America's Sweethearts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

America's Sweethearts Reviews

½ February 15, 2014
Whilst it's a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, it's totally unrealistic with a daft storyline. The film is about two former lovers, Gwen Harrison (Catherine Zeta Jones) and Eddie Thomas (John Cusack) who were once known as America's Sweethearts. However Gwen and Eddie's marriage ended when Gwen cheated on Eddie and left him for Spaniard, Hector (Hank Azaria). This lead Eddie to have a nervous breakdown. A year later publicist Lee Phillips (Billy Crystal) has to reunite the two for a press junket to promote their new film, directed by quirky director Hal Weidmann (Christopher Walken). Gwen is accompanied by her humble sister Kiki (Julia Roberts) who is treated like a servant by self-centred Gwen.

Some parts of the film are actually really funny, especially when Hector calls Eddie, "pussy boy" and Lee's unfortunate enounters with a doberman. However the film is really unrealistic and follows the formula of a typical Hollywood rom-com which makes it loose points. Whilst the acting is decent; Catherine Z-J is very good at portraying the typical manipulative diva celebrity and Julia Roberts and John Cusack give sympathetic performances, although I swear Julia Roberts just does the same kind of films all the time. The storyline was a bit stupid and doesn't really portray the real world of celebrity. Apart from a few funny moments this film is too silly to be taken seriously. Whilst it's a fun watch, its like every other late 90s, early 00s rom-com.

Grade: C-
January 14, 2014
Another romantic comedy with a stellar cast not much to say. It's as usual well done but not that funny nor entertaining. It's actually pretty flat & you'll find yourself checking your watch a few times. Julia Roberts has done much better than this forgettable dud.
½ November 29, 2013
"Look, Byron, I want to be honest with you. Before I came down from the room, I took a half a pound of Vicodin, so I'm going to be really comfortable until about late March."
November 16, 2013
Entertaining and pleasant.
August 11, 2013
Okay, but could be better.
July 24, 2013
eh not John Cusacks best
July 24, 2013
An all-star cast, indeed, but the film is lackluster in comedy even in romance. America's
Sweethearts is a rom-com that does no favors in providing attention or even inspiration to the audience despite the amount of stars on display. 3/5
July 21, 2013
Outstanding cast, average performance. I was excited to watch a Billy Crystal film, and although he was great, the movie fell flat. A few good laughs. It's worth a watch if there's nothing else on.
July 12, 2013
As a premise for a movie it is kind of retarded but John Cusack and Julie Roberts really have on screen chemistry. Also is it just me or does the character Catherine Zeta Jones plays in this movie feel like that might be how she actually is in real life? I don't know why but I do think that is how she really easy, that character came to easily to her.
June 16, 2013
Meh. Great idea, bad movie
½ June 15, 2013
I came for the cast but the only hilarious performance was that of Hank Azaria. A poorly done romantic comedy.
½ June 11, 2013
Watching America's Sweethearts is like being on a roller coaster. At times the movie shows charm and funniness but then can fall bland and charmless at other moments making this film an ultimately dull, but cute, romcom. In addition, Julie Roberts practically saves the show from becoming downright terrible.
April 11, 2013
best line in this movie by hank azaria "pooblee seest peace oof cheet"
March 31, 2013
i wanted to see more of that movie that they were showing at the press conference
January 28, 2013
It is boring as the movie starts but it gets exciting as one by one, they reveal a part of what this movie can give us,. Pleasurable it is,. I love the way how it leads to the big twists when Kiki fall in love with Eddie and vice versa., Although it is a little bit predictable, it gives us an idea how some actress (Gwen) behave terribly when facing difficult challenges.
January 22, 2013
I just rewatched the end of this and given all that's happening right now with narcissistic actors (Patti LuPone, Christian Bale), I think this film is more important now than ever. If you are shocked by anything TMZ reports, you are deluding yourself if you think it doesn't go on. That rant aside, this is a delightful, charming movie full of great characters and even better actors. Cusack is great and Walken is hysterical. A great movie about releasing a movie. Very underrated film.
½ December 29, 2012
I didnt care for this movie. Not mu cup of tea! I give it a tumbs down! boo
½ December 27, 2012
I think this chickflick is definalty one of the best films ever made. John Cusack as the hansome film star finding love. Zeta-Jones as the drama queen and Julia Roberts as the quarky sister who is secrety in love with the hansome film star who used to date her drama queen sister. A really good storyline to make you smile, laugh and cry.
November 29, 2012
This is a story about 2 couples, 4 great leading actors, with no chemistry whatsoever between them.