaching any horror heights, or any real scares at all, the decent plot is let down by the fact that this ghost story seems more like an episode of Law and Order SVU set in the 1800s. The amazing cast seems to not be trying and turn in subpar performances that plunge a below average script into the depths of forgotten horror films.
March 16, 2014
Great movie . I wish the horror movies today were more like this. This movie is not that old but it has everything a scary movie should have. I recommended this movie
February 24, 2014
So-so. I was not impressed at all, then the ending redeemed it a bit. But it sure was a tough ending.
February 6, 2014
am going to see it,looks very good and scary.which i like.
½ January 2, 2014
a promising story with an epic let down that there was no ghost, just the literal "Part of me is dead inside so now it's a ghost" story because the main character is raping his daughters (I spoiled the film so you won't have to sit through're welcome.)
November 4, 2013
this is an awesome twisted 'ghost' movie
½ September 27, 2013
Painfully boring movie. Tried watching this with my teen daughter & we both found it boring, slow & predictable. We turned it off 2/3 through & I wish we had done so sooner. I kept waiting for it to get better. Trust me, it doesn't.
½ September 17, 2013
Nothing scary in this movie.
August 29, 2013
Other than some decent camera shots and 2spooky jump scares... this film has nothing going for it. Get ready to snooze.
August 14, 2013
Nothing about this movie is remotely scary, just dull and boring. Stay far away from this snooze-fest.
½ July 9, 2013
Cliched and boring, not scary or original.
June 29, 2013
This is one of those movies designed for you to watch twice. But you never wish you saw once.
½ June 2, 2013
May 27, 2013
hmm i think i've seen this before -- although obviously i didn't remember much about it because i was confused as all get out when it ended. there's definitely a twist at the end, but it's not the type of twist that lets you walk away happy you watched this movie. i can see where all the bad reviews come in, yet i can also see why this is a really good film too. you can't go into this movie full "scary movie" mode and be satisfied with the ending. i'm actually not too sure what i think about it yet either. sadly i think i would have to agree with the majority of the population and say i liked it all up until the ending when you find out what's really going on... but all in all it's not a bad flick.