Among Ravens Reviews

• Sep 21, 2015

I think this is the first time that I agree more with the critics than I do with the audience reviews.

• Aug 03, 2014

Woke up still thinking about (more like feeling) this movie. A powerful exploration of so many angles of our modern day messed up relationship culture. Reconnects us to the authenticity of nature by highlighting our false human overlays and uncovering our deeper desire for true forms of freedom and love.

• Jul 26, 2014

LOVED IT! .. I read all of the critic reviews and they were so bad that I had to watch for myself. I bought on ITunes and also went to see in Theater on the big screen .. Honestly .. the critics must all be paid off by the studio's because I don't agree with ANY of them. I mean the film definitely beats to it's own drum .. but that is what i love about it. I love films that are different, that make you think, bring you in to each character and feel what they feel. I walked out of the theater crying it moved me so much. It was really beautiful. Beautifully shot, and that Johnny Sequoia is unreal .. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. WELL DONE ALL AROUND!!!

• Jul 24, 2014

A blended dysfunctional family spends independence weekend at a lake house in this awkward dramedy. The relationships between characters are well defined, the characters themselves are appropriated to their appropriate box of stereotype. I appreciated the dark humor and found myself the only one in the theater snickering a few times. I would say everybody's performances were good, obviously Johnny Sequoia is loaded with talent and a richness beyond her years, but even with the level of talent and quality in performances the characters were difficult to care about. The only one I truly felt came off remotely likeable was Madison, Natalie Imbruglia who played the sales girl at the jewlry store. Visually Among Ravens was stunning, the camera makes you feel like you are there. I understood the metaphors and symbolism but wished the plot points had translated into an actual story with a problem and solution. The film serves up plenty of problems, and would make those who relate to the eccentric cast of characters reflect upon the authenticity of their lives, but does not provide hope. Which I feel was the point intended. Instead it leaves you feeling like you are recovering from having the wind knocked out of you by falling out of tree, and trying to get up only realizing you sprained your ankle, BAD. At the same time, I love it because it's a rebellion, a non traditional pussy slice of life, and if you can find humor in everyone's misery, light a blunt and enjoy the show.

• Jul 24, 2014

Really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with my Mom who was not aware of the "types in the film" but becoming more so via the Internet and TV. She and I were both intrigued on how the story unfolded and the breakdown of each character and felt that it was not commercially fed or dumb down, like most Hollywood films. Though the film maintained an indie quality to it, it is not pretentious and can be enjoyed by a general audience, which is unusual these days. Johnny was an amazing character/actress and awesome all around. She really brought out the story, with her mature ways, but maintained a special innocence throughout the film. A very sweet and a funny film with a twist of reality.

• Jul 23, 2014

Really loved this film. Great characters, plot, sweeping cinematography with an engaging story line.

• Jul 23, 2014

I enjoyed this film. A fresh twist on the "reunion of friends" sub genre. A quirky group of friends get together for the weekend, narrated through the wisdom of a young girl, Joey. So much could be learned from the honest insight of a child, if only these characters weren't so caught up in their crazy and crumbling lives. I loved Chad, the eccentric and awkward nature photographer. The bond he forms with Joey drives the story as they watch the tragic comedy unfold. The metaphors of ravens, cinematography and music score strike the perfect mood. Standout performances by Will McCormack (Chad) and Johnny Sequoyah (Joey). Also notable, Joshua Leonard and the always lovely, Amy Smart.

• Jul 22, 2014

a deeply moving and beautiful film. Stellar soundtrack with rich textures adds to the stunning nature filled backdrop. It delves into the dynamics of relationship in an authentic way. Definitely a must see.

• Jul 22, 2014

A very powerful, wonderful film. A must see for anyone who is in a relationship or ever wants to be in one. It painfully reveals what happens when we don't tend to our relationships, when we put them on the back burner to tend to our other priorities. The acting was right on - honest and raw. The writing captured the human condition so well, the hope we live in, the pain of failure, of not being accepted, of making the wrong choices, the seeking of answers.

• Jul 21, 2014

Excellent filmmaking, well cast and acted. Thought provoking and intelligent.

Excellent filmmaking, well cast and acted. Thought provoking and intelligent.