Amour (2012) - Rotten Tomatoes

Amour (2012)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: With towering performances and an unflinching script from Michael Haneke, Amour represents an honest, heartwrenching depiction of deep love and responsibility.

Movie Info

Georges and Anne are in their eighties. They are cultivated, retired music teachers. Their daughter, who is also a musician, lives abroad with her family. One day, Anne has an attack. The couple's bond of love is severely tested. -- (C) Official Sitemore
Rating: PG-13 (for mature thematic material including a disturbing act, and for brief language)
Genre: Art House & International, Drama
Runtime:
Sony Pictures Classics - Official Site

News & Interviews for Amour

Critic Reviews for Amour

All Critics (198) | Top Critics (53)

This is realism that enlarges our conception of the term.

Full Review… | June 17, 2013
The New Republic
Top Critic

Now at the end of the year comes a masterpiece, not just the best of the year, but one of the best ever: Michael Haneke's Amour.

Full Review… | June 13, 2013
The New Republic
Top Critic

Beautifully shot, powerfully acted, and skillfully composed, Amour is worth pursuing.

Full Review… | April 13, 2016
Dig Boston

Does what it sets out to do, expertly weaving together the monotony of everyday life, the nauseating horror of mortality, and the most esoteric corners of the human mind.

Full Review… | April 8, 2016
Cinemixtape

It's a chilling, pitiless vision that offers no relief, just a portrait of decline.

Full Review… | May 12, 2015
The Improper Bostonian

Michael Haneke's profound new film Amour is far from your standard Hollywood romance. It is also a more nuanced, challenging and thought-provoking experience than that one word might lead you to believe.

Full Review… | April 7, 2015
Montreal Gazette

Audience Reviews for Amour

It is always impressive to see how Haneke can be so subtle and forceful as with this magnificent and devastating oeuvre about aging, devotion, love and death - a work that surprises us for its deep tenderness and honesty while striking us with an overwhelming emotional power.

blacksheepboy
Carlos Magalhães

½

Good lord....the pace of this movie was excruciating!! I get that it was emotional, moving, and the entire idea very heartfelt. HOWEVER, it was sooooo long, and soooooo slow. I couldn't take it. After the first 40 min, I ended up watching the rest on slow fast forward. Oh you French movie lovers! How do you sit through these?? sigh...

itsjustme2004
Cynthia S.

½

An intimate, delicate portrayal of an older couple and how the wife (Emmanuelle Riva) begins to fail in health, and how her husband (Jean-Louis Trinitgnant) struggles to keep up with her many needs and she slips further into depression and poor health. Director Michael Haneke has acquired the reputation of a director who is not afraid to pull out tricks out of his sleeve, and he does so here at one big moment, but ultimately this is a mostly straightforward, realistic look at getting older and the slippery slope keeping in good health becomes over time. It is a sad, somber, pretty slow-moving story, but one that needs to be in order to get the message across correctly. The twist that occurs is definitely unsettling, but also one that is not predictable at all given the nature of the story. It is a hard-hitting look at love and seeing someone die in front of you in a quick, alarming way, but it is all handled phenomenally well by a master behind the camera in Haneke.

Dan Schultz
Dan Schultz

Amour Quotes

Anne: It's beautiful. Life. Long.
– Submitted by Frances H (2 years ago)
Anne: You don't have to hold my hand all the time. I can take care of myself, you know.
– Submitted by Frances H (2 years ago)
Georges: Things will go on as they have done up until now. They'll go from bad to worse. Things will go on, and then one day it will all be over.
– Submitted by Ahsan H (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss Amour on our Movie forum!