American Zombie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Zombie Reviews

November 27, 2010
Loved it especially the ending.
October 11, 2010
blech...imagine M. Night and Ed Wood had a child and that child grew up to make this movie...
October 4, 2010
I was really expecting to like this mockumentary & at 1st I did but after awhile it just went from good to boring.American Zombie was a good idea & had a couple good parts here & there but it didnt have enough to keep my interest
September 20, 2010
I thought this film was super fun! I love zombies! Thank you for making me smile
September 18, 2010
I fucked Austin to this movie.
September 13, 2010
The movie is a little soft on the zombie aspect for my taste. They come off as strangely eccentric humans as opposed to reanimated corpses who have all gone through a violent death.
Nice idea, however. Just needed more and better F/X.
September 10, 2010
I liked this movie a lot. However the setup and execution of the film was great until the turn from comedy to drama and horror. The ending felt very loose and tacked together.
½ September 3, 2010
This mockumentary had so much potential but in the end it failed to deliver. They set up some good steams to use the zombie trope to look at immigration and civil rights issues, but never followed them to the end.
½ August 3, 2010
It had a few good moments but it was slow and the parts you want an explanation of are never explained. It was like a bad Blair Witch Project or reality TV show. It could have been better, but I guess all mock-umentaries have similar flaws.
July 8, 2010
Some interesting ideas, but no real cohesiveness or point.
½ June 26, 2010
Great idea for a mockumentary, but it could have done a lot more. It could have been funnier if it wanted to be in the vein of "A Mighty Wind" or "Best in Show". It also could have been more serious and gone the route of "World War Z" or "Breathers: A Zombie's Lament". What ends up being is not all that funny, lacked any interesting social commentary, and didn't have a strong storyline or characters.
May 2, 2010
WHAT I LIKED? This is one of the most interesting and original horror movies I've seen in a long time.

WHAT I DIDN'T? It is kind of slow.

WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? Definitely worth watching. Don't expect to see your average blood sucking zombies though.
½ April 29, 2010
Kinda slow, kinda dumb, kinda predictable, but I still liked it... it had it's charm. Not something I ever need to see ever again, though. Kinda similar to Zombies Anonymous which was a bit more funny and better paced.
½ April 26, 2010
The movie never goes anywhere until the last fifteen minutes. And once something does happen the movie really foreshadows it, making for no real surprises. The bigger problem is that there is no real tension built in those first 75 minutes. It just keeps going and going and going. Too bad because it has a neat premise, just poor execution.
½ April 24, 2010
Very well-done mockumentary. Lee does a great job of creating a real world for the first two acts, so the third act is suitably tense, because you believe that it's all really happening in spite of yourself. Enjoyable entertainment.
April 19, 2010
Whilst making a documentary, group of filmakers travel around Los Angeles and interview various members of the zombie population.

I am quite a lover of the cinema verite 'mokumentary' style of movie making, and when you add in zombies, it is bound to make me interested. What you get with 'American Zombie' is a good little low budget movie that starts off with a lot of humour and slowly gets darker as it progresses. It completely changes tone in the last 30 minutes, and becomes more of a traditional movie, which does detract a little. The idea of walking and talking zombies will not be to everyone's taste, but I found it a refreshing change that was handled incredibly well. All in all, a fun little movie, and if you are looking for a different take on the tired zombie genre, then you should definately check it out.
April 4, 2010
I like the idea of changing the zombie character into this mockumentary. however this is loose and flawed.
March 23, 2010
people need to be aware and need to take a stand to help them get on their feet and give them the same rights we have!
½ March 6, 2010
Two documentary filmmakers follow a group of zombies as they go about their daily lives dealing with work, roommates, and their decaying bodies. There's even a advocacy group chanting, "We're here, we're dead, get used to it." It's a very clever spin on the modern zombie film, until all the characters head out for Live Dead, an annual zombies-only festival. The film crew gets special permission to film until the last night when they are told to leave but sneak back and capture some disturbing footage. Looks like those zombies were up to something, after all, something we've seen hundreds of times before. Too bad about John.