Reviews

• Nov 12, 2020

Truly a cinematic masterpiece. I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. Everything from the casting to the editing *shefs kiss* you couldn't have made a better movie. This is definitely taking place as my top 1 favorite movie. I only give it 4.5 stars because it's not long enough, I'd watch it even if it were 3 hours long.

• Jun 16, 2020

Brilliant masterpiece of a film. This movie is highly disturbing, and gives me the heebie jeebies. Donna Spangler's performance throughout the entire film, is terrific. Jakob Renken proves that he is a man of many talents, adding acting to the long list that includes rapping and barbecuing (Alrighty guys, burgers and hot dogs areeee ready - Jakob Renken 2015). This movie is an 11/10 and gets a big thumbs up from respected movie critic, Jed Timage.

• Nov 01, 2019

Some bad movies can be fun to watch. This wasn't one of those. Even the jump scares were filmed in a way that made them not scary. I expected bad acting and there was no shortage of that.

• Oct 27, 2019

THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN, I recommend It 10/10, a serious movie for serious people, only a real movie person will understand it. The jump scares really made me wet the bed, the special effects are amazing and the background story of this poltergeist wanting to kill this young teen is reallllyyyyy GOOD HAH. 10/10 this cost 35million

• Oct 22, 2019

The term "aggressively bad" gets tossed around a lot these days. I can honestly say, in American Poltergeist's case, that "aggressively bad" isn't aggressive enough. The dialogue is so terrible that I actually cringed. (As they're walking up to the house for the first time, one of the female characters intones: "I'm having... second thoughts.") The acting is so bad that every scene feels like the actors are trying to out-terrible one another. The cast is comprised entirely of LA-type stick figure people. Despite being set in Massachusetts, the location looks nothing like the Northeast and there isn't a New England accent to be heard--even from the local cop, an archetype that is normally always paired with a Boston accent, even when it's not warranted. The plot stumbles around for about an hour before taking a sharp turn into a bizarre climax that is more outlandish than terrifying. Worst of all, the movie shows a complete lack of the sort of touching self-awareness that can--and has--picked many an otherwise average horror film off the floor. I am confident that this will be the worst horror movie of the 2010's.

• Oct 01, 2019

Terrible acting! Terrible effects and makeup.

Terrible acting! Terrible effects and makeup.

• Sep 17, 2019

Obnoxiously thin white college kids move into an "eccentric" stranger's old house and are haunted by the stares of a moldy mannequin and cheesy whooshing noises. The dialogue is terrible. The acting is terrible. The plot is terrible. The camera-work is shoddy at best. It honestly feels more like a high school project movie. American Poltergeist is predictable, a standard haunted house story where something bad happened a century ago, and now it's repeating itself. The jump-scares weren't even scary. You really only know you're supposed to be scared because the violin screech tells you. The scariest thing about this movie is that I spent 93 minutes watching it.

• Aug 14, 2019

Literally the worst film I have ever seen. There no redeeming factors at all. Please, don't punish yourself. Do not watch this

• Jul 20, 2019

I want my 1 h and 18 minutes back.

I want my 1 h and 18 minutes back.

• Apr 13, 2019

This ... is on Netflix?! I've seen some terrible films, but this one takes the cake. The acting is horrible, the camera work is horrible, the sound is horrible, the special effects are horrible, the make-up is horrible. I've seen older amateur adult films that are more professional and convincing. I could deal with the horrible acting and the lack of quality if there had something of a good or even coherent story. Badly stolen ideas that are barely worked into a story that is making no sense whatsoever. â¨Whoever wrote this script should seriously deliberate on their choice of profession and at the very least take a beginners course in writing. Poorly applied tropes, overacting, rattling doors and windows .... the lady of the house is in her upstairs bedroom when the doorbell rings and her response is ... come in. â¦. One of the girls is rummaging through a big toolbox she found, when the door handle turns and she picks up a knife from the bedstand that wasn't there before. She's clearly right-handed yet she holds the knife in her left hand ⦠so it's more convenient for the camera to film the knife?â¨Forget the continuity ⦠but why would you have a kitchen knife in your bedroom and take it for out to check if your friends are behind the door??? Nothing has happened yet. Then she barely checks who's behind the door and just goes back rummaging through the box. ⦠No car will start whilst trying to complete film history's weirdest ehm⦠escape scene?â¨She runs into the house, randomly demanding car keys from her friends, who do not pick up on or do not care about her frantic behaviour and the weird fact that she keeps running in and out asking for someone else's keys. The only redeeming factor in this film is that the main actor who plays Michael has some acting talent⦠but he is completely outshined by the incompetence of ⦠well the rest of the team. There is not a genuine scary moment in this film. The real horror is the fact that this film was made and that it is on Netflix. It is not just an insult to Horror, it is an insult to film industry in general.