Amores Perros - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amores Perros Reviews

March 1, 2016
"GRITTY | INCREDIBLE | MASTERPIECE | SUSPENSEFUL | UNFORGETTABLE" (97-out-of-100)
February 6, 2016
4.0/5
Amores Perros often screams gritty ingenuity, but it heavily relies on being emotional and controverisal with each story and sometimes forgets that the other stories matter just as much, making it feel like a fairly uneven but always engaging experience.
½ January 18, 2016
What was the conflict? What was the point? What did I get out of this?
January 4, 2016
"Amores Perros" is a stunning film with a story that fans out like an octopus from a central disaster linking three separate storylines. I found this film to be masterfully executed and more personally touching then most films out today. Each story line and character were so carefully drawn that I remained mesmerized as I experienced the overlapping and out of order narrative. I also felt as though I had been transported to worlds-within-a-world that I had never experienced before. The story is filled with infinite sadness, but leaves one with the feeling of true life authenticity, of having touched some things personal in my own life. Days after seeing the film, my mind is still filled with vivid images and my heart aches from the emotions. This is one of the few films I would give a solid 10. Must see for serious film buffs and dramatic screenwriters.
December 12, 2015
Really enjoyed this. Inarritu is a creative director. Can't wait for The Revenant.
½ November 20, 2015
The first third of the movie almost off because it was so boring and as always the theme of violence and more violence. Then this was compounded with the story of Valeria and maru these two powerful scenes made the film very remarkable.
½ November 7, 2015
González Iñárritu has a unique style for his films before Birdman, of those movies, this is without a doubt the best one
½ November 1, 2015
Amores Perros is perfect, a cult hit incredible and visually spectacular and with a history and a few characters very well developed, the masterpiece that gave the world recognition to Alejandro González Iñárritu is perfect, unique and original. It is like Pulp Fiction, but in Mexico.

Review en Español:
Amores Perros es perfecta, una obra de culto increíble y visualmente espectacular y con una historia y unos personajes muy bien desarrollados, la obra maestra que le dio el reconocimiento mundial a Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu es perfecta, única y original. Es como Pulp Fiction, pero en México.
½ October 9, 2015
August 17, 2015
one of my absolute favorites
August 16, 2015
Absolutely amazing cinematography from Alejandro González Iñárritu! Three stories are simple and very straightforward and they interweaving with one another by each character' s own choices when in their own crossroads. It seems to me that each of the main characters are making somehow wrong decisions from an outsider's eyes and thus, they walked on the path of self-destruction. The story itself is not a happy one, if not too depressing. I think of Requiem for a Dream after watching Amores Perros. Both movies echo with each other... I realized that I am all confused if I should continue to have hopes for my life ahead or just not bother to have any expectations toward life at all...
August 3, 2015
Inarritu's debut film, back when he was good. Most impressive is how after the exhilarating speed of the first act, the second act, something of a domestic drama, slows down considerably and still manages to deliver the goods, perhaps the best piece in the film. I can't say it all ties together successfully (act three should have made us care about the protagonist's relationship with his daughter) but on the bright side, it does beat Birdman.
½ July 31, 2015
Intense, thought provoking, and gritty, Amores Perros is an ambitious drama thriller divided into three separate storylines, all of which share connections of loss, love, betrayal, and death!
July 13, 2015
Three gritty and disturbing stories about dogs, all interlinked in a unchronological way that, like pulp fiction, gives you a challenge to pinpoint the start and finish points.
June 28, 2015
Alejandro González Iñárritu's debut and his first entry in the so-called "Trilogy of Death" (21 Grams and Babel followed) is a brutally commanding, red raw, multi-stranded drama about a horrific car accident that brings together a hobo turned rouge hitman, a model who's career is marred by her injuries, and a young delinquent entering his dog in fights so he can run off with his sister-in-law. Death, violence, desperation and Mexico's seedy underbelly is a major theme, so don't expect any silver-lining. On the surface Amores Perros is a desolate film that revels in going to war with you comfort zone, and while most of the time the bleakness does threaten to overwhelm the film, under the vileness Ameros Perros is a captivating character study about the domino-effect of our actions that hooks you like an aircraft carrier's arrestor wire. Just don't expect to feel good after watching it.
½ June 21, 2015
Amores Perros is brilliantly crafted to be as gut wrenching as it is intense. Probably one of the best directorial debuts of all time, filled with groundbreaking performances and accompanied by a brilliant original score. Definitely, a movie that would stick to your mind for a very very long time.
½ June 19, 2015
Fantastic And heartbreaking movie, Alejandro Inarritu's (Director of Birdman) breakthrough film covers the lives of 3 people involved in a car accident in his native Mexico. The story weaves effortlessly the lives of the characters making them feel human and real. This film could also be seen as anthology of sorts porting the relationships between man and dogs in their stories. The cinematography is gritty and real and the soundtrack provides the right moods and setting to these lives. Standout performer would be Emilio Echevarría as the hobo/hitman character with an appreciation for the Hollies. As with all of Inarittu's work, This comes Highly Recommended from myself
June 15, 2015
One of the saddest films ever made. The violence is very realistic, and the stories are deeply depressing. A lot of it has to do with Dogs.. my soft spot. I don't recommend watching this film if you aren't prepared for it, but I HIGHLY recommend it overall. It towers as perhaps the finest Mexican film ever made. How amazing is it to know that it was the first film made by Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu. The beginning of a nearly flawless line of epic dramas.