American Perfekt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Perfekt Reviews

March 8, 2015
A strange independent thriller in which drifter Robert Forster travels the Midwest making all his decisions by the toss of a coin.
The plot owes a little gratitude to Luke Reinhardt's cult novel The Dice Man, and though this film is nowhere near as clever as that piece of fiction, it is still reasonably entertaining, with decent performances.
September 19, 2011
This was one of those crime thrillers that came along in the wake of Quentin Tarantino's emergence and tried to emulate his style for 'cool' violence. The only thing this has in common with Q.T. though, is Pulp Fiction's Amanda Plummer and Jackie Brown's Robert Forster in the cast. The rest pales in comparison, and frankly, I don't see much of a resemblance.
A young woman (Faruza Balk) travelling through the desert on her way to meet her sister (Plummer) crosses paths with a psychotic physician (Forster) who decides his actions on the flip of a coin.
When I seen this years ago, I was thoroughly entertained and thought it was a highly original and exciting film. On second viewing, it doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny. The originality I thought it once had is basically taken from novelist Luke Reinhart's "The Dice Man". What is an intriguing premise is played out with such a lack of urgency that it becomes very tedious, very quickly. It picks up when Fairuza Balk arrives in town though and Forster's psycho pychologist begins to reveal himself. However, he's still a little tepid and despite a decent performance, he's not nearly menacing enough. There are a few things worthy of admiration but it's the pacing that's all wrong, letting down a decent cast and missing an opportunity for genuine thrills.
A half baked psychological thriller that aims high but ultimately falls hard from it's intended target.
March 10, 2009
Wants to get by on quirkiness and so-called charm alone, and it just doesn't work.
January 14, 2009
Fun killer-thriller with strong performance from Robert Forrester, which will make you wonder why he doesn't appear in more movies, particularly when this sort of film is made approx every ten seconds. Rarely does Paul Sorvino seem this engaged.
September 6, 2008
Pretty decent thriller which also happens to feature full-frontal nudity from Robert Forster!
August 28, 2008
Not bad. About a crazed killer and Fairuza Balk.
½ May 17, 2008
I'll flip you for it...
January 27, 2008
bahahahhaha everyone should see this. one of the best worst movies ever made. but seriously, no country for old men totally stole the coin flip idea from this.
December 10, 2007
Strong performances by Robert Forster and indie-goddess Fairuza Balk (not to mention supporting actors Amanda Plummer & Paul Sorvino) anchor this well structured little film. Recommended to those who enjoy Tarantino-esque films.
½ November 14, 2007
most underrated. brilliant perfomances by a great eclectic cast. Forster is amazing. seek this out as a great example of mid 90s cult movie making.
September 17, 2007
Saw this on TV the other night and really enjoyed it. Can't believe it got such a panning from people & went 'straight to DVD'. A clever story which keeps you guessing through the first half. OK, so the ending was a little inconclusive but, on the whole I thought it was a entertaining movie for those of us not easily shocked.
½ September 16, 2007
There are better road movie thrillers about, but this one is certainly worth watching as well. The plot is good but the acting is better.
July 15, 2007
For the most part if you read a review of this movie, most people will say it's a train wreck. Sadly even though I hold a strong love for Fairuza Balk I have to somewhat agree with them. Now I actually liked the acting, and some of the angles they were going for in the movie, but the overall plot was insanely disorganized. Every second you try to piece together what is going on, it goes in a whole new direction. I liked Fairuza's character in this one she plays the screwed up sister of Amanda Plummer (Pulp Fiction). I always enjoy her work, and Robert Foster put together a great performance. Now with all that said I still came out liking the movie at the end. It was just off the wall, but at the same time had some real good parts to it. I dont even know if I would have liked the movie any more if the plot was better. That actually might be the reason I liked it. Anyway, It is hard to recommend this movie, just because I like weird shit. So if you are into weird ass movies, and Fairuza Balk like myself you'll like this movie. Otherwise I'd suggest to stay clear.
July 8, 2007
Good or bad, I'll watch anything Robert Forster is in. This one definitely resides in the good if not GREAT category. It's simply a well made low budget mystery film with great violence. The moment that comes to mind is the great shovel smack to Forsters nose. Geoffrey Lewis(!!!) also shows up as the stuttering hotel owner. The only shitty thing is Fairuza Balk's ridiculous drifter character. But really, how can you expect much from a woman named Fairuza?
½ June 24, 2007
plot faltered and i just plain didn't like it.
June 7, 2007
haven't finished it yet, but so far really interesting. the plot has really cool twist and turns though slow at times i am enjoying this movie thoroughly.
½ October 28, 2006
This went straight to DVD in the US, which is not a good sign, but it's a very decent, if odd, Tarantino-esque film with some great performances by Fairuza Balk and Robert Forster. Worth a look...
½ December 20, 2004
Best in Show: Amanda Plummer
One for the future: David Thewlis
Stand-out scene: Barn toss-up
Brainer or no-brainer: Brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: Repeated
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

I really enjoyed this off-beat indie road movie written and directed by a Brit, Paul Chart. It took him 8 years to make his next film, which is a little perplexing. Sandra (Amanda Plummer) is travelling to her parents' house along a dusty, sun-baked American highway when she is seemingly forced off the road. A fellow motorist comes to her aid, the smartly-dressed Jake (Robert Forster from Jackie Brown) who announces himself to be a doctor. He appears to be temperate and sane, but it soon emerges that he's making his decisions at the flip of a coin and the choices he's making aren't between things like tea or coffee but whether the people he meets live or die. One of this movie's great features is that for most of its running time you don't know what's going to happen next or whether certain characters are in collusion with each other. Sandra's sister (Fairuza Balk), who is due to meet up with her at a motel, figures in the latter part of the movie and as the story unravels for us viewers, so the penny drops for the main players. The open-ended conclusion, which in some films is just plain annoying, here invited the viewer to ponder the possibilities of the given situation, which added to my enjoyment of it. Not quite perfekt but getting there.
October 16, 2004
When it started I just knew two things: it?d be a bad movie and it was made by an English guy. Well, I was right. It?s one of the worst movies I?ve ever seen. The title tells you a lot about how pretensions the whole thing is but is not all. The film is pompous and pointless with a dialogue that will make you laugh you head off.
Just go and get the originals: anything written by Tarantino will do.

:down: [COLOR=Red]