1% of the American population work as teachers, affecting the other 99% of the population. They are a segment of the workforce that has been mistreated, disregarded, and maligned, and this movie seeks to tell their story. American Teacher is a documentary that is thematically and structurally to other documentaries such as 2008's American Teen, 2010's Waiting for Superman, and Alexandra Robbins' 2011 book The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, all of which feature a journalist (filmmaker or writer) following several individuals across the US over the course of a school year. American Teacher follows five different professionals in various stages of life and career, including a teacher struggling through her maternity leave and subsequent return to work, a Texas history teacher who has to work a second job to make payments, two young teachers struggling with the workload, and a former San Francisco high school teacher who had to quit in order to take a better-paying job. Their stories are interspersed with the requisite statistics, relevant data, appropriate factoids, and timely narrative bursts as the movie moves toward its conclusion: not only are teachers are undervalued, underpaid, and overworked, and the future success of America's education system and economy depends on correcting these injustices and providing a culture in which teachers can overcome the barriers that have become inherent to their chosen profession. One of the primary criticisms I have seen of this film and its relatives is that it is one-sided, as if that somehow invalidates the point it is trying to make. Of course it is one-sided; the movie is trying to make a point that has been neglected and misunderstood; it seems to be no coincidence, after all, that it is part of this growing trend of media making the same point. As a teacher, even as a Canadian, I identified with many of the concerns contained in the film, and I agree with its conclusions; if, as a society, teachers are not valued with status (which includes economic status), and there continues to be the kind of abuse inherent not only in systems of education but also in the practices of teachers' unions and associations, that the profession will continue to decay and erode. This is a must-see for teachers and anyone who wants to see the "human" side of the profession.