An American in China - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American in China Reviews

April 12, 2012
Very Natural. Highly recommended if U want to know Chinese Culture in a movie
November 3, 2011
Tame story employing both culture clash and coming of age themes.
½ June 1, 2011
Kind of silly, occasionally funny, with some bad, over-acting at times. David was a pretty unconvincing drunk. I can't imagine parents sending someone like him--alone-- overseas to save the family business, an extremely important task. Mei was cute but her English was hard to understand at times. The fact that there wasn't a subtitles option on this didn't help the matter. At least it has a gorgeous setting. There aren't too many American movies set in China (as much as I love them, the Rush Hour series doesn't count.)
March 26, 2011
An actually nice movie that i first thought would be aimless and no point to it however i was surprisingly wrong in a happy way. It really shows East West unity and how things although may get lost in translation but they learn to communicate and understand each other :)
½ October 27, 2010
This was most definitely a low budget independent flick but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Worth the couple hours for sure.
August 24, 2010
Just terrible. The story had such promise: a bored twenty-something goes to China to learn the family business and falls in love and grows up in the process. The chinese backdrop for the movie is beautiful.

The acting is so bad it's barely tolerable and I'm referring directly to the English-speaking cast. Worth only a rental and only if horrible acting doesn't bother you.
½ August 22, 2010
Very accurate look at someone travelling alone in a foreign country where English is not widely spoken! It was a bit drawn out but kind of cute.
April 8, 2010
Simple story of an American man who finds that he is being sent to China on a family business. Adjusting to the Chinese culture he finds romance and life's decision. Cute movie.
November 25, 2009
An American in China (2008) Twenty-two year old David Braddock is floundering - stuck in that lazy period between college and "what am I going to do with the rest of my life?" Even David's best friend, Sha is concerned with David's aimless attitude. When David's parents pressure him to either choose a career path or join the family business, he decides to follow his father's urging to "Go East Young Man." Once in China, he finds that it is much different from what he imagined: full of bustling modern cities as well as charming little villages. He travels to a town that the modern world hasn't yet altered and meets Mei: a beautiful, ambitious young girl who works two jobs in order to save enough money to follow her dream of going to the prestigious Beijing University. Despite their differences, a romance blossoms during the few short weeks that David is with Mei. As Romance is thrown into the mix David begins to find himself falling for the beautiful, intelligent, and hardworking Mei. Played by a winningly earnest Sun Fei Fei, it's Mei, a factory employee who is trying to fulfill her dream to attend Beijing University while balancing her own ambitions with her loyalty to her loving family, who helps David to realize that there is quite a difference between simply being a dreamer and trying to achieve a dream. Producer Wenxin (Maggie) Yuan made a travel film that takes the audience on a trip to present-day China, and not only give them a pseudo-vacation, but also show them that even though there are many differences between our countries and cultures, there are many shared dreams and desires between the two cultures. This coming of age story is a journey to another country, shows a world in China that that can be similar to our own. Politics, cultural differences and distances cannot change the fact that we all share the same common humanity and the same basic desire: to love and be loved. The first half of this movie is just barely fair and bored me. The film got much better in the 2nd half as the setting moved to China. Its and ok film nothing to write home about. I would have skipped it had I known that beforehand. Thankfully the film is a short 88 minutes or it would have bored me even more. 2 or 3 stars.
November 25, 2009
An American in China (2008) Twenty-two year old David Braddock is floundering - stuck in that lazy period between college and "what am I going to do with the rest of my life?" Even David's best friend, Sha is concerned with David's aimless attitude. When David's parents pressure him to either choose a career path or join the family business, he decides to follow his father's urging to "Go East Young Man."? Once in China, he finds that it is much different from what he imagined: full of bustling modern cities as well as charming little villages. He travels to a town that the modern world hasn't yet altered and meets Mei: a beautiful, ambitious young girl who works two jobs in order to save enough money to follow her dream of going to the prestigious Beijing University. Despite their differences, a romance blossoms during the few short weeks that David is with Mei. As Romance is thrown into the mix David begins to find himself falling for the beautiful, intelligent, and hardworking Mei. Played by a winningly earnest Sun Fei Fei, it's Mei, a factory employee who is trying to fulfill her dream to attend Beijing University while balancing her own ambitions with her loyalty to her loving family, who helps David to realize that there is quite a difference between simply being a dreamer and trying to achieve a dream. Producer Wenxin (Maggie) Yuan made a travel film that takes the audience on a trip to present-day China, and not only give them a pseudo-vacation, but also show them that even though there are many differences between our countries and cultures, there are many shared dreams and desires between the two cultures. This coming of age story is a journey to another country, shows a world in China that that can be similar to our own. Politics, cultural differences and distances cannot change the fact that we all share the same common humanity and the same basic desire: to love and be loved. The first half of this movie is just barely fair and bored me. The film got much better in the 2nd half as the setting moved to China. Its and ok film nothing to write home about. I would have skipped it had I known that beforehand. I am glad this movie is a short 88 minutes or it would have bored me even more. 2 or 3 stars.
November 23, 2009
I would say that this was a pretty good "coming of age" movie to watch. It did start out quite slow, but it did have a charm that will catch you if you pay attention. Overall this was a really solid movie and was a good one in the "culture clash" stories.