American Violet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Violet Reviews

April 1, 2016
this is one of my favorite movies of all time
½ May 28, 2015
Inspiring story of a brave woman who faces a corrupt justice system and triumphs. We need more people like her and movies like this one to call attention to what needs to be changed.
April 25, 2015
Excellent movie, as an attorney can say this is one of more accurate legal dramas I have seen. Sorry I didn't hear more about this when released but a very powerful movie and still very timely. Great acting!
November 17, 2013
A brutal look at the violence and injustice of the American way of life which is passionately filmed. The actors bring the raw emotions to the screen with heartache. The ignorant superiority of the white against the black in this true American lifestyle movie comes across strongly showing that Americans are the worst people and society on earth and should be corrected. Nibbles: Chocolate Orange Cake.
October 18, 2013
Wish I'd Seen this Sooner! This true story was told very well and translated well to the screen. Nicole Beharie's performance was fascinating! I've seen a lot of her work recently and some of her other roles sort of blend because of their similarities. This one however definitely stood out. Not simply because it's a bit of a departure from her other characters, but also because of her performance. I was a bit skeptical she was going to make this character believable; by the end I'd all but forgotten it was actually Nicole Beharie on stage. Alfre Woodward was, of course, flawless in this movie. Xzibit's performance surprised me a bit--he was GREAT! Not too over-the-top, not too flat; his work was just right. Films like this can easily drag on, or be a bit slow, often times playing almost like documentaries. This was definitely a film. One I could watch again. Great Film!
August 7, 2013
I enjoyed this depiction of the justice system gone wrong and a fight to fix it .The resolution at the end seemed a little too swift and easy, but otherwise a good picture.
April 8, 2013
Saw the first showing in Telluride while the actual mother and her children saw it for the first time also. Riveting. So glad our country is having the guts to stand up for the the truth now and then. Every little bit helps.
October 26, 2012
Seems way too fictional.
½ October 19, 2012
Pretty movie. It shows what people were and still are like these days sadly.
October 12, 2012
A portrayal of something sad but true, that still sadly goes on in America every day. A very compelling docudrama.
½ October 5, 2012
Undoubtedly one could argue that the USA is the most developed country in the world, however we should not forget that attitudes and standards of living in some parts of the country remain in the dark ages . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
½ September 25, 2012
American Violet is a powerful portrayal of the "bugs" in the criminal justice system. The movie focuses on a true story that happened in Texas, but the sad thing is: its like that everywhere (as do the stats at the end tell you).
Unfortunately I found the way people are treated by governmental agencies very recognizable. You're guilty until proven innocent. And unfortunately pleading guilty is (awkwardly enough) the "easy way" out...

Impressive.
September 18, 2012
"American Violet" is based on the incredible true story of a Texas mother who was unjustly accused of dealing drugs and took a stand against the entire Texas justice system. This film is all about Nicole Beharie and her powerhouse performance. She absolutely becomes this character and, whether she is screaming at her ex-husband or quietly intimidated in prison, each line is delivered with poignant urgency. I really enjoyed the script as it brought full disclosure to the unjust racism in our society. The dialogue flows from start to finish and creates some amazing movie moments along the way, none better than Michael O'Keefe's racist outburst during his deposition. Be prepared for an emotionally-charged experience when you turn on "American Violet" as it dives into life in the projects and a darker side of the justice system.
½ August 30, 2012
Excellent film. Great characters, believable story and acting. Heart wrenching at times but such an important story to tell.
August 16, 2012
I like Alfre Woodard and I think her real life daughter plays in this one.
½ August 7, 2012
Riktigt bra, i stil med "The Color Purple", "The Help" med flera
August 4, 2012
Well done docudrama that will cause you to ponder if we have really moved all that ahead in matters of race.
½ July 21, 2012
Great movie about a true story, it was compelling and the actors were amazing
½ July 18, 2012
Amazing movie. I applauded the heroes who exposed the racist injustice for what it was. Great acting. Gripping story.