Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amour Reviews

October 4, 2015
Amazing, poignant film about stroke. Everything about it is perfect.
October 4, 2015
This film pulls no punches about aging, illness and dying. Yet, the duel performances of the main characters show a couple coping gracefully, albeit severely struggling with end of life dilemmas. The director artfully captures the day to day banalities of life for older people rarely portrayed in narrative film.
September 26, 2015
A hauntingly beautiful piece of realism that while not always easy to watch, stays with you on the strength of the direction and performances.
August 11, 2015
A very emotional, well acted, completely boring movie that I liked but never want to see again.
August 7, 2015
Best movie to have come out of 2012, and also one of the best movies ever. Now, my reason for saying so:

Amour starts with a scene, already depicting the emotions you are going to experience as the film progresses. We have two main characters, Anne and Georges. They are both written, acted, and directed so well, that there interactions with each other, seems so real. The movie has a constant pace, and for 2 hours, it felt like a 1 hour and 30 minute film. Haneke's direction is so simple, yet so great, it moves the movie in an unparalleled, almost unprecedented way, that it is surprising he didn't get an oscar for his effort. (But awards are awards, and doesn't mean a thing.)

The movie has no music, and we only get short bursts of it, whenever the characters use instruments or listen. And the movie requires no music. Their interactions with their environment is the score itself. The touch of materials, the footsteps, them talking, is like little fragments of music, rupturing in our ears.

There are scenes in particular, involving a bird, Georges, and a window. Now these scenes are beautiful, and for me personally, describes how desolate their house has become. How barren things have turned, since Anne's sickness, and death.

This movie is definite must-see, and I recommend to anyone. We need more movies like this. Please, watch it!
½ August 4, 2015
It's a simple narrative but superbly acted and directed... so much so you hardly notice that there's only one location for most of the film.
August 3, 2015
Amour is a slow paced, but well acted and well directed piece of foreign cinema
½ July 29, 2015
The beginning 30 or 40 minutes are boring. Really boring. Very boring. Deadly boring.
Then, something happens, and the film changes to just boring. It keeps this state to the end. Even what, I suppose, are strong scenes (there is a murder, at one point), did not raise any emotion in me. And, about at half, I decided to help with some wine (Bardolino Chiaretto, yes, I am from Italy). But, despite the good qualities of this wine renowned for bringing merry mood, nothing happened.
If it were not for Lost in Translation, I would consider this the most boring movie I have ever seen.
However, it is depressive.
I am quite surprised it premiered at Cannes, because there is no sex at all.
I did not like it.
July 15, 2015
One of the best movies of all time
June 19, 2015
Amour is probably the best of 2012 out of all the films I've seen from that year. I was anticipating a tearjerker with massive artistic merit, but instead I received a brutally honest, riveting, and above all challenging film about coping with suffering, mortality, and distinguishing genuine love. The leads are both excellent, as is the dialogue, and the symbolism throughout is very well done. Amour will stick with me for a while, and that's exactly the type of film we need nowadays. Verdict: A+
½ May 31, 2015
A slow film with random, unnecessary scenes, such as the bird scenes, But touching and poignant, nevertheless.
½ May 22, 2015
Absolute rubbish. Depravity - an old man murders his wife-how can there be 'love' in that?
½ May 9, 2015
Kind of the antithesis to the Hollywood 'illness' movies. There are no bald heads and Hallmark sentiments here, this is death and love and nothing is spared to the viewer. I have to be honest though, I found this excruciatingly slow. Whether intended or not it stopped me from fully connecting with the story despite enjoying it in sections.
April 15, 2015
This gets justifiably good reviews from just about everyone. It's a hard watch and I've been reluctant to sit down to it, but it's an excellent exploration of love, life and death. Increasingly as I've got older I've come to appreciate the courage of older actors who address their own mortality in roles such as these. God help us all to deal with courage with the inevitability of our dying.
April 10, 2015
Painful. Horrid. Tragic. Stunning. Beautiful. Unforgettable. A perfect study of love and devotion. Not for the faint of heart, but I find it hard to imagine anyone missing it. Brilliant.
April 9, 2015
Amour is a beautiful French film that gets almost everything right. It uses emotion and subtle dialogue to pull viewers into the difficult times of this elderly couple. The film doesn't sugar coat anything but instead let's us feel what many real people would experience as life comes crashing down. The ending is symbolic and thought provoking. Well worthy of its Oscar win.
March 28, 2015
An extraordinary story starring by two old actors who give acting classes and a great script without mistakes. 10/10
March 26, 2015
A slow paced movie about a woman's slow demise and the difficulties faced by her and her husband. But the sentiment and love is definitely there. AAN. AAWFL. 1001
March 18, 2015
It's rear to see a film about old people. Here we meet Georges and Anne, a couple of retired music teachers in their eighties. This is a very real film, with loads of humanity and emotions. Haneke says it's his most personal one. However it still got that sense that something terrible is going to happen real soon. His signature touch.

Lovely in every way. Superbly acted, superbly directed. Slow, in a way I guess, but I never found it boring. Simple but perfected, it's in no way unreal - it's very honest. No shots are unnecessary. Not even two seconds of the film. Impressive since it's all shot in a few rooms of a house. loads of great scenes, I dig the pigeon scene especially. It makes you think afterwards. Was it really a love story? What about the crimes? Death versus dying? Fantastic.

Many people would say it's super sad. Well, I think not. It's emotional all right, but it's a very natural and beautiful film. No dramatic or true sentimental stuff are shown. It's an honouring of love in a way.

Huppert is there of course, but there are really just two actors here. They really deliver. One of my top three Haneke's, maybe even my favorite. It has more warmth than his other flicks, still it's a classic Haneke. Surely one of the best films of 2012.

I wanted to learn how to play the piano after watching this. Piano teachers better have their phones plugged in.

9.5 out of 10 pigeons.
February 21, 2015
Doesn't dip into sentimentality but portrays the struggle with end of life decisions with an honest approach. Which, of course, means there are moments in which it's hard not to feel so much pain for the characters and the decisions made.