American Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Me Reviews

½ May 15, 2018
real talk amazing movie
½ May 1, 2016
American Me is an interesting story about an underprivileged man with limited options of how to spend his life. Although it is slow at times, it is full of drama and emotion as the main character develops through the plot. I found certain parts difficult to follow but was interested the entire way through. I recommend this movie to anyone interested in action or prison and cholo culture.
February 5, 2016
As dark and powerful as any film I've seen.
July 1, 2015
Edward James Olmos directed and stars in this tale of gang life in east los Angeles, following 3 friends from juvenile hall to Folsom prison
½ May 30, 2015
Little known gangster film about arguably California's most influential gang. Can see why it's little known as it's a little boring
½ April 6, 2015
Well done crime drama as Olmos gives one of his best performances.
March 25, 2015
Although there's a stumble on a believable performance from the supporting cast and transitions, the film is an intimidating and pulse-pounding force of truth. American Me's hard-hitting exploitation and direction/production/performance from Olmos carries the film as an ominous and exceptional reality check. 4/5
March 22, 2015
I seen this movie and it ranks up with scarface and godfather Olmos outstanding performance.
December 29, 2014
Excellent movie. American Me feels more like a documentary than just a movie, as what we're watching feels real. It's smart, disturbing, well-written, and has incredible performances from its cast, as well as fantastic direction from Olmos.
December 20, 2014
is a really good movie
November 5, 2014
this movie is the best of all the movies that I have seen before I like it a lot I'll give it five stars
September 28, 2014
"American Me" es una película sobre prisiones (reales y del alma) dirigida y protagonizada con una energía cruda y directa por Edward James Olmos y con fuertes escenas que nunca olvidarán. Es una lástima que al final trate de sobre-explicar lo que ya estaba dicho.
September 28, 2014
July 9, 2014
great movie although it caused a few killings in real life due to the director,writer putting in false details about the rape scene at the beginning of movie
½ March 11, 2014
American Me is uncomprimising, realistic, violent and powerfully written. This is definitely one of the best gangster films I've ever seen and would highly recommend it to any fans of the genre. It's Mexican-American aspect brims brightly and puts the viewer into the lives of the characters and their culture with such ease. The character development of Santana is flawless and to make things even better the movie also develops his parents. With great pacing, well written and developed characters, terrific performances, a great soundtrack and an ending wrapped up well, American Me is a true underrated gem.
March 1, 2014
American Me is an honest, brutal film that brings the reality of the California Prison Gangs to your living room! Olmos doesn't hide behind the camera he takes on the real life icon and does so superbly-I know cause I lived it for over 20 years!
January 30, 2014
For some reason I've always liked Blood In Blood Out which was loosely based on the true story this was based. Both are the story of how the most powerful prison gang took power. The Mexican Mafia organized prison and street crime the way the Sicilian Mafia organized crime in America. Edward James Olmos directs and stars as one of the most influential members of La Eme. This one always felt incomplete, like they skipped over some stuff. Then again, that's what books are for. The movie EJO into some hot water with La Eme particularly with La Eme's use of homosexual rape as to torture an enemy, which is considered extremely dishonorable. Also, they took exception with protagonist's ultimate fate. I'll save saying for those who haven't seen it, because you damn well should.
½ January 15, 2014
I enjoyed it up until the last act then it just got confusing...I might watch it again.
½ December 6, 2013
It's a Mexican - American History X, sort of... but in a good way...
½ November 24, 2013
Great movie Holmes! entiendes Mendez!