American Teacher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Teacher Reviews

August 29, 2013
Well-meaning, but not a very accurate look at today's teachers. I'm a retired teacher and can say that the teachers in this doc. were not the ones I worked with-none had 2nd. jobs. Few of my colleagues spent much extra time or their own money in their classrooms. Also, teachers' salaries have grown significantly in recent years.
June 30, 2013
Very true documentary!
May 18, 2013
This movie is so eye-opening and powerful. It goes into the life of teachers and really exposes our society's misconceptions about the teaching profession. So many of our country's best teachers are not getting enough money, not receiving enough respect, and not able to continue without burning out.One of the most powerful quotes in the movie: "They're not asking to make hundreds of thousands of dollars. They're asking to be able to buy a house, to have a decent car, to live in a nice neighborhood, to have some comforts - to maybe take a vacation every once in a while. And when you have teachers that have to have second jobs, when you have teachers that are living at the poverty level, then I think there is something wrong with that. And as a society, we need to really change that culture. We need to flip it around to say that being a teacher is the most important job in our society."- Mark Bounds (Deputy Superintendent for Educator Quality in South Carolina), American Teacher
½ April 22, 2013
Anecdotal stories of above average teachers - and how some got burned out.
½ February 25, 2013
A movie definitely worth watching. Of course I agree with the general tenor.
January 28, 2013
One of the best documentaries that I've ever seen!
iLeo
½ September 23, 2012
This documentary briefly focuses on the complexities of the public education system. Through a series of interviews, four distinctive educators (ranging across the country) discuss the 'ups and downs' in their careers while giving insight into their own personal lives in and outside the world of teaching. This film gives an interesting perspective upon the history and future of public education. Narrated by Matt Damon (whom also contributed narration to Inside Job and Running the Sahara).
Given the context of this film, it's definitely worthy.
½ June 4, 2012
1% of the American population work as teachers, affecting the other 99% of the population. They are a segment of the workforce that has been mistreated, disregarded, and maligned, and this movie seeks to tell their story. American Teacher is a documentary that is thematically and structurally to other documentaries such as 2008's American Teen, 2010's Waiting for Superman, and Alexandra Robbins' 2011 book The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, all of which feature a journalist (filmmaker or writer) following several individuals across the US over the course of a school year. American Teacher follows five different professionals in various stages of life and career, including a teacher struggling through her maternity leave and subsequent return to work, a Texas history teacher who has to work a second job to make payments, two young teachers struggling with the workload, and a former San Francisco high school teacher who had to quit in order to take a better-paying job. Their stories are interspersed with the requisite statistics, relevant data, appropriate factoids, and timely narrative bursts as the movie moves toward its conclusion: not only are teachers are undervalued, underpaid, and overworked, and the future success of America's education system and economy depends on correcting these injustices and providing a culture in which teachers can overcome the barriers that have become inherent to their chosen profession. One of the primary criticisms I have seen of this film and its relatives is that it is one-sided, as if that somehow invalidates the point it is trying to make. Of course it is one-sided; the movie is trying to make a point that has been neglected and misunderstood; it seems to be no coincidence, after all, that it is part of this growing trend of media making the same point. As a teacher, even as a Canadian, I identified with many of the concerns contained in the film, and I agree with its conclusions; if, as a society, teachers are not valued with status (which includes economic status), and there continues to be the kind of abuse inherent not only in systems of education but also in the practices of teachers' unions and associations, that the profession will continue to decay and erode. This is a must-see for teachers and anyone who wants to see the "human" side of the profession.
April 6, 2012
Pretty good but still doesn't show ALL the things we have to put up with and it doesn't talk about the many pieces of crap that called themselves teachers and don't do shit!
½ March 7, 2012
Just awesome. Powerful without being a total downer but very emotional. These people love what they do and you feel their frustration.
March 6, 2012
Though I valued teachers & the profession before, this movie really heightened my appreciation. Please watch this movie!
½ March 4, 2012
Interesting but dull and not telling me anything I didn't already know (teachers are undervalued and underpaid). I wanted to see more of the undercover footage to really get a sense of the emotional toll the job takes on teachers.
December 22, 2011
my stepmom is a teacher and she faces the same issues but when it came to the financial statistics i was wondering what did the spouses of these teachers do that were featured??? it would have been more compelling if they added two sides to the story. they also never mentioned what the teachers did in the summer to help supplement their income while he film is interesting. it seems very one-sided and a good documentary should show both sides
September 30, 2011