An American Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American Carol Reviews

March 28, 2017
Funny biting critique of leftard Hollyweird so of course leftists hate it. Good movie for those looking for real political comedy that's more than leftist propaganda
½ December 26, 2016
I don't agree with the politics in it, and it misses far more often than it hits, but it has a few laughs. Unfortunately, it's also shockingly Islamaphobic and seems to think fat jokes are the height of comedy.
December 24, 2016
The left always has shows and movies trying to make fun of conservatives then when a funny movie like this is made all the liberals cry.
September 24, 2016
Review in one word...... Painful.
September 19, 2016
One of the funniest movie ever!
January 3, 2016
This is one legitimately funny movie. I feel like a lot of spoof movies uplately started getting terrible reputation because of the bad quality of a bunch of them, so when a good one comes out, people are "too cool" to admit they actually like them. Not all of the jokes are good, but I'd say it's worth watching
½ January 3, 2016
Having seen both "Bowling for Columbine" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" I can't say I'm really impressed by Michael Moore. In the hands of Michael Moore, US politics turns into a simplistic me-vs-you game where Republicans are all stupid gun-toting white thrash and Liberals are decent educated citizens who want to save the US from the stupidity of the right. The fact that Bush and Obama are both mere puppets of Wall Street moguls is something Moore seems to be entirely unaware of as he hails the Democratic party for their greatness.

Then there's this piece of thrash called "An American Carol" also known as "Big Far Important Movie" in Europe. Considering I'm pretty critical of the pseudo-dissident propaganda Moore called documentaries myself, I was curious to see a parody film focusing of a Moore caricature. Boy oh boy...

When Bush-supporters saw Moore's liberal propaganda, they must have figured : let's do the same. No wait, they figured, let's make it a film even MORE exaggerated, MORE distorted, MORE offensive and dealing with LESS to the point arguments. Why not make it a comedy, so we don't really need to make an effort to at least pretend we have an argument like you would have to if you make a documentary. Let's just bring this film at the level of the absolute lowest common denominator (the kind of people who enjoyed "Scare Movie 3") so we're certain we won't go over the heads of our target audience. Such a movie will show all those evil liberals and all the Eurotrash out there that America is number one.... number one.... number one..... Vor uns liegt Amerika, in uns marschiert Amerika, und hinter uns kommt Amerika!

Anyway... Unless you want to take a look at how low American "neo-conservatism" can go in an attempt to hire more recruits and flame the liberals, then watch this film. If you're an "Intelligent Design" (which is apparently NOT the same as Creationism although there is technically no real difference) supporting Christion-Zionist WASP, then watch this film. Everyone else, spare the effort. It's not really funny, the jokes are not to the point and it stars Bill O' Reilly of all people.

Oh, and I'm a European conservative... not a liberal, not a Muslim and not a pacifist. I'm a European conservative who seriously wonders where American conservatism went wrong.
½ April 26, 2015
Bizarre, politically challenged (JFK as a Republican?), and obnoxiously unfunny, David Zucker has struggled with his dated brand of slapstick absurdities since the Naked Gun franchise ended but here he is just pathetic. Yes, you hate Michael Moore we get it. It's not worth making an entire movie over. An unfunny comedy is one of cinema's greatest sins and An American Carol accomplishes being the first comedy not even make me smile once. ONCE. Jack and Jill make me chuckle at Al Pacino and Movie 43 got a smile out of the phrase "weird pubes" but this... this movie gave me nothing. This is without a doubt the worst comedy I've ever seen in my entire life. It's so shockingly inept that it's downright pathetic. At least Movie 43 offended me, An American Carol is downright sad. You feel bad for everyone involved.
½ April 23, 2015
The key to satire is that it needs to actually be funny. This isn't. Just a bunch of tired gags, revisionist history, and the usual racist and homophobic "humor" that dittoheads love. The cast is made up of Hollywood rightwingers (Kelsey Grammer, Robert Davi, Bill O'Reilly, Jon Voight), has-beens (Gary Coleman), attention whores (Paris Hilton), and incredibly bad celeb impersonators. Oh yeah, Michael Moore DID direct a feature which was only so-so, but, compared to this, CANADIAN BACON is genius!
March 10, 2015
No stars. No matter which way you lean...this movie is not funny for anybody.
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/21/2010)
½ July 18, 2014
Pour son dernier film en date, David Zucker a décidé de faire une comédie parodique conservative qui critique et pastiche les films de Michael Moore. Bien évidemment, Kevin Farley passe le film à manger et à traiter les Américains de porcs, tandis que les guests-stars (souvent washed up) s'enchaînent à vitesse grand V sans que les gags soient réellement réussis (ni même travaillés). Le film fait mouche 3 ou 4 fois, spécialement dans le premier quart d'heure, mais à l'image de Robert Davi, le méchant du film, il est surtout pathétique et reste trop longtemps à l'écran, même à seulement 1h30. Même Leslie Nielsen et Kelsey Grammer ne peuvent sauver ce vaisseau en perdition.
July 4, 2014
Intrepid for its Conservative viewpoint while still delivering on the laughter, An American Carol may be dated in some instances but still has input that is good for Americans to hear even today.
April 20, 2014
Fantastic movie. A little choppy in its flow it is but has a lot a great lines and an overall truthful point.
March 7, 2014
David Zucker (director of Airplane!) uses Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol as his framework in this at times amusing satire of American progressives, and more specifically film director Michael Moore. Kevin Farley ably skewers the baseball-capped filmmaker - in the film he's Michael Malone - as a Scrooge like Hollywood leftist in need of political re-education. Kelsey Grammer portrays George S. Patton - as the Ghost of Christmas past - who helps him see the patriotic light. For veritas, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly plays himself moderating a discussing between leftists Farley and Vicki who credibly portrays Rosie O'Donnell.

Poking fun of Michael Moore should be an easy task to accomplish, but, in this case, has more misses than hits when it comes to generating laughter whether it's smart or dumb comedy. The film was at its best when lampooning Hollywood elitists, leftist professors and their simple minded students. It's fun to watch Paris Hilton and Bill O'Reilly briefly play an over-the-top version of themselves onscreen. There's also an amusing, lively scene where a bunch of teachers sing and dance to a musical number while dressed like they're from the hippies of the 60s. However, it was too often dragged down by its side story: Islamic terrorists who use a gullible filmmaker as an unwitting tool to detonate a bomb at a concert for U.S. servicemen.

Some bright spots do shine through however. There are several genuinely funny, laugh-out-loud moments, one of which involves Bill O'Reilly interviewing Malone and an appropriately annoying Rosie O'Donnell (Rosie O'Connell played pitch perfect by Vicki Browne). Yet another pokes fun at the ACLU in an over-the-top courtroom scene. And last but not least, Trace Adkins, as the Angel of Death, takes Malone on a tour of the future Hollywood, now called Bin Laden City since America lost the war on terror.

The film boasts a nice cast that would have been better served if they used their talents elsewhere. Kevin Farley comes across strong in his portrayal of the perpetually unkempt (and unwashed?) Moore. He brings a lot of the attributes his brother Chris possessed that made him so popular with his fans. Kelsey Grammer comes across as pompous and ramrod straight as we might imagine Patton to have been in real life and Jon Voight lends an air of dignity to the show in his portrayal of George Washington. Robert Davi, on the other hand, looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. The very talented, though underappreciated Grier is wasted in an embarrassing slavery sequence. And Leslie Nielsen seemed completely out of place playing a grandfather despite this sort of slapstick material being his forte.

The humor in An American Carol is in the broad, slapstick tradition of Airplane!, but doesn't live up to that hysterically funny movie. It's a pedestrian effort at best, the comedic hi-jinks more contrived than funny. An American Carol just tries too hard.
February 16, 2014
Not worth watching. It was not funny. It was just a waste of time.
December 9, 2013
A pretty retarded parody, which you could have guessed just from the fact that Leslie Nielsen is in it. Most of the jokes are centered towards mocking Michael Moore and Talibans. The thing I hated the most was probably how the producers dared to use a joke from The Onion Movie, not reproduce it but use the whole exact scene.
September 7, 2013
Worst movie I have ever seen!!!
½ July 22, 2013
This movie would have been better served if it were simply a 4th of July version of a Christmas Carol: light holiday fare with a moral compass. Alas, the script is meandering, the characters are shallow, and out of two memorable scenes, one was lifted from The Onion Movie. Disappointing.
½ May 16, 2013
An over-satirized, poking fun at Michael Moore movie tries too hard to be funny.