An Inspector Calls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Inspector Calls Reviews

February 10, 2016
It is interesting how the movie's called "An inspector Calls" and the call is made at the end of the movie. Great.
February 2, 2016
The Twilight Zone didn't just appear out of thin air, there were many progenitors. In this one a well-to-do English family is visited by a police investigator looking into the death of a young woman. In what is partly a commentary on the generation gap, but mainly a ugly finger pointing at the class divide, this message movie remains interesting while delivering its pertinent if ever unheeded message. Very good.
July 14, 2015
Excellent classic British film making at its best.
½ March 30, 2015
Modern dramas don't seem as technologically superior like An Inspector Calls' film-noir aesthetic was in 1954.
½ March 14, 2015
For a 1950's film, it had a gripping story line and was very realistic.
½ September 23, 2014
Superb drama, originally a play. A simple story which beautifully unravels and ends wonderfully. Just shows simple dramas and stories are more powerful than the biggest of action movies. Superb direction and acting.
½ May 23, 2014
A prophetic critic on the upper classes and their attitudes to the subservient classes emanating in a post-Victorian society. Alastair Sim is a great choice for the mild mannered, thoughtful, clever and ultimately mysterious inspector.
½ May 16, 2014
Even though this film is quite dated (as of now, this film is sixty years old), there's something I think the viewer can learn from it, and that's something the viewer can only realize after watching the film. The story, though the film is only 80 minutes in length, is very clever, and it plays with various ideas from J.B. Priestley's original play, particularly focusing on a certain, supposedly supernatural element of the eponymous inspector's character. In the film, Alastair Sim seems to resemble a ghost, though that might just be because the film is shot in black and white. The characters are all cleverly written and brilliantly played. For me, the script perfectly illustrates the society that J.B. Priestley was trying to depict in his original play. For me, the fact that the film is in black and white doesn't actually bother me at all. In fact, it's actually better in black and white than it could be in colour, partly because it adds some depth to the film's atmosphere. Overall, it's a great film that can be interpreted in any way by the user, and I'd recommend this film to anyone looking for old-fashioned classics.
½ June 2, 2012
Fairly straight adaptation of stage play; Alastair Sim suitably surreal, casual but intense
May 10, 2012
Nice but astray! The story remains a great example of how everyone's lives link into each others, and I like the way the film advances from the one-room setting of the original stage play. However, I feel that Hamilton tried to make the adaptation too suited for the movie by wedging in unneeded and ineffective supernatural parts, as well as odd direction and added guff to J.B. Priestley's' original script.
May 8, 2012
Wonderful performance in a compelling, well-written film--Excellent - A unique masterpiece!!
½ April 12, 2012
A slow plodding film that relies far too much on that fact its based off a well known play by a well known playwright, adding nothing new to story or plot to really show of its merits.
December 20, 2011
It's easy to see why this adaptation of the famous stage production is considered a classic.
October 9, 2010
ive read the playy..
September 5, 2010
Marvellously eerie and brimming with menace and tension, this is simply not to be missed. They just don't make films like this anymore. This is a must for fans of films such as 'Rope' and 'Dead of Night'. The story has quite a few holes which is a bit frustrating but ultimately it just adds to the mystery
½ June 6, 2010
I have read the play and the film lives up to its source. Alastair Sim plays his part to perfection.
April 11, 2010
Yes, i did watched it only because i was too lazy to actually read the play... and it was amazing ! it's well acted with a subtle humor, its like watching a Christmas Carol movie but a way more mysterious and realistic.Its one of the rare movies that really shows the social structure of that time and the differences between the older and the younger generations. Definitely worth seeing.
March 21, 2010
I really enjoyed this film.
My English class kicked the arse out of the book but i still enjoyed it and then we sat down to watch this cleverly writen, well acted, mystery film which allows the audience to draw up their own conclusions!
½ March 7, 2010
A scathing critique of the hypocrises of Victorian/Edwardian English society and an excellent adaptation of J.B. Priestley's classic play, there couldn't have been a better inspector, than the brilliant Alastair Sim who is at his very best. A masterpiece.
February 7, 2010
I read the book on the same title at my school. Then, after finishing it, our class watched the movie. I liked the plot of the movie.