Amistad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amistad Reviews

½ October 21, 2015
A rousing courtroom drama, with thought-provoking reflections on what it means to be free.
October 5, 2015
A very powerful and moving film. One I could watch over again.
October 4, 2015
If film is a language, then Spielberg is fluent in it. He shoots this story of a slavery uprising and the concurrent reactions to it with such harrowing beauty it?s amazing, and he gets astounding performances all around, especially from Hounsou. Nonetheless, his pious sentimentality and inability to bring the courtroom drama segments past the level of dull keeps this from being more than just okay.
½ September 22, 2015
Like Lincoln after it, Amistad is a slow paced drama that some might not have the patience for. Relying on its courtroom drama core, Spielberg tells the compelling story of the Amistad Africans with all the zeal of his better efforts.
½ September 10, 2015
75%
Saw this on 10/9/15
The best of Amistad comes at it's middle when Spielberg so effectively portrays the hardships of the slaves with unbelievable performances, but comparing to other court room dramas, Amistad is a let down and it's final act is so-so full of preachiness. Djimon Hounsou gives a splendid performance and the rest of the cast is also fine. Mathew McConaughey's another court room drama, that too in 1997, also about Racism, A Time to Kill is a better film and gives the actor much space to provide a better performance. I must say that I could not find an extra ordinary film about Racism in the same level in which Schindler's List and Pianist depicted Jew Holocaust.
August 18, 2015
Filmed with a brutal authenticity, even if some details are changed from historical truth. There are fine performances all round but the power behind Spielberg's adaptation lies in making the people captured as slaves characters rather than MacGuffins, despite speaking nary a word of English and without subtitles.
½ July 30, 2015
Amistad is a solid and well directed historical drama by Steven Spielberg
½ July 6, 2015
I was unaware of such a complicated case in U.S. history going to the Supreme Court so early in U.S. History prior to the 1840's and had John Quincy Adams defending the case.

I thought that this movie was pretty good. I was unaware of some of the steps that went into slave ships. This film no doubt about it presents a very graphic image than I had imagined before. Especially seeing slaves purposely drowned because of low food supplies and the crew selectively choosing who gets feed and who does not and slaves eating the food off others faces because they were hungry.

I think that this film was a little too long and could have been cut more to give it more speed because at points it felt a little slow.

The musical score by John Williams reminded me of The Patriot & Lincoln combined to make this film.

The acting and story was very good.
July 6, 2015
Amistad est pétri de bonnes intentions et tient à raconter une histoire édifiante. Le film prend son temps pour bien tout faire comprendre, tous les tenants et aboutissants d'une histoire que Steven Spielberg parvient encore à rendre manichéenne avec quelques plans dont il a le secret et qui détruisent toutes tentatives d'élévation du débat. Les méchants sont très méchants, les gentils très gentils. Tout ceci est donc bien long et quelque peu ennuyeux avant une dernière demi-heure qui remonte un peu le tout, grâce à Anthony Hopkins et Matthew McConaughey. Mais sur 2h35, c'est un peu court.
½ June 21, 2015
Fine, poignant, thrilling dramatic piece of historic drama film that will be hard to forget. However its romanticism of historical events gets in the way of becoming a great film.
June 16, 2015
Stunning film by Spielberg. So fascinating to see Anthony Hopkins play John Quincy Adams. As an avid Adams fan I can tell you his depiction seemed "dead on". He earned an Oscar nomination for his work.
½ June 6, 2015
Sort of wooden and hollow, but moderately powerful.
½ May 15, 2015
Amistad is a well made film. The introduction is very intense, and then the movie turns into a political debate. That's fine, most of it is really well done. But some of those scenes do tend to drag. The cast is overall very good, McConaughey is believable as the lawyer fighting for the slaves rights, and Morgan Freeman is a fellow abolitionist. It has some powerful and memorable scenes, but also some dull and forgettable ones. The movie does tend to drag as it exceeds 2 and a half hours. It is well made, well acted, and pretty interesting though, and definitely worth seeing. Amistad gets 3.5/5 stars (B).
May 3, 2015
Good acting.good story.Not great but worth watching courtroom drama if only for the history lesson.
March 28, 2015
Give us free!

A slave ship carrying cargo for Spain from Cuba is taken over by the slaves and docked in America. The year is 1839 and civil unrest is weighing heavy in the United States where the North believes strongly against slavery and the south believes in the practice. The ship is Spanish property and by treaty, so is the cargo; however, former President John Adams may become inspired by this story to free the slaves on the ship despite the treaty.

"I wanted to kill them too but they convinced some of us that they would take us back home."

Steven Spielberg, director of ET, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Color Purple, and Minority Report, delivers Amistad. The storyline for this picture is interesting and a bit unpredictable. The acting is very good and the storyline is worth following. The cast includes Anthony Hopkins, Matthew McConaughey, Morgan Freeman, Nigel Hawthorne, Anna Paquin, and Djimon Hounsou.

"A dung-scraper may be just the type of man we need now."

Amistad is a movie I came across on Netflix and decided to watch again for the second time ever. This is one of those films you kind of feel like you only need to see once. The movie is fairly good and worthwhile. It probably could have been a little better but tells an interesting tale. I recommend seeing this once but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"You belong with us."

Grade: B
February 25, 2015
AMISTAD is heartfelt, intense and emotional...But it is also about 20 minutes too long, which is one of the only things keeping it from being a true masterpiece.
February 22, 2015
Slavery was important because it gave John Quincy Adams one last shot in front of the Supreme Court.
January 26, 2015
havnt seen this movie in yrs and its amazing. it blew me away a very tragic movie
½ January 3, 2015
Some times it's too dramatic but all in all a gallant effort to depict the history.
December 25, 2014
Some great performances and intense scenes put a face on just a handful of the victims of slavery.