American Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Heart Reviews

November 6, 2010
A film about ex-con Jack; alongside his bleak and almost unknown son, Nick, trying to get along with each other, and living together. The two gradually develop a bond with each other, though their relationship together may be distant for a lot of the time.
I thought this movie was pretty good. Very gritty, decent, and very interesting. Great setting, and an overall solid film. The Tom Waits soundtrack at times, was awesome as well.
½ September 22, 2010
Jeff Bridges and Edward Furlong deliver fine performances in this gritty, yet relatively standard father-son tale. The genuine Seattle setting lends a dramatic texture to the film that makes its edge more dynamic. However, it likely pales in comparison with the documentary "Streetwise," of which this film is a dramatization.
½ March 12, 2010
You could say that until he won the Academy Award this week, Jeff Bridges was one of the most under-rated actors we have. I have to agree with the 'facebook movies' review, where they also say that this is one of his most overlooked performances. The man is a master of his craft, and this movie is one of the best ways to tell that. Bridges is truly awesome in this role. Besides him, it's an overall excellent film, though, and touching.
January 25, 2010
Grim and gritty drama set on the mean streets of Seattle follows Jeff Bridges as a recently released con trying to make good, and Edward Furlong, fresh from Terminator 2, as his impressionable young son. Bridges and Furlong have great chemistry together, and while the material is rather cliched, the performances raise it above the ordinary tv-movie fare.
October 24, 2009
This movie was alright
October 21, 2009
Features some really good music by Tom Waits.
½ October 7, 2009
*** (out of our)

Character study about an ex-convict in Seattle reconnecting with his son. The harsh realities of finding a job and obtaining enough money to live is realized as they live in a rundown hotel for those with no income. Well acted and believable.
January 27, 2009
Story develops a little slow, great performance by Jeff Bridges, definitely shows Seattle.
January 27, 2009
jeff bridges is so sexy :)
January 18, 2009
Jeff Bridges is terrific as the struggling single father. Bridges seems so real on screen like he's not even acting. Ed Furlong was good as well. Nothing amazing as far as the story goes but the acting was enough to keep me watching.
½ January 10, 2009
I like this movie....don't know why:)
January 4, 2009
well acted good stuff
October 9, 2008
Excellent indie film! The acting and characters seem very real. After seeing American History X and now this, Edward Furlong is one of my new favorite actors.
½ September 23, 2008
the slight danger of this being watered down from the original documentary it's based on, Streetwise (also by Martin Bell), is circumvented by the strength and honesty in the filmmaking and especially Bridges's performance which is top 5 tier work for me (which is saying alot, he's one of my personal favorites).
September 21, 2008
An independat film about a boy who wants to be closer to his dad, but his father has just come out of jail and can hardly look after himself, let alone his son.
It is moving, funny and charismatic, and theres a certain charm about it.
Although quite long and menotinous at some points, it is generally a gripping drama.
Edward Furlong plays a similar character to John Connor, an independant street kid. Jeff Bridges also delivers a fantastic performance. Although slightly melodramatic in some parts, and a little cliché, this film is really quite thought-provoking :)
½ September 21, 2008
American Heart is a real life drama more so then film about the ups and downs of a father and son relationship. One thing this film does well, is show the strains of being a Dad and the inevitable fact that you have to let your own dreams slide in order to help your children. "Jack (Jeff Bridges) has just recently been let out of prison, and his son Nick (Edward Furlong) tries to re-kindle a relationship with him. Jack can barely look after himself, let alone his fourteen year old son - and after things go wrong, Nick begins to start a 'family' with a group of runaway kids/hustlers."

The film starts off extremely slow, and sometimes the shots can seem to last forever. The dialogue seems to take ages to kick in, and only during the middle of the movie does what they're saying start to have an effect on you. However, towards the end, it gets a hundred times better. Everything makes sense and flows beautifully. Also, emotions really run high at the end as so many shocking and devestating things happen that really make this film a drama more then a movie. This film is probably worth about four stars because of the obvious effort behind it all. The overall story is really powerful, but put onto screen it doesn't have the 'punch' that maybe it should have.

As i mentioned before Jeff Bridges may be the American film actor with the most unseen great perfomances. He really is brilliant in this film, and portrays the 'unworthy father role' brilliantly. Edward Furlong is also very good considering his age. He has the perfect eyes for this role as he always looks very troubled - Nicks signiture feature. This is a very powerful film that will leave you with mixed emotions. Brilliant.
July 22, 2008
This is my favorite movie of all time it makes me cry every time this is my kind of movie!
July 18, 2008
Very good. Very sad. Edward Furlong was great in this movie.
May 17, 2008
Not realy a high or low point but I loved it anyway for the acting and dialogue.
½ February 7, 2008
Jeff Bridges is one of the most underrated actors around!